Warne Quits

Talk about cricket, soccer, tennis, rugby, whatever you like. Talk about it here!

rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

This is a black day in cricket. We have just seen the greatest cricketer in history for the past 15 years. This man has done the lot and a bit more. The greatest to live and with him goin, cricket will never be the same. There will be a lot more draws in the game without the great man.

...AND HE'S A VICTORIAN
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

Rossoneri wrote: We have just seen the greatest cricketer in history for the past 15 years.

...AND HE'S A VICTORIAN
Err, Rosso, I think Don Bradman might have something to say about this line.

I'm thinking how delightful to see someone go out on his own terms & not being pushed & also going out while he's still at the peak of his game. Can't help thinking Hirdy should have done the same thing this year, as it could get ugly next year if some young bucks start giving him the run around.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

Just a great man. I will miss him. I loved watching him bowl. He controlled games. He brought back a lost art. In 1991 there was no body who thought that a leg spinner could play one day cricket. Warne could and opened so many door for other spinners around the world.

He is one of a kind.
temporary stevo
On the Rookie List

Post by temporary stevo »

swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Dizzy_69 wrote:
DYSON#2 wrote:if true, its been an honour watching Warne & McGrath
Your not wrong

Langer Haydan could also join the retirement group
Langer has already said that he won't be retiring any time soon so unless he get's dropped, he will still be around for a while yet.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

BenDoolan wrote::shock:

OK, I saw the McGrath one coming, but not Warney. Well I guess MacGill will be getting a good couple of years on the international stage then.

If true, then to the 2nd greatest Australian Test cricketer EVER, I salute you......

There has been quite a bit of speculation lately that MacGill was going to pull the pin after this season...maybe now he'll stay on for a bit longer.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
lozza89
Regular Senior Player

Post by lozza89 »

Well we have one year to find someone to take his place, and the next test series after these ashes for the Aussies will be our next summer.
I really think MacGill is too old, and they should opt for someone more along the lines of Dan Cullen or even Cammy White. Both of these players are young and have a good 10-12 years of cricket left in them, even more.
If Cammy White can work on his bowling a bit more, he would have a good chance at the Test team due to his powerful hitting as well.

Do you think there could be room for 2 all-rounders in the side? A Shane Watson and a Cameron White??
temporary stevo
On the Rookie List

i've heard this phrase "McGrath is expected to announce his retirement" but is there anything to suggest that this is more than media speculation?
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

temporary stevo wrote:i've heard this phrase "McGrath is expected to announce his retirement" but is there anything to suggest that this is more than media speculation?
No. It was said in The Age that the murmur has come from a 'reliable source', whatever that means.

However, the fact he hasn't put out a media statement to the contrary suggests to me that the rumour has some credence. If he didn't have retirement plans, i'd imagine his manager would put out a media statement to that effect to kill off the rumours pretty quickly.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Just heard that on top of this travesty... Gilly might be pulling the pin. Just another rumour to add to the mill but :shock:
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
lozza89
Regular Senior Player

Post by lozza89 »

Gilly won't retire, simply for the fact that Warne and most likely McGrath has/will retire, and he won't leave the Australian team without their best two bowlers and a wicketkeeper at the same time.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Funny how one retires and some people assume a few others will as well.
Pazza
Essendon Legend

Post by Pazza »

Going out his way. The best way.

Warnie deserves nothing less than that.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Rossoneri wrote:
...AND HE'S A VICTORIAN
Yeah, and guess what? There will no longer be a Victorian representative in the Test team. Hodge is finished, thanks to ignorant selectors, and Cam White may eventually get a go, but not for a while. No Vic in the Test team :x
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Rossoneri wrote:We have just seen the greatest cricketer in history for the past 15 years.
I know what you meant, but have to say that this is worded a bit wrong and I couldn't help but laugh...15 years is a bit of a narrow history isn't it? lol
temporary stevo
On the Rookie List

jimmyc1985 wrote:If he didn't have retirement plans, i'd imagine his manager would put out a media statement to that effect to kill off the rumours pretty quickly.
if only you'd waited another day, Jimmy. :wink:

nevertheless, with almost a year between Tests, it wouldn't surprise if the Sydney Test was McGrath's last.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

BERT wrote:Just a great man. I will miss him. I loved watching him bowl. He controlled games. He brought back a lost art. In 1991 there was no body who thought that a leg spinner could play one day cricket. Warne could and opened so many door for other spinners around the world.

He is one of a kind.
Great man? Bollocks. Utter twat. If he couldn't bowl he'd've been a piss head down at Moorabin. Kinder scribes have attributed his behaviours as "part of the total package".

However, he can bowl and is a great cricketer. He may be amongst the absolute best, but that is moot. He is certainly one of two of the best leggies ever. Those that saw Tiger O'Reilly rate him up there also.

He will be missed from this team, as he just might be impossible to replace. Time will tell.

I'm guessing Cam White will be bowling more in the nets now, and maybe in a few games. He'll need to improve his bowling a fair bit I'd say. There are sure to be others before him in line.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Crazyman wrote:
Rossoneri wrote:We have just seen the greatest cricketer in history for the past 15 years.
I know what you meant, but have to say that this is worded a bit wrong and I couldn't help but laugh...15 years is a bit of a narrow history isn't it? lol
I meant to say that he is the greatest in histroy that I have seen. I sad 15 years because he has been playing that long, but it was f****** confusing reading it again.

I never saw Sir don play so I cant comment, but Warnie is the greatest I have seen. Changed the way cricket has been played and the tactics as well when bowling on a 5th day. You basically knew that if Australia were bowling on day 5, they were going to win a lot more times than they would lose.

And BD, I know what your saying about White and that he needs to bowl more. But the fact that Watson is a shit bowler and he gets picked and same for Lee, I assume you dont need to be able to bowl that well, just be able to hold a bat.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
temporary stevo
On the Rookie List

F111 wrote:However, he can bowl and is a great cricketer. He may be amongst the absolute best, but that is moot. He is certainly one of two of the best leggies ever. Those that saw Tiger O'Reilly rate him up there also.
Bradman rated O'Reilly as the best bowler he'd seen, but i'm not sure if he revised that opinion after seeing Warne.