NBA Draft - Brad Newley

Talk about cricket, soccer, tennis, rugby, whatever you like. Talk about it here!

swoodley
Champion of Essendon

NBA Draft - Brad Newley

Post by swoodley »

Taken at number 54 by Houston.

Check out this scouting report"

Brad Newley| Guard Height:6-6 Weight:194
Hometown:Australia

2007 NBA Draft
Scouting Report

Thursday June 28, 2007
Player: Brad Newley
Team: Houston Rockets (from Cleveland through Orlando)

Round2 Overall54
NBA Draft Home | DraftTracker

Strengths: Newley has proved himself to be an outstanding scorer in Australia, playing in a league that plays very little defense. He has good athleticism for such a tall guard, and is an above average passer for shooting guard. Newley is a nice shooter who has displayed the ability to shoot the NBA 3-pointer while also hitting the midrange jumper off of the dribble. He is a hustler who attempts to use his effort on the defensive end to make up for his lack of lateral quickness.

Weaknesses: Newley struggles quite a bit on the defensive end. He doesn’t have the lateral quickness nor the experience guarding NBA caliber players to make an impact on that end of the court. He doesn’t have the best defensive instincts. Newley is awfully weak as well, and really struggles driving to his left on offense.

Outlook: The Australian scoring machine is automatically eligible for this year’s draft, and should see himself nabbed somewhere in the second round.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Good on him. Not guaranteed a contract though, having been selected in the second round.

A league that plays little defence!? Stupid Americans, had a look at their own league?
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Bomber Mad
Top Up Player

Post by Bomber Mad »

Great news!

J-Mac i have to admit mate, we dont play defence that well.

But aside from that, good on ya Brad Newley! All the best mate, hope he gets the contract.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Bomber Mad wrote:J-Mac i have to admit mate, we dont play defence that well.
Seen the NBA though? I can only watch the highlights, but so often the players are just standing around. Often the centre just watches as a guard or forward drives in and gets an easy dunk. They even have rules to discourage D!
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

What's the going rate for a second round pick without a contract?
AnarchicBomber
Regular Senior Player

Post by AnarchicBomber »

I would say the NBA is the more defensive league compared to the NBL but there's probably more body contact in the NBL. An important factor in this is the reluctance to bang bodies too much in a season that lasts 82 matches plus playoffs (not to mention there are plenty of prima donnas running around in the states)

I don't know the stats but I would hazard a guess that the average scores per game would be higher in the NBL. Perhaps significantly.

Newley deserves nothing but congratulations for being drafted into the best league in the world. Having said that, having watched him play on numerous occassions that scouting report is pretty much spot on. He's very gifted but has significant gaps in his defensive game and physical strength.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Wont see much game time with houston having Battier and T-mac. Also consider, they have Snyder and resigned Bonzi Wells.
He is going to have to realy perform well during the Summer Leagues to earn a spot.
Or he might be used as a filler when Houston decide to finally get another Power Forward.
Ramanama
Regular Senior Player

Post by Ramanama »

Essendon4eva wrote:Wont see much game time with houston having Battier and T-mac. Also consider, they have Snyder and resigned Bonzi Wells.
He is going to have to realy perform well during the Summer Leagues to earn a spot.
Or he might be used as a filler when Houston decide to finally get another Power Forward.
Was thinking the same thing, he is going too need to work his but off!
V-BOMBERS:
Premiers of the BTCL OD 0'7. V-Bombers!!!
BomberTalk POTY - Ramanama
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

AnarchicBomber wrote: I don't know the stats but I would hazard a guess that the average scores per game would be higher in the NBL. Perhaps significantly.
I don't think so. I haven't seen any proper averages, but I feel that the NBA games seem to be higher scoring games. More 100+ games.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

2 very different types of defence. NBL allows zone.

NBA requires more one on one defence which is what they are getting at.

NBA is more tuned towards scoring.