2008 Beijing Olympics Thread

Talk about cricket, soccer, tennis, rugby, whatever you like. Talk about it here!

Gyoza
Club Captain

Re: 2008 Beijing Olympics Thread

Post by Gyoza »

bomberdonnie wrote:Too much gymnastics is never enough!!

Is channel 7 the worst at covering sport?
You could be forgiven for thinking so....until you made your way over here and saw the complete fuckup the Japanese make of Olympic coverage.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

BomberinJapan wrote:

You could be forgiven for thinking so....until you made your way over here and saw the complete fuckup the Japanese make of Olympic coverage.
Yeah but I bet they dont have Tom Williams, Sonia Kruger and Bruce McAvaney commentating with Daniel Kowalski spitting all over the microphone!!?!?
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Gold and Bronze in the women's triathlon
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Boomers flying against Lithuania 26-8
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Dont be fooled the basketball is well over

Here is the result if you want to see the score

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/I ... #BKM400A14
The Fly
High Draft Pick

Post by The Fly »

Ye-ha. Did that save our skin and provide passage to the next round or not? I think we had to win against both Russia & the Liths.
The Fly
High Draft Pick

Post by The Fly »

Go to SBS and enjoy the women's volleyball. Absolutely sensational. I'm moving to Poland to stalk their team... :wink:
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

How do the final standings work int eh basketball...is it just points for v Points against for a final percentage or is it head to head results?

If it's head to head, then we will be playing the yanks in the quarter final :(
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

The Fly wrote:Ye-ha. Did that save our skin and provide passage to the next round or not? I think we had to win against both Russia & the Liths.
We're through.

BD I prefer to pretend and watch the sport "live."

I think we have the Yanks.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Gold to the girls in Sailing too. =D>
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

swoodley wrote:How do the final standings work int eh basketball...is it just points for v Points against for a final percentage or is it head to head results?

From what I can gather (and this is by no means definitive, I'm bloody confused) IF Russia beats Argentina then Us, Croatia and Argentina will all be tied on 3-2 which means its then decided on % meaning we get 2nd.
If Argentina beats Russia (more likely) then we are level with Croatia on 3-2 and it comes down to H 2 H which puts us in 4th.

NOTE: 7 and SEN are saying we play Spain next round. Take from that what you want.

Guys won the sailing earlier to
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

boncer34 wrote:
swoodley wrote:How do the final standings work int eh basketball...is it just points for v Points against for a final percentage or is it head to head results?

From what I can gather (and this is by no means definitive, I'm bloody confused) IF Russia beats Argentina then Us, Croatia and Argentina will all be tied on 3-2 which means its then decided on % meaning we get 2nd.
If Argentina beats Russia (more likely) then we are level with Croatia on 3-2 and it comes down to H 2 H which puts us in 4th.

NOTE: 7 and SEN are saying we play Spain next round. Take from that what you want.

Guys won the sailing earlier to
Thanks Bonce

foxsports are saying that we play the US next :?

I suppose all will come clear either tonight or tomorrow.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

We are playing the US, and we will get absolutely pummled from pillar to post. Not a hope in hell.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

haha f*** that would hurt

The kiwi commentators were finny ezzz

'stop showing it we dont want to see it' Of course they keep watching it!!
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

That clip is sickening, easily the most revolting sporting injury I've seen

Anyone else revolted by the fact that we are behind the Poms on the medal tally, it bloody sickening!!!

I suppose the difference is that at Athens we absolutely dominated the cycling with 6 golds and this time the Poms are, that and the bastards stole a couple in the pool and we missed quite a few in the pool I reckon the tea, would have penciled in as golds (1500m, men's and women's 100m, women's 200m fly and breaststroke). Can anyone remember the last Olympics that the Australian men failed to win a single Gold medal in any event??

Emma Snowsill won the gold in the women's triathlon and Emma Moffat the bronze and both the Men's and Women's 490 crews won gold in the sailing today as well.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

ealesy wrote:That clip is sickening, easily the most revolting sporting injury I've seen

Anyone else revolted by the fact that we are behind the Poms on the medal tally, it bloody sickening!!!

I suppose the difference is that at Athens we absolutely dominated the cycling with 6 golds and this time the Poms are, that and the bastards stole a couple in the pool and we missed quite a few in the pool I reckon the tea, would have penciled in as golds (1500m, men's and women's 100m, women's 200m fly and breaststroke). Can anyone remember the last Olympics that the Australian men failed to win a single Gold medal in any event??

Emma Snowsill won the gold in the women's triathlon and Emma Moffat the bronze and both the Men's and Women's 490 crews won gold in the sailing today as well.
Montreal, 1972.

The Poms have been pumping huge amounts of money into their sporting programs since 2005, when it was announced they were going to hold the 2012 Olympics. John Coates was on ABC radio this morning and he intimated pretty strongly that that's the reason behind their sudden improvement. I must admit though that it is strange watching them win stuff...not that this prevents them from still being a nation of pasty, fat, butt-ugly plonkers.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
ealesy wrote:That clip is sickening, easily the most revolting sporting injury I've seen

Montreal, 1972.
Ah yes we didn't win a single gold at Montreal, and this was seen as so unacceptable it resulted in the commissioning of the AIS to rectify this national disgrace
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

I tell you, if we by some freak of nature manage to beat the United States on Wednesday, that would shoot straight to the top of the list of Australian sporting achievements.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

ealesy wrote:
I live with 2 poms and 3 Kiwi's.

We lost the bronze medal race to the Kiwi's last night as well. I just have to say, "Dear Australian olympians PULL YOUR f****** FINGERS OUTTA YOUR ASS'S AND GO BACK TO DOMINATING THESE 2 IDIOTS." Any more British domination and I think I'll lock myself in my room for the next 4 years. :(