MYFOOTBALLCLUB

Talk about cricket, soccer, tennis, rugby, whatever you like. Talk about it here!

Paul18
Top Up Player

MYFOOTBALLCLUB

Post by Paul18 »

Have you heard about the myfootballclub website at http://www.myfootballclub.co.uk .

The story is that a few people thought that fans know more that experts, the fans should run the club, english soccer.
So they set up a website and trust/company were you can pay 35 Pounds to be a member, they buy a club, (not Man U) maybe division 2 side, and all the decisions about the club are made by voting on the web site. They are hoping for 50,000 members, so 1.75 million.

My question is can this really work?
Can a club be successful with fans voting on who plays, who is bought and who is sold? Do they play 442 or 4141?

I understand they have about 20,000 paid up members and will be buying a club in a few months.

Could this idea work?
Could it work with the AFL?
'I get why the demons all fall in line with you. You're like Tony Robbins. If he was a big scary, Frankenstein looking... You're exactly like Tony Robbins.'
Spike
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

gee it will be interesting to see how that pans out! might keep my eye on this. are you a share owner paul?
Paul18
Top Up Player

Post by Paul18 »

I'm currently convincing my wife to let me spend the money. Dam If only I didn't mention the foreign currency I would have been right. I think the High Aussie dollar with help. So My pretty into the idea. My friends find it interesting but are waiting too see who they buy.
If they get Leeds (who is leading in the voting but I think is financial unrealistic) or Milton Keynes or Torquay.
It may be someone in the second division or the conference, or lower.
They my have a legal problem, I understand that they must buy within 12 months of setup.
With what to buy, some want to get a big club fallen on hard times that has a big capacity ground, others want a new team in a growing area, to increase the fan base, and one guy wants to buy one near his mistress as a good excuse for his wife
They are selling Manager/owner T shirts.
'I get why the demons all fall in line with you. You're like Tony Robbins. If he was a big scary, Frankenstein looking... You're exactly like Tony Robbins.'
Spike
Stocksy
On the Rookie List

Post by Stocksy »

Fantastic

As if its not bad enough already being a Leeds supporter and the shit I cop from my mates now we face the prospect of becoming the peoples club...

I thought being docked 15 points at the start of this season was pain enough obviously not...
Here's to swimming with bow legged women...
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

so how often do you have to pay the 35pounds ($80-85aud) because there would be ongoing costs wouldnt there?
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

The idea sounds right to people who NEVER pay MEMBERSHIP or SHARES in a club.

NO WAY KNOWN would thse above folk stand for the COUCH POTATOES(In the main)DICTATE the running of their club,or over-ride their say in important matters.
Paul18
Top Up Player

Post by Paul18 »

You pay the "membership" once a year.
Fund for paying the bills and buying players.

With the Dogs and Roos having no money would it
work here?
Spike
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Paul18 wrote:You pay the "membership" once a year.
Fund for paying the bills and buying players.

With the Dogs and Roos having no money would it
work here?
Essentially it is already through the club membership system.

AFL Club members (at least for the eastern-seaboard clubs) have, in theory, total control over the operation of their club.
Paul18
Top Up Player

Post by Paul18 »

update.
Fans' community website MyFootballClub has agreed a deal to take over Blue Square Premier outfit Ebbsfleet United.
The 20,000 MyFootballClub members have each paid £35 to provide a £700,000 takeover pot and they will all own an equal share in the club.

In a landmark for English football, members will vote on player selection, transfers and all major decisions.

"We are united in believing this is a great opportunity," Ebbsfleet chairman Jason Botley told BBC Sport.

This extra finance and support will enable our club to progress."

The deal is expected to be completed in a few weeks after a due diligence process and the website will purchase a 51% controlling stake, while also having the option to buy the club outright in the future.

The takeover is unprecedented in English football, given the website's stated intention of involving the members so radically in the running of the club, particularly with team selection.

for more see.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 089473.stm
Spike