Official Ashes Series Thread

Talk about cricket, soccer, tennis, rugby, whatever you like. Talk about it here!

Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Would have been better if they had sent Tony greig down there. He would have been crying his eyes out.

Fancy losing the ashes to "dads army"
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

CameronClayton wrote:There goes any interest left in this series. All the other games are now dead rubbers & I couldn't really give a stuff if we win in a white wash or not.

The Poms have been found wanting & have shot themselves in the foot with bad selections, bad tactics & ordinary batting. Now they will play their best keeper in Chris Read for the last 2 tests, & as everyone said after Monty played in this game, people will be saying 'why hasn't this bloke played all along?'

Hopefully we get a much more competitive Ashes series in 2009, which the Poms should win provided they have learnt some lessons from this tour.
Their selections have been ordinary, but they were missing 4 players (and Flintoff shoudln't have played) from their best team against a very close to full strength Australian team.

It is a shame Jones didn't get up, he tore us apart over there given very limited overs.
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

temporary stevo wrote:and Ch9 are as reliable as ever with their nauseating naval gazing. did we really need Mark Taylor getting all chummy with the players and asking them inane questions?
No, but Eddie has to try and justify the enourmous wages they are paying him somehow.
temporary stevo
On the Rookie List

Post by temporary stevo »

Sismis wrote:Their selections have been ordinary, but they were missing 4 players (and Flintoff shoudln't have played) from their best team against a very close to full strength Australian team.

It is a shame Jones didn't get up, he tore us apart over there given very limited overs.
Vaughan, Trescothick, Jones... who is the fourth? i don't think they would have made too much difference. England's problem hasn't been lack of runs, it's been lack of wickets. you're right that Jones was very successful in 2005, and England has missed someone who can take 18 wickets for the series. but I don't think Jones would have been that bowler in this series, not with the Kookaburra and in much drier conditions.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Sorry meant 3 and Fintof shoudln't have played.

Those guys mayhave made enough difference that it may have been 2-0 instead of three and the series would be still alive.
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

Just as an add on to the 2009 Ashes tour, the best thing that could help prepare us for that, would be for McGrath, Langer & Hayden to retire from international cricket after this Ashes tour or the 2007 World Cup.

This will give the new blokes a chance to settle in, & if they don't work out, enough time for adequate replacements to be found. We don't have any more test cricket until next summer (only India & SL, I think?) after this current Ashes tour.

I'd be telling Gilly to give away the ODI's (he's not going to be around for the 2011 WC is he?) after the next WC, so that his body can hold up to the rigours of the 5 day game - same as what Warne is now doing.

Keep playing Warne (& Gilly) until he decides he's had enough.

Who replaces these blokes has already been discussed, but the Sheffield Shield comp is the strongest in the world, & we have plenty of depth (blokes like Hussey & Stuart Clarke have proven that - stepped straight into the team & played well from day one).

So going into the unknown should be welcomed not feared (bit like if Sheeds ever gets replaced).
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Well the 4th test is upon us. What a game it will be, but the weather is starting to get nasty. We havent had rain since the turn of the century but now we are getting some. I reckon it could disrupt the cricket which would be a f****** spew.

Apparently its a bit green so if Lee cant take wickets here, then he should not be picked again.
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Rossoneri wrote:Apparently its a bit green so if Lee cant take wickets here, then he should not be picked again.
How dare you put a qualification on Lee not getting selected. He shouldn't have been selected in any Test for the past 3 years :wink: :lol:.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Nah come on, he has had some good spells, you know. Especially against poor opposition. If he cant take wickets on this pitch, then he should be gone and bring in someone who is at least dangerous. Lee talking about having no luck? He has had heaps of luck, and still only taken 8 wickets.

Dropped catches? By who?

Clarke has beaten the bat so many times this year but cant get the nick. He is the one bowling without luck and has still taken more wickets than Lee.
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

And of course, its raining. Hasnt rained here for 6 years, and now we get rain on 4 consecutive days. Play will start around 11 am and the day will go to 6:00pm instead of 5:30.

Read in for Jones. No real difference as Joes has been keeping well this summer, and his batting is just as bad as reads.

Bit of a green top so should see some movement off the pitch for once.
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
Brumaz
High Draft Pick

Post by Brumaz »

Have a look at Cooks dismissal replays. I swear he is wearing eye makeup!
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

And we've got another rain delay in the 2nd session.

I'm a little surprised that Flintoff chose to bat first - it's an absolute greeny with plenty of seam that looks like it'll be best to bat on either late day 2 or even into day 3, so i think the Poms have shot themselves in the foot already.

Once again, Clark comes on as the first change bowler and looks like getting a wicket every 2nd or 3rd delivery. Absolutely plumb LBW to get rid of Bell, and probably should have had Collingwood for a duck with an LBW as well, but i think Rudi took some pity on Collingwood for whatever reason, perhaps to make up for the crap decisions he's given against Strauss throughout the series.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

WARNE GETS 700!!!!!

STRAUSS THROUGH THE GATE!!!

After a reprieve when Haydos dropped what he would consider a sitter at Gully off Clark, Warne rips an absolute BEAUTY through Strauss.

GOT HIM! GONE! YOU LITTLE BEAUTY!

ENG 4/101
Pietersen 0*

Strauss b Warne 50

Pietersen has just arrived at the crease. Lee just got Collingwood 2 balls earlier.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

DAY 1 - TEA

ENG 4/117
Pietersen 3*
Flintoff 13*

Lee 13ov 2/36
Warne 6ov 1/21
Clark 12ov 1/17

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Poms all out for 159, Warnie takes 5 wickets.

Australia 2/44 at stumps. Langer went out just before stumps, Lee the nightwatchman goes next ball.
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

So, going on today's play, Australia should be able to bat England out of the game by the close of play tomorrow if they can bat that long. The pitch looked to be really flattening out towards the end of the day, and the outfield will presumably quicken up the longer the rain stays away.

In hindsight, England stuffed up by electing to bat first on a slowish, green pitch that gave plenty of help to the seamers. Fair enough that no one likes to be batting in the 4th innings when Warne is in the opposing bowling attack, but to bat first on this pitch was a mistake. The conditions would've suited Hoggard and Flintoff very well i think, and Warne will always turn the ball whether he's bowling first or second, so i think it was just another decision by Flintoff that lacked conviction.

On another note, Rudi Koertzen continues his pathetic umpiring form. He turned down an LBW shout on Collingwood when he was on 0 that would perhaps be given 70% of the time. He then turned down two shouts against Hayden for LBW off Hoggard that were absolutely plumb. He has been the consistently poor umpire throughout the series and how he is part of the ICC elite umpiring panel is beyond me.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Yet the commentators continue to sing his praises, jimmyc1985.

DAY 1 - STUMPS

AUS 2/48
Hayden 17*
Ponting 0*

Langer 27
Lee 0 (1)

Flintoff 5ov 2/20 (Was on a hat trick in the last over of the day)

ENG 159
Hoggard 9*

Strauss 50
Collingwood 28

Warne 17.2ov 5/39

Didn't get to see much of the final session today, but Warne and Clark were bowling like stars. Gilchrist missed a couple of sitters that he ordinarily would have stitched up in his sleep. Hayden dropped an absolute dolly by his standards at gully. Not a lot went AUS' way luck wise but they still made enough chances that they rolled ENG for a dismal 159. Strauss should have been gone very early, then again not much later... until finally Warne stepped up and bowled a ripper that bamboozled him and knocked back his middle stump.

Even Lee seemed to bowl much better today. Not so much short stuff or very full half volley stuff today. If he intends to stay in the side after this series is finished, he needs to find a good length stock ball. His stock ball at the moment is the one that is short and wide, rather than the short ball being a surprise ball (and well directed).

Ponting is going to have to pull something special out on the big stage for us. He let himself down in the last Test match. The form he's in, that was a dismal failure (of course, one which he is allowed from time to time). Looking forward to seeing him bat tomorrow, providing he gets through the initial danger period. As silly as it sounds, Harmison is probably the danger man for him tomorrow. Hoggard and Flintoff are bowling much better than he is of late, but Harmison and his height seem to give him a little bit over Ponting early on. If Ponting gets on top early, it should be entertaining viewing.

Was great to see Warne do the damage today. He's a master of his craft, and it's always a pleasure to see a master at work, especially on his home pitch. #700 was an absolute corker. Tipping (and hoping for) 10fa in this match. Hopefully he can follow up with more of the same in Sydney. Nice way to go out.... and get a few more on Murali (who is only 30 wickets behind).

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

That's got to be the softest set of dismissals Warne has ever had.

The Poms have come out and said they're going to spoil his party and then they hand 5 soft, easy dismissals. Only real the Strauss one was a better than average ball, and even then it was just a dismal shot.

I went today and was just glad I got to see Warne bowl one last time and of course take his 700th, but f*** me the poms are just absolutely pathetic. Only Clark and Lee got wickets with good balls, the other 8 dismissals were balls that didnt need to be played at or were just piss poor technique.

It was a stark contrast to what a lot of people would have been expecting and hoping for when I lined up for tickets back in June.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

jimmyc1985 wrote:

I'm a little surprised that Flintoff chose to bat first - it's an absolute greeny with plenty of seam that looks like it'll be best to bat on either late day 2 or even into day 3, so i think the Poms have shot themselves in the foot already.
To be fair though jimmy, Ponting said he would have batted first also. So did Tubby Taylor and to some degree, Slater. It's easy for them to say because they know that whatever Australia do first, it will be better than what the Poms can do anyway. So I guess with England's overall inferior batting and bowling line ups, it would have made more sense to bowl first and try and get as much advantage out of the pitch as possible.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

rama_fan wrote:That's got to be the softest set of dismissals Warne has ever had.

The Poms have come out and said they're going to spoil his party and then they hand 5 soft, easy dismissals. Only real the Strauss one was a better than average ball, and even then it was just a dismal shot.

I went today and was just glad I got to see Warne bowl one last time and of course take his 700th, but f*** me the poms are just absolutely pathetic. Only Clark and Lee got wickets with good balls, the other 8 dismissals were balls that didnt need to be played at or were just piss poor technique.

It was a stark contrast to what a lot of people would have been expecting and hoping for when I lined up for tickets back in June.
Yeah but he did beat Pietersen with a ripper and should have had him stumped cold. England's tailenders aren't reknowned for their class or style, and all you need to do is dangle the right bait and you've got them. Warne delivered the right bait. As for Pietersen, I agree with the commentators that he should be batting at No.4. He has been stranded on far too many occasion this series, and has thrown his wicket away in the end. The brains trust in their camp obviously have no brains.