Marto Quits

Talk about cricket, soccer, tennis, rugby, whatever you like. Talk about it here!

BERT
Champion of Essendon

Marto Quits

Post by BERT »

Retired from all forms of Cricket today. A big suprise.

Wonder who will be his replacement in the next test.
ace076
Regular Senior Player

Post by ace076 »

they will bring in Katich. Poor Hodgey is injured too! Even though they will never pick him unfortunately.
GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED

Founding Captain of the Bombertalk Blacks.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Whack!!!??? Just like that? Any ideas why?

Ce la vie i say, we've got plenty of guys who can replace him, although it does concern me that he pulled the pin so suddenly; sounds like something's gone wrong. Hopefully nothing on a personal level.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

........And as replacement, i'm rooting for Jaques or Hodge.
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

Gutsy move, good luck to him. Hodge or Watson couldn't have picked a worst time to get injured.

Need to find another Mike Hussey - is his brother David any good?
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Replacement would have to be Jaques.

Ease him into the team at No. 5 or 6. Mr. Cricket to move up to No. 4.
Last edited by Madden on Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Jacques? Even though he is an opener?

Will they go with Katich or try someone new?

Or maybe Symonds as the all-rounder? Just throwing up ideas here.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

They have been itching to get Jaques into the side. I don't think they would have a problem with playing him down the order.

When you think about it, its a perfect scenario, they play him for a year or so down the order to get settled at the top level while waiting for Langer or Redneck to retire, and then they push him up the order.

Would have thought that picking Katich would be a step backwards.

Im a Symonds supporter, but they havent been keen to pick him in the past have they?

Id say the only three candidates are Jacques, Symonds or MacGill if they want to play five bowlers.
Last edited by Madden on Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Staggy wrote:Mr. Cricket to move up to No. 4.
I wonder if we could have him at 5 6 and 7 as well.

At the risk at hijacking this thread, I will go on and say that we will not lose a series with Hussey in the team.

I keep saying you know you have reached greatness when you are given the "we are not worthy" salute everywhere in Australia, not just your home state. I think its nearly time Huss and Punter got those awards.

Our middle order is fragile, lets not kid ourselves. But with Hussey there, it makes the straw house the three little pigs built look as strong as the great wall of China.
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

:shock:

Maybe he's jumped before being pushed? Seems very odd. In fact, I thought his 2nd innings effort was a rather "I couldn't give a shit anymore" sort of innings. Hmm, I think there's something going on in his upstairs. Wasn't that long ago that he has a verbal crack at Dennis Lillee for suggesting the selectors are making a mistake for selecting "old" players.

As for an immediate replacement, it should either be Hodge or Cosgrove. Jaques is a pure opener. They should never go back to Katich. Other possibilities are Marcus North and Cameron White.
temporary stevo
On the Rookie List

Post by temporary stevo »

not sure it matters too much who they pick, because whoever it is will probably be dropped for Boxing Day when Watson is brought in. I think that's what counts against Jaques being selected. the selectors will just wait until Langer or Hayden leave, which probably won't be too much longer.

i think Martyn may have realised that he should have retired after he was dropped the previous time. so when the pressure was put back on him, he decided he'd had enough. best of luck to him.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

temporary stevo wrote:not sure it matters too much who they pick, because whoever it is will probably be dropped for Boxing Day when Watson is brought in. I think that's what counts against Jaques being selected. the selectors will just wait until Langer or Hayden leave, which probably won't be too much longer.
Fair point.

Can someone explain what their reasoning is in always wanting to pick Watson? I don't think he has ever shown much. If they want someone to bowl pies then they already have Clarke...
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Staggy wrote:
temporary stevo wrote:not sure it matters too much who they pick, because whoever it is will probably be dropped for Boxing Day when Watson is brought in. I think that's what counts against Jaques being selected. the selectors will just wait until Langer or Hayden leave, which probably won't be too much longer.
Fair point.

Can someone explain what their reasoning is in always wanting to pick Watson? I don't think he has ever shown much. If they want someone to bowl pies then they already have Clarke...
I agree, and for some reason the selectors are fixated on him. I don't him as a bat, but his bowling was totally pedestrian at best. One wonders if he has actually got some ability to move the ball in t he air or off the deck.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Because he can bat and bowl, even though he doesnt do either of them all that well.

He is a better batsman than bowler, but I think there intention is for him to bowl just to rest up the quicks and maybe tie down an end.

For him to be effectively, he has to learn how to swing the ball both way, with an old and new ball. Otherwise, he is just going to be a stock bowler just bowling a line and length but not troubling the batsman.
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Rossoneri wrote:Because he can bat and bowl, even though he doesnt do either of them all that well.

He is a better batsman than bowler, but I think there intention is for him to bowl just to rest up the quicks and maybe tie down an end.

For him to be effectively, he has to learn how to swing the ball both way, with an old and new ball. Otherwise, he is just going to be a stock bowler just bowling a line and length but not troubling the batsman.
Id play Symonds over Martyn any day. Although I think at his best (maybe in a year or so), Cameron White would be the ideal choice.

But yeah, this fixation on getting an all rounder is really quite baffling. There are not very many all rounders in the world who can really impose themselves on a match. The only two I can really think of are Flintoff and Kallis.

Great all rounders are good to have, but there aren't very many of them around, and I'd rather just play a batsman than an ordinary all-rounder like Watson any day.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

Great all rounders would play in the side if there batting was going through a slump they would still get a game on there bowling and vice versa.

Watson doesn't fit into that class. He is a long way off that class. He bowls at 140km/h but the ball doesn't move at all.

You could nearly play White as a batsman only. He will play Test Cricket as a batsman who can bowl a bit. A bit like Collingwood from England.

To who gets the call up, I'm not sure. Would love to see Hodge play but he is hurt. Jaques could come into the side but my smokey is North from WA. Wouldn't suprise me if he got picked.
lozza89
Regular Senior Player

Post by lozza89 »

Bummer, i loved Martyn as a player. Very very unexpected.
Of course Hodge would be injured when they are looking for a replacement. I beleive that Symonds should get another go at test level. He played one or two series and thats it. He is someone you can throw the ball to when you need overs bowled, and he generally does take wickets with the ball. And we all know what a powerful hitter he is. He can bury the Poms even further into the ground when he is on song.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

****** hell!

Give Hodgey a run! :D
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Dizzy_69
Regular Senior Player

Post by Dizzy_69 »

Ossie wrote:****** hell!

What a shame Hodge is injured
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Dizzy_69 wrote:
Ossie wrote:****** hell!

What a shame Hodge is injured
Is he? I didn't know that. :oops:
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.