Weekend Hussler

Talk about cricket, soccer, tennis, rugby, whatever you like. Talk about it here!

jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Concur. Won it in about 4 strides just as it was entering the turn - phenomenal burst of speed.

Glad to see Miss Finland get knocked over at wfa again, especially after Hayes questioned Maldivian's wfa credentials. David Hayes is starting to sound like Eddie McGuire whenever he starts talking about her. He really should s.t.f.u. until the Cox Plate - if she wins, go nuts, but if not, Hayes needs to tone it down.
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

it was a phenomanal run.. i took pit lane on wednesday for value but was never confident because i thought hussler was a sure thing. but @ 1.75 it was too short for me..

divine madonna was a great win, for her to win at caulfield it dified its critics. just wait till flemington, she'll win it there over 1200.

Pinacles @ 10... thanks

Chinchilla rose... :(

got the tri in race 5 & 6 but who didnt?

got 3 legs of quaddie, and wasnt i fuming. i gave him 50 bucks and told him my tips and said put a quad on, we got the first 3 legs but had imagining straight out in last, he thought it was a sure thing... i almost thumped him and he wont get the duties again,

exuse the spelling, i been at the puib most of the day and pretty pissy.

my tip for the Caulfeild Cup : Anamato! u heard it here 1st
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

Won big on Storm Signal, was a ripper run.

Cant see Maldivian losing the Cox though...

Will still back Finland for the Melbourne Cup.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Gossy7 wrote:Won big on Storm Signal, was a ripper run.

Cant see Maldivian losing the Cox though...

Will still back Finland for the Melbourne Cup.
Maldivian may not even go in the Cox, considering he'll almost certainly be running in the Caulfield Cup. Three Group 1s in the space of 14 days would flatten a majority of horses, so i reckon Maldivian will run in one of the Caulfield or the Cox rather than both, and it's more likely to be the Caulfield Cup.

I reckon whether Miss Finland runs in the Cup is dependent on how she goes in the Plate. I think David Hayes is keen to emulate Makybe Diva's double in 2005 but it's an incredibly difficult task, and if she doesn't win or go close to winning the Plate, they won't bother with the Cup.
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

Hussler has been a bit to hyped up for my liking. Amazing win but in reality beat a very ordinary Guineas field and may or may not turn out to be something of a champion.

I reckon I'll reserve judgement until a few more races.

Gamble Me on Saturday - thanks a lot.

Storm Signal was a disappointment for me because I had the big "F" running in the last leg, so getting the 2nd favourite wasn't that exciting.

Great day there on Saturday, rather go to the Guineas then the Caulfield Cup when it costs $58 to get in!!

RE: Miss Finland I reckon she'll run both unless she horribly bombs out in the Plate I reckon she'll go on. She has run on well her last two starts she just seems to go missing around the turn which has cost her both races. The tempo of the plate might suit her better, but I still think if Williams keeps her more on the pace on Saturday she beats Maldivian, another 50 metres she had him covered. Let's not forget she still has beaten Marasco, Segundo and Haradasun this campaign.

All in all some good races coming up, despite the lack of NSW horses and internationals.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

rama_fan wrote:RE: Miss Finland I reckon she'll run both unless she horribly bombs out in the Plate I reckon she'll go on. She has run on well her last two starts she just seems to go missing around the turn which has cost her both races. The tempo of the plate might suit her better, but I still think if Williams keeps her more on the pace on Saturday she beats Maldivian, another 50 metres she had him covered. Let's not forget she still has beaten Marasco, Segundo and Haradasun this campaign.

All in all some good races coming up, despite the lack of NSW horses and internationals.
You're kidding Re Finland winning if the race was 50m longer, right? Maldivian was being eased up over the final 100m and wouldn't have lost even if the race was 2400m (i.m.o., of course).

I agree that Finland seems to be crabbing around turns a bit in this campaign, and that's exactly the sort of thing that needs to be corrected before the Cox Plate - pretty hard to do well at Moonee Valley if you can't turn properly and use the bank in the tight corners to your advantage. Let's just say i don't think Miss Finland is good value at $3.50 - she might still win, but i wouldn't be touching her with a ten foot pole at those odds.

H'sun has also fallen short of my expectations (and the general hype) much like Finland and is too short at $5.50, i think.
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
rama_fan wrote:RE: Miss Finland I reckon she'll run both unless she horribly bombs out in the Plate I reckon she'll go on. She has run on well her last two starts she just seems to go missing around the turn which has cost her both races. The tempo of the plate might suit her better, but I still think if Williams keeps her more on the pace on Saturday she beats Maldivian, another 50 metres she had him covered. Let's not forget she still has beaten Marasco, Segundo and Haradasun this campaign.

You're kidding Re Finland winning if the race was 50m longer, right? Maldivian was being eased up over the final 100m and wouldn't have lost even if the race was 2400m (i.m.o., of course).

I agree that Finland seems to be crabbing around turns a bit in this campaign, and that's exactly the sort of thing that needs to be corrected before the Cox Plate - pretty hard to do well at Moonee Valley if you can't turn properly and use the bank in the tight corners to your advantage. Let's just say i don't think Miss Finland is good value at $3.50 - she might still win, but i wouldn't be touching her with a ten foot pole at those odds.

H'sun has also fallen short of my expectations (and the general hype) much like Finland and is too short at $5.50, i think.
agreed Jimmy...... No way would Miss Finland have won in another 50 metres

IMO ....she's struggling a little with the less of a weight drop on the older rivals and NOT too many runs against her own age and sex.

Nothing against her as I reckon she's a great horse and has put a fair amount of spondulah in my back pocket....I was on her all the way in the slipper :lol: , but she's up against the BIG BOYS now and has come back to the field somewhat
Stocksy
On the Rookie List

Post by Stocksy »

Dont jump off her yet boys, the jock has to take his share of the blame for the last two runs as much as anything.

If they can keep her close 350 out in the cox nothing will come close and imo she is a fantastic chance for the cup.
Here's to swimming with bow legged women...
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

dodgey wrote:
jimmyc1985 wrote:

agreed Jimmy...... No way would Miss Finland have won in another 50 metres

IMO ....she's struggling a little with the less of a weight drop on the older rivals and NOT too many runs against her own age and sex.

Nothing against her as I reckon she's a great horse and has put a fair amount of spondulah in my back pocket....I was on her all the way in the slipper :lol: , but she's up against the BIG BOYS now and has come back to the field somewhat
Sorry gents only saw the race once live at the track and from where we were it looked like she was fast approaching Maldivian. Haven't seen a replay so my opinion is most likely wrong, it just looked like she got back to within a length of Maldivian near the line. But I was rather intoxicated at the time so my opinion doesn't stand for much.

My point still stands however that she has beaten all of her "superstar" peers in El Segundo, Haradasun and Marasco this campaign. The only two horses that have beaten her home are Maldivian who could very well take home some serious money this spring, and Rubiscent who's trainer was more shocked than anyone else by it's win.

I think while the $3.50 price for the Plate is too short given the evenness and so many chances in the race, I still reckon a quicker tempo will suit her, plus I reckon Hayes/Williams will be forced to adapt her racing style which may in fact bring in positive results.

Are you going to be running another BT Spring Carnival Book this year Dodge?
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

Mark Kavanaugh is on FIRE at the moment. i agree that maldivian had it over MF. Won by 1 3/4 lengths and rodd eased up early and cantered over the line. Maybe if MF made her run a touch earlier she might have been a different story. But in saying that the sectionals were still pretty similar in 200 bracket even when rodd eased
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

In the Naturalism Stakes Douro Valley beat Maldivian but i didnt see the race. Can anyone tell me how Douro Valley likes its run? from back middle or up front? Just thought maybe its worth a bit e/w at odds. depending on barrier of course.

The Acceptances for the big one on Saturday.
No. Horse Trainer Jockey Barr Wgt Pen RTG
1 TAWQEET (USA) David Hayes D Dunn 57 (118)
2 BLUE MONDAY (GB) David Hayes N Rawiller 56 (113)
3 BLUTIGEROO Colin Little D Oliver 55.5 (113)
4 RAILINGS Roger James G Childs 55.5 (111)
5 MAYBE BETTER Brian Mayfield-Smith C Brown 54 (112)
6 BLACK TOM David Hayes P A Hall 53.5 (107)
7 PURPLE MOON (IRE) Luca Cumani K McEvoy 53.5 (108)
8 MALDIVIAN (NZ) Mark Kavanagh M Rodd 53 (113)
9 CINQUE CENTO Peter G Moody S Seamer 52.5 (112)
10 MANDELA (NZ) Richard Yuill D Nikolic 52.5 (106)
11 SCENIC SHOT Daniel Morton S Katsidis 52.5 (108)
12 ANNENKOV (IRE) Peter G Moody L Nolen 52 0.5 (105)
13 ANAMATO David Hayes R S Dye 51.5 (110)
14 DOURO VALLEY Danny O'Brien J M Winks 51.5 0.5 (106)
15 SIRMIONE Bart Cummings 51.5 (101)
16 ESKIMO QUEEN (NZ) Michael Moroney C Newitt 51 (106)
17 PRINCESS COUP Mark Walker G Boss 51 (110)
18 MASTER O'REILLY (NZ) Danny O'Brien V Duric 50.5 (105)
19E SARRERA Michael Moroney 52 (105)
20E MOLOTOV David Hayes D Moor 51 (102

also what are peoples thoughts on the thousand gunieas tomorrow? its a bit of a raffle so took Jestatune @ $9 on IAS. no real reason to be honest. Just had one bad start last start.[/list]
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

DYSON#2 wrote:In the Naturalism Stakes Douro Valley beat Maldivian but i didnt see the race. Can anyone tell me how Douro Valley likes its run? from back middle or up front? Just thought maybe its worth a bit e/w at odds. depending on barrier of course.

The Acceptances for the big one on Saturday.
No. Horse Trainer Jockey Barr Wgt Pen RTG
1 TAWQEET (USA) David Hayes D Dunn 57 (118)
2 BLUE MONDAY (GB) David Hayes N Rawiller 56 (113)
3 BLUTIGEROO Colin Little D Oliver 55.5 (113)
4 RAILINGS Roger James G Childs 55.5 (111)
5 MAYBE BETTER Brian Mayfield-Smith C Brown 54 (112)
6 BLACK TOM David Hayes P A Hall 53.5 (107)
7 PURPLE MOON (IRE) Luca Cumani K McEvoy 53.5 (108)
8 MALDIVIAN (NZ) Mark Kavanagh M Rodd 53 (113)
9 CINQUE CENTO Peter G Moody S Seamer 52.5 (112)
10 MANDELA (NZ) Richard Yuill D Nikolic 52.5 (106)
11 SCENIC SHOT Daniel Morton S Katsidis 52.5 (108)
12 ANNENKOV (IRE) Peter G Moody L Nolen 52 0.5 (105)
13 ANAMATO David Hayes R S Dye 51.5 (110)
14 DOURO VALLEY Danny O'Brien J M Winks 51.5 0.5 (106)
15 SIRMIONE Bart Cummings 51.5 (101)
16 ESKIMO QUEEN (NZ) Michael Moroney C Newitt 51 (106)
17 PRINCESS COUP Mark Walker G Boss 51 (110)
18 MASTER O'REILLY (NZ) Danny O'Brien V Duric 50.5 (105)
19E SARRERA Michael Moroney 52 (105)
20E MOLOTOV David Hayes D Moor 51 (102

also what are peoples thoughts on the thousand gunieas tomorrow? its a bit of a raffle so took Jestatune @ $9 on IAS. no real reason to be honest. Just had one bad start last start.[/list]
Hey mate Douro Valley is a backmarker who charges home late.

Apart from Maldivian all the main threats are the backmarkers, there's going to be no pace in the race what so ever with Anamato, Douro Valley, Master O'Reilly, Tawqeet, Eskimo Queen, Railings, Annekov and Bluetigeroo all coming from the back of the field.

I backed the bloody winner of the Guineas today... for the place. I too had money on Jestatune based on it's run in the Manifold a couple of weeks ago. Still I broke about even so can't complain.