Official Ashes Series Thread

Talk about cricket, soccer, tennis, rugby, whatever you like. Talk about it here!

temporary stevo
On the Rookie List

Post by temporary stevo »

Ealesy, he's 30.
Gatsid
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gatsid »

ealesy wrote:The problem with that Gatsid, is the bloke's 27-28 and has been in and around the Australian side pretty much since the turn of the century.

He's had access to the best coaches, and former champion bowlers at least in this country if not the world. Surely, they've told him time and time again, what his weaknesses are and where he needs to improve, and HOW to do that. Obviously he is either not listening to them, or simply can't put what they are telling him into practise in a match because he get's too fired up and basically just wants to knock the batsmen head off with a thunderbolt!!

Potential is one thing he may have, but with the resources he's had at his disposal, if he hasn't been able to realise it after 5-6 years in the system, then he never will!!!
I see and agree with most things said here, but its him or tait/johnson/bracken, out of those three Bracken is the only one I would see replace him.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Gatsid wrote:
ealesy wrote:The problem with that Gatsid, is the bloke's 27-28 and has been in and around the Australian side pretty much since the turn of the century.

He's had access to the best coaches, and former champion bowlers at least in this country if not the world. Surely, they've told him time and time again, what his weaknesses are and where he needs to improve, and HOW to do that. Obviously he is either not listening to them, or simply can't put what they are telling him into practise in a match because he get's too fired up and basically just wants to knock the batsmen head off with a thunderbolt!!

Potential is one thing he may have, but with the resources he's had at his disposal, if he hasn't been able to realise it after 5-6 years in the system, then he never will!!!
I see and agree with most things said here, but its him or tait/johnson/bracken, out of those three Bracken is the only one I would see replace him.
Don't forget we have Stuart Clark in the picture, and if there is a case for a guy NOT to be dropped then it's him. He has come into the team and has done everything asked of him. He bowls a terrific line and length, and he moves the ball off the deck. And what's more, he gets wickets!! If MacGill has to come into the team (and he will for Sydney at least) which bowler gets the chop?
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

With all the doubt surrounding McGrath's fitness, there is no way that Lee will be dropped.

Even if McGrath is fully fit, Lee will not be dropped as he has Pontings full support.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

I'd almost rest McGrath for this test anyway, bring in a Mitch Johnson and just give Glenn the chance to rest up and make sure everythings right for the last 3.
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

More than anything else in this Ashes series, I want a contest. I want the Poms to win the toss tomorrow & bat first. I want them to play 2 spinners versus our one. I want no excuses.

Because the only way we will get a contest in this Adelaide test is if this happens. If they bat first & if they play 2 spinners on the usual road of a pitch you get in Adelaide, then there will be no excuses for them if they lose.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

rama_fan wrote:I'd almost rest McGrath for this test anyway, bring in a Mitch Johnson and just give Glenn the chance to rest up and make sure everythings right for the last 3.
Agree. Though I reckon the aussies are playing some games here. They were training right where the poms were and Pigeon was moving slowly. When they f***** off, he started bowling alot harder and quicker too.

I would like to see them play the 5 bowlers, with Lee at 7.
Throw in Johnson, rattle them up a bit.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

CameronClayton wrote:More than anything else in this Ashes series, I want a contest. I want the Poms to win the toss tomorrow & bat first. I want them to play 2 spinners versus our one. I want no excuses.

Because the only way we will get a contest in this Adelaide test is if this happens. If they bat first & if they play 2 spinners on the usual road of a pitch you get in Adelaide, then there will be no excuses for them if they lose.
Im sure Duncan Fletcher will find an excuse.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Ricky Ponting won't catch Mohammad Yousuf. He has just smashed Viv Richard's record to pieces. He made 124 in the sencond innings after making 102 in the first. This is incredible......

11 matches, 19 innings, 1 not out, 1788 runs, average 99.33, 9 centuries & 2 fifties!

Viv Richards;
11 matches, 19 innings, 0 not outs, 1710 runs, average 90.00, 7 centuries
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

Poor Viv, some fairly handy numbers there though.
Gatsid
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gatsid »

BenDoolan wrote:Ricky Ponting won't catch Mohammad Yousuf. He has just smashed Viv Richard's record to pieces. He made 124 in the sencond innings after making 102 in the first. This is incredible......

11 matches, 19 innings, 1 not out, 1788 runs, average 99.33, 9 centuries & 2 fifties!

Viv Richards;
For all the fantasy cricket players who have heard me talk about how the sim likes some names more than others, here is a perfect example ever since he changed his name from Yousuf Youhana to Mohammad Yousuf he's become a much better player :lol: :P , see even real cricket is really run by a random number generator :P:D
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Gatsid wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:Ricky Ponting won't catch Mohammad Yousuf. He has just smashed Viv Richard's record to pieces. He made 124 in the sencond innings after making 102 in the first. This is incredible......

Viv Richards;
For all the fantasy cricket players who have heard me talk about how the sim likes some names more than others, here is a perfect example ever since he changed his name from Yousuf Youhana to Mohammad Yousuf he's become a much better player :lol: :P , see even real cricket is really run by a random number generator :P:D
Actually, that would be a rather interesting statistic....Yousuf Youhana stats v Mohammad Yousuf stats.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Who has he played against in those 11 matches?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

robrulz5 wrote:Who has he played against in those 11 matches?
3 Tests v India, 1 Test v Sri Lanka, 4 Tests v England and 3 Tests v West Indies.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

That's a fair effort then. I know they played against the West Indies at home and England away which obviously isn't easy.

Not sure about the other ones. There is no way it could be a fluke with so many centuries. It's good for Pakastani cricket seeing they have had a controversial year.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

England win the toss in Adelaide and elect to bat.

Australia names an unchanged lineup. Pigeon got through his fitness test this morning.

Stunningly, England also names an unchanged line up - again leaving Panesar out. Unbelievable decision.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Staggy wrote:Stunningly, England also names an unchanged line up - again leaving Panesar out. Unbelievable decision.
If Australia bat their way to victory in the 4th innings chasing down a decent total, or Geraint Jones drops a catch that costs the Poms substantial runs, Fletcher will be under some serious pressure. He's acting against the wishes of the other Pom selectors back in England and he'll get massive heat if his selection choices backfire again.
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

The Poms can't take a trick & it's their own fault. They finally win a toss & don't play what looks like a fairly handy spinner in Monty. The only 2 tests you mark down in Australia for 2 spinners is Adelaide & Sydney (I reckon Warne will be bloody tired after this game, Aussies should have played a 2nd spinner - Cullen maybe?) . But Fletcher being the blouse that he is, won't go out on a limb & just does a copy cat version of Australia by playing 3 quicks & 1 spinner.

Anderson is a pie chucker in Australian conditions. You can almost bet your house on this test now being a draw.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

I just caught a few overs on the telly, and this pitch is an absolute road. Not a millimetre of movement in any direction, even bounce and moderate pace - perhaps even slightly better than the Gabba pitch was in the 1st innings last week.

Poms should be able to bat Australia out of the game with a 500+ total in the 1st innings, if they're any good.

McGrath also looks underdone, as he's bowling a few kph's slower than normal and not fully following through. Playing him might turn out to be a bad decision if we're forced to bowl 150+ overs in the 1st innings, which seems a distinct possibility.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

How's this for timing...

Just finished my final exam for the week... drive home (nearly get ploughed into by some idiot who decides to back out of a parking spot without looking to see what's coming down the road in the middle of the city) ... get home, put the TV on and see Stuart Clark bowl a ball on Strauss's pads... only for Strauss to spoon it to Martn at mid-on. YAY!!!
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant