1st Test v Sri Lanka at the GABBA

Talk about cricket, soccer, tennis, rugby, whatever you like. Talk about it here!

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Kiwi Umpire had a friendly chat to him on the way to Lunch.

You don't like players being ruled out under those circumstances and hopefully an encouraging word will cease the practice.

1 - 86 with HAYDOS KICKING HIMSELF for getting himself out.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Starting to build a fair parthership these two 1/161 (partnership of 92) at tea.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

This has a similar feel to the match at the 'Gabba in 2002 when Nasser Hussain opted to bowl and the Aussies went on to be 2-360 odd by the end of the day.

Just can't understand why you'd ever bowl first at the 'Gabba. Once the cloud cover goes, as it inevitably does in Brisbane, it has to be one of the easiest batting pitches in the world.
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

had a lobster on Ponting for most runs at $4.25 for the 1st innings. looking ok so far
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

DYSON#2 wrote:had a lobster on Ponting for most runs at $4.25 for the 1st innings. looking ok so far
Say goodbye to the lobster...Ponting out for 56 (Jaques no 81)
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

goodbye lobster!
another lobster on him next innings
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

DYSON#2 wrote:goodbye lobster!
another lobster on him next innings
That's the spirit :lol:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Jaques gets the ton =D> and then goes out #-o ...just like a newbie :roll: but I bet he'll be feeling pretty happy with himself after he gets over the disappointment of getting out
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

jimmyc1985 wrote:This has a similar feel to the match at the 'Gabba in 2002 when Nasser Hussain opted to bowl and the Aussies went on to be 2-360 odd by the end of the day.

Just can't understand why you'd ever bowl first at the 'Gabba. Once the cloud cover goes, as it inevitably does in Brisbane, it has to be one of the easiest batting pitches in the world.
Particularly when they could have chukka bowling on the last day.
Essendunny
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

swoodley wrote:Jaques gets the ton =D> and then goes out #-o ...just like a newbie :roll: but I bet he'll be feeling pretty happy with himself after he gets over the disappointment of getting out
Really happy for Jaques. Thoroughly deserved selection and a thoroughly deserved ton. I had to laugh out loud when Michael Slater said upon Jaques' dismissal ...... "pretty harsh to say this, but that was reckless from Jaques". Slater recklessly threw away 6 or 7 innings in the 90's if my memory serves me correctly......
Essendunny
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

In fairness to Slater though, it was an absolute shithouse shot by Jaques...clear he had lost his concentration after he got his ton....really smart bowling by Murali though.

If Jaques was ever going to be sucked in to coming down the track it was just after he made his ton.

Still can't believe touring teams win the toss at the GABBA and still elect to bowl first.

It seems like every single f****** year, there is a touch of green in the pitch there is some rain and cloud cover in the lead up to the test and they all of a sudden think they are going to be playing on a f****** greentop, put the Aussies in and then get to chase leather all over the field all freakin day.

What to none of them do any homework on the grounds or what has happened in previous tours???
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

ealesy wrote:In fairness to Slater though, it was an absolute shithouse shot by Jaques...clear he had lost his concentration after he got his ton....really smart bowling by Murali though.
The irony though. I wish I could show some of Slater's shots when he was in the 90's.........I remember one was much worse than Jaques! Slater was right with what he said, but I thought it was funny coming from him :lol:
Essendunny
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Jaques was very good, he would have been having heart failure almost taking 34 ball to get off the mark.

Muirlitharan chucked his way to two wickets. I'm sorry he aint no Warne, will never be, and Bishen Bedi's money is safe, just look at the replays yesterday.........the little bloke in my book chucks it.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

bombercol wrote:Jaques was very good, he would have been having heart failure almost taking 34 ball to get off the mark.

Muirlitharan chucked his way to two wickets. I'm sorry he aint no Warne, will never be, and Bishen Bedi's money is safe, just look at the replays yesterday.........the little bloke in my book chucks it.
There have been 2 law changes to ensure he doesn't "throw". Disgrace. If I remember correctly, Murali was banned from bowling his doosra because it exceeded the 15 degree flexion in his arm. SO WHY IS HE STILL BOWLING IT?

ICC = Incompetent Cricket Clowns
Essendunny
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

hmm will he get the boo's and chucks from the aussie crowd?
Bay 13 in the ODI, will they give it to him
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

And that's the sad thing about all this. Murali is subjected to boos and catcalls and all the other crap that comes his way, when the ICC have completely ballsed it up.

Murali's action is atrocious. But you can't blame him for playing after the ICC cleared his action.

Still, the ICC can't go upsetting the Asian power bloc can they.
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

Don't know why you all get your knickers in a knot about Murali - without him playing, the Aussies would be 1/1000 (boring).

As it is, we are facing another one sided game, one sided series to come, plus the same when the Indians get here.

I want to see a competitive series for a change, this one sided crap is just bull shit. And all you blokes want to do is whinge about a bloke, who, if he wasn't playing, would mean all the Tests would be wrapped up inside 3 days - at least with Murali playing, it will take us all of 4 days to wrap it up.

You watch the ratings start sliding on Ch 9, now that everyone can see it's another one sided contest this summer. Cricket is dull, dull, dull - hasn't been a decent home series for about 15 years.
lozza89
Regular Senior Player

Post by lozza89 »

On a lighter note, well done to The Hus and pup for their centuries. 3 in one innings, pretty good going by the boys
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

CameronClayton wrote:Don't know why you all get your knickers in a knot about Murali - without him playing, the Aussies would be 1/1000 (boring).

As it is, we are facing another one sided game, one sided series to come, plus the same when the Indians get here.

I want to see a competitive series for a change, this one sided crap is just bull shit. And all you blokes want to do is whinge about a bloke, who, if he wasn't playing, would mean all the Tests would be wrapped up inside 3 days - at least with Murali playing, it will take us all of 4 days to wrap it up.

You watch the ratings start sliding on Ch 9, now that everyone can see it's another one sided contest this summer. Cricket is dull, dull, dull - hasn't been a decent home series for about 15 years.
I understand, but it's not Australia's fault no other team in the world is competitive, and it doesn't excuse the fact that they have a player on their team who throws the ball.

The only time one can expect to see a competitive Test series involving Australia is when we play India, in India. So we might all be waiting a fair bit longer for a competitive series at all, let alone a competitive series hosted in Australia.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Cricket is great

Murali is a cheating chucking sooky lala

It is the greatets thing in world sport that we are almost unbeatable. I grew up watching us getting pantsed by all and sundry.... Now we are giving it back in spades.

CC are you telling me that you would not like to see our 2000 season repeated year after year???