BLACK CAVIAR

Talk about cricket, soccer, tennis, rugby, whatever you like. Talk about it here!

MH_Bomber
Club Captain

BLACK CAVIAR

Post by MH_Bomber »

The mighty mare has been retired.

Thank goodness I say. Every time she raced in the last year I have hoping they'd retire her so she could go out on top, intact and safe from any racing mishap. Its a great decision and one the connections will not regret. They should be jubilant that they are associated with a horse that has basically done it all.

What a stunning and brilliant career.

I reckon her best win was the race in 2011 against Hay List in Sydney. She was 3 or 4 lengths behind with about 300 to go and she just mows him down and wins by 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvYeDFR1SDg
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Re: BLACK CAVIAR

Post by Jazz_84 »

Yeah as much as I wanted her to race on 25 is a good number, and she did have to work just that little bit harder on Saturday to win, so that would suggest it's the beginning of her saying, it's enough. So good decision, first opportunity to retire her with a record that is enough to warrant her the accolades she deserves but also saving her from injury or mishap.

Great words Moody used to describe her "Permanently Perfect" and yes the owners will never regret the decision.

She was just going around in circles here in Aus, and another trip overseas is such a big task and given she is older now, was there really much point?

I could go on and on about her but ill just say 1 more thing, the way she is is simply sublime, her calmness at the races is astonishing and her playfulness from time to time, can't describe how perfect she is in every possible way

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

That form aint bad!
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Choppy
Top Up Player

Post by Choppy »

Meh, champion horse, done more for racing than any horse since Phar Lap...but, highly staged managed career.

1400 metre WFA race in Sydney this week...would have been perfect finale (beat the little brother, too). Instead they retire her. Says it all for me.

And this is not a knock on the horse, but on the connections and the decisions they have made to preserve the streak. Had she lost to Wanted at Flemington that day, it could have been the best thing to happen. We might have seen her take on some more ambitious races.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Choppy wrote:but, highly staged managed career.
to be fair any trainer that isn't putting their horses in the right races deserves every loss, you have to be smart with what race you put them in and Moody was very very smart. Every horse should have a Highly staged managed career.
Kakadu Kangaroos
Choppy
Top Up Player

Post by Choppy »

Indeed, it is the trainer's job to manage and palce horse astutely. However, she ain't just any horse.

I feel that some of the criticism levelled by the Sydneysiders was legitimate. In the last 12 months, bar Ascot, Lightning Stakes 2012 and the second TJ Smith, she has basically been sent around for a track gallop. Lots of soft, soft wins that were utter foregone conclusions.

Don't you think it's a little odd that she doesn't line up in the All Aged (1400 m, WFA, perfect!)? Or is there just the tiniest element of doubt there for the connections?

The great, great champions of the past (Phar Lap, Bernborough & Tulloch as the big 3) were often pushed beyond their comfort zone, into the realms of 'doubt'...and they didn't always win! Just get the feeling with BC that she was never really asked to do that...
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Druggy....on the gear.... tainted..... #-o
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Western Red wrote:Druggy....on the gear.... tainted..... #-o
I read it in the paper too, so must be 100% fact
Kakadu Kangaroos
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Western Red wrote:Druggy....on the gear.... tainted..... #-o
actually to be fair it's Legal in Australia, but not in the UK, which begs the question why has this issue never been raised before now? Aussie horses have been going over there since like umm forever
Kakadu Kangaroos