Ashes 2010/11

Talk about cricket, soccer, tennis, rugby, whatever you like. Talk about it here!

j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Re: Ashes 2010/11

Post by j-mac31 »

Also this on (perhaps) why our young fast bowlers keep getting injured: #-o
Former Test paceman Geoff Lawson said Australia's up-and-coming fast bowlers were not fully prepared for the rigours of first-class cricket. ''They're making young bowlers from 16 onwards bowl less and they're getting more injuries,'' he said.
''They've got sports medicine people who don't know cricket, so they ignore the history of the game and how every time someone gets a niggle, they stop and rest.
''That makes you more prone to breaking down. It's not in every case but you've got to bowl, you've got to make your body resistant to the stresses of the game.''
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/ ... 199a9.html
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

Rode in from Wyndham Vale to the G for the end of the game today. Figured I may as well got something constructive out of the day.
Ride was good, and Barmy Army really are good value and excellent cricket fans.
Australian team is rubbish. Well done to Haddin and Siddle for fighting it out a bit (dumb shot by Siddle in the end unfortunately...would have loved to see him get to 50.)

Expecting to see the following side in Sydney:

Watson
Hughes
Khawja (assuming Ponting misses due to injury)
Clarke (c)
Hussey
Smith
Haddin
Johnson
Siddle
Beer
Hilfenhaus

OHHHHHHHH MITCHELL JOHNSON, YOUR BOWLING IS SHITE!
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

lol who is "cricket writer" Malcom Conn???
On Channel 10 news saying Ponting needs to go and future of Aus cricket is not any brighter than now.
Piss off mate.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Shaun Marsh? His technique is nearly as bad as Hughes and he has also been doing bugger all the past 2 years. Hughes needs to learn that on a pitch that offers a bit to the bowlers, he needs to be patient and play with a straight bat.

Khawaja is coming in and Ponting should drop to 4 and Clarke f***** off all together. Clarke is very good tactically but if he going to be captain, then he can only bat at 5 or 6, he doesn't have the mental strength to bat at 4 and be captain.

As for Watson, at least he is making runs, however his calling between the wickets is an obvious problem.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Rossoneri wrote:Shaun Marsh? His technique is nearly as bad as Hughes and he has also been doing bugger all the past 2 years. Hughes needs to learn that on a pitch that offers a bit to the bowlers, he needs to be patient and play with a straight bat.

Khawaja is coming in and Ponting should drop to 4 and Clarke f***** off all together. Clarke is very good tactically but if he going to be captain, then he can only bat at 5 or 6, he doesn't have the mental strength to bat at 4 and be captain.

As for Watson, at least he is making runs, however his calling between the wickets is an obvious problem.
Love Watto, but he's gotta start cashing in. He looks a million bucks when he bats, but then he just finds a way of getting out. He'll be a very dominant batsman in world cricket in a year or two. Once he breaks through with a big hundred, I reckon there'll be no stopping him.
Essendunny
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

I don't mind Watto making 50's and 60's so much, as long as when he loses form, he can still make them as well. The way I see it, he is the bloke taking the shine off the ball, softening it up which "SHOULD" be making it easier for the middle order batsman. If someone like a Hughes or another opener have a good convertion rate of 50's to 100's and average roughly 45-55, then Watson is doing his job.

I liken Watson to someone like Chopra (Watson is more talented however) who played a few years ago for India down here. Chopra was pretty ordinary and very dour, but what he did we was face alot of balls, took pride in his wicket and by the time we got to Tendulka, Dravid and Laxman the ball was 25-35 overs old and nearly impossible to get them out.

I would love to see Watson score a few big hundreds, but lets remember that he is a #6 batsman opening the batting. If he gets 50' and 60's, if one of the full-time batsman can do their job and get a ton, then it will eleviate some of the pressure from Watson
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

OK now the Fifth test team has been picked, let's ride out the series.

Let's give it a new start afterwards, we need to look to consolidate and look to the future.

Our focus after the World Cup needs to be for away series' in Sri Lanka and Sth Africa.

Ponting, I hope, is not finished as a test player, but needs to be free of captaincy. If Ponting WAS to go I'd have Watson down the order and Hughes or S Marsh as opener.

Smith vs. White. We get a ready made captain and don't lose in bowling. Smith will be a great player, we are putting him in the gun too early. Keep him in the one day / 20-20 system to keep him hungry.

Klinger deserves a go while Hughes (works out his technique issues)

A.McDonald/S Watson are a good fourth bowling option, both honest and both give stabililty with the bat.

My 1st test team (squad) vs. SRi Lanka

M. Klinger
S.Watson
U. Khawaja
R. Ponting
M.Clarke
C.White (capt)
B.Haddin
A.McDonald
M.Johnson
P.Siddle
B Hilfenhaus
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

If these things were judged on ''performance and not perception'' (thanks, T.Nielsen) Clarke wouldn't be in this side. All this face saving bullshit only highlights the absurdity of this whole situation. If we need a new (acting) captain, it should go to the man who is best suited to the role today, in 2011. We don't need the man who was best suited back in 2007.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

While we are talking about changes post Ashes, all the selectors, bar Greg Chappell (he hasn't been in the role long enough to wear too much of the blame), should be given the arse and replaced witha fully professional selection panel whose only role is bas an Australian cricket selector.

Dickheads who are simply willing to do whatever the captain tells them instead of growing some balls and doing their job can f*** off.....bye bye Mr Hilditch

Dickheads who do not take the role seriously as evidenced by the fact they have clear conflicts of interests in such that they have positions with state based cricket associations can also f*** off......bye bye Messers Cox and Boon.

Dickheads who have repeatedly indicated that they are incompetent at theirb jobs can f*** off....bye bye Messers Hilditch, Boon and Cox.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

In regards Watson, the guy cant run between the wickets. He has run out his partner twice and he fast becoming the Graeme Wood of this millennium. I dont think he is really an opener.

I agree with the idea of actually having a spinner that can spin the ball. Krejza has been in the team before and although went for a lot of run there were extenuating circumstances. I.e. playing against India in India whose players are great exponents at playing spin. My memory of him was that his did spin the ball and is an attacking spinners. He's also pretty handy with the bat.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

MH_Bomber wrote:In regards Watson, the guy cant run between the wickets. He has run out his partner twice and he fast becoming the Graeme Wood of this millennium.
Kinda surprising that he and Katich ever amounted to anything more than 0 run out.
MH_Bomber wrote:I agree with the idea of actually having a spinner that can spin the ball. Krejza has been in the team before and although went for a lot of run there were extenuating circumstances. I.e. playing against India in India whose players are great exponents at playing spin. My memory of him was that his did spin the ball and is an attacking spinners.
Indeed. To take twelve wickets in a match as a spinner in India is pretty impressive; Warnie sucked there. And then he sucked in Perth. Surprise. 1. it's Perth, not great for spin; 2. B Lee was bowling from the other end FFS.
We need a spinner who can take wickets.

If they're worried about runs, f****** pick McDonald who played in 3 wins in 4 tests and could barely be hit for any runs. And he took a few wickets.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Also, I don't buy into the "Hughes (and/or Marsh) has no technique so he can't be an opener" theory.

Sehwag has no technique and is overly attacking and is f****** brilliant. It's not Hughes' fault that the middle order can't make runs when he fails. Give the kid a chance to build up some form and confidence.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

One final thought.

Clarke is f*****: the front story on The Age sport section this morning (here) was about how the players love Clarke, but the public do not and no one can really figure out why. Anyway, the reason Clarke is f***** is that the person who had the longest positive quotes about him was Max f****** Marxson. Brilliant, 'cause he always represents the most respected and talented people in our community. :roll:
2QIK4U
On the Rookie List

Post by 2QIK4U »

Can someone please explain why Troy Cooley has not gotten any flak in the media for the at times shit bowling (Johnson I am looking at you)?

Saker has been widely created with improving the English bowlers and getting heaps of media air play (in Melb anyway).

I am taking bets for how long it will take for CA to get Saker back to OZ as the national bowling coach? Another clear case of acting after the horse has bolted.

And while I am on CA - anyone could have seen this happening. Australia has had a sustained run as the dominant team for near 20 years (albeit in slow decline for the last couple). CA should have made the tough decisions earlier on players instead of constantly playing it safe - hoping to achieve what exactly?

My hope is that we don't become like the Windies and just go nowhere for 15 years........
"..computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. "

Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

Jesus I hate the way the NSW commentators like Taylor and Slater wank off over the SCG at the start of every Test there.
MCG all the way boys...
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Sigh, f*** OFF CLARKE.
Out soon after the return from a rain delay for 4. :roll:

Aus 3/120 (S. Watson 45, U. Khawaja 33* P. Hughes 31, T. Bresnan 2/42)

Hughes was looking quite good until he was out in the last over before lunch.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

BTW, even if Khawaja goes out now and makes a duck in the second innings, he will average more in the series than Ponting.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Khawaja looks great, leaving the right balls and defending the right balls and attacking the loose ones, hope he goes on to make a good debut score!

p.s f*** off clarke..... he's in terrible form and needs to go back and make a few decent scores in domestic games but i guess he'll get that chance anyway given there isn't another test for a while
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

I hadn't seen Khawaja before but he seems to have an amazing technique. Stoopid shot to go out on but that is what experience is for. Will easily be able to slot into other positions in the order (if necessary).
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

i just hope the selectors don't forget about him for our next test series.... i think he should be an automatic selection surely!

can you imagine if everyone in the team hits form together?? haha unstoppable
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals