FIFA World Cup Thread

Talk about cricket, soccer, tennis, rugby, whatever you like. Talk about it here!

Gyoza
Club Captain

Re: FIFA World Cup Thread

Post by Gyoza »

You do realise that leaves 20% of white blokes and that my comment was meant to be fairly light hearted? :shock:
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Surely after 20 years, they would have moved on and become aware that if you are no good, you shouldn't get picked because you are black.

Anyway, moving on, Greece have gone down 2-0 to Korea, thank god for that! 4 games in the WC, still no goals!!!!!!!!! Suck it!

And whether the South Efricans are black, white, yellow red or green, I hope those who are blowing the horns f****** choke on them. Watch the f****** games rather than using your energy on that. It doesn't add atmosphere, chanting and music do, not f****** blowing a horn like you are trying to call other villagers to arms.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

Nice marking from Nigeria, free header for Heinze to score for the Argies!
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

Robert Green lets through a goal so horrible it makes Kalac's mistake against Croatia at the last World Cup look like a silky smooth save.
England 1 USA 1 at half time.

It's so amusing how England find ways to make the *easy* games extremely stressful and difficult for themselves.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

Almost time :D
who's here?

A lot less excited than four years ago...I guess the novelty at that time and the fact I was in Japan for Australia v Japan were big factors.
Still looking forward to it though.

Would be happy with a 2-0 loss. A draw would be huge, a win a dream. 2-0 was our result against Brazil four years ago, and I think if they achieve the same today it will be something to be pretty proud of.

Look forward to the tales of gloom from the media later today who have lost all perspective and appear to think Australia are the equal of any other team.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

YAWN :roll:

Germany way too good. Should have gone to sleep. Oh well thanks Queen for giving us a day off. It's okay...I'm on holidays anyway.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

JumboPaddy wrote:YAWN :roll:

Germany way too good. Should have gone to sleep. Oh well thanks Queen for giving us a day off. It's okay...I'm on holidays anyway.
hmm....as per my above post....what did you really expect mate?
come on...extend some of your unending enthusiasm when discussing Essendon towards the soccer :D

happy to take 3-1 from here....hope Verbeek makes at least one immediate change at half time and brings on either Kewell or Kennedy.
We're being given plenty of room on the left to send in crosses, so Kennedy may be the better choice.

Have to admit it is a bit of a downer to have gone from "there is no such thing as too many strikers" Hiddink to "there shall be no strikers" Verbeek....takes a bit of mental adjustment.

Anyway...go Aussies.

(ps Zeljco Kalac is a cock...and the SBS team are a bunch of c****...having a massive sook about the way they are playing.....f*** you Zelic, Kalac....how many World Cups did you get us to? Give us back Craig Foster to do the comments.)
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

f****** Mexicans....I knew it. :evil: :evil: :evil: #-o
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

4-0

Next game v Ghana becomes almost a must win (if Germany beat Serbia and Ghana beat us it's all over).

With the need to score and win, and Cahill now unavailable, big changes will have to be made. Going to be interesting to watch.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

That was a tough match to watch.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

We were all over the place at the back. Just as I predicted to my mates pre-World Cup - any team with pacey players or pace of ball movement (Germany have both) will slaughter us.
Having said that if Germany play like that they will smash Serbia and Ghana too, so it's just a three way play-off for second place really.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Mexicans - 3rd rate Spaniards.

And for this result, I blame Pim. Why the f*** does he persist with a flat back 4 plus two holding midfielders and one up front? The formation does not suit the players, like when Trappatoni tried to implement a 4-3-3 for Italy, it does not suit. These players have been playing in a high tempo league and playing with an attacking mind-set their whole-life, sitting back against the Krauts will not win us the game, not even draw it.

And to have Cahill as a lone striker was just dumb. Kennedy or Kewell had to play up front, at least give the Krauts more to think about.

The good thing will be that when Pim leaves, it will most surely be the end of Holman too. Rubbish footballer at best!
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Rossoneri wrote:The good thing will be that when Pim leaves, it will most surely be the end of Holman too. Rubbish footballer at best!
He is an absolute shocker.
Luke Wilkshere is about the only player to come out of last night with any credit.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Ossie wrote:We were all over the place at the back. Just as I predicted to my mates pre-World Cup - any team with pacey players or pace of ball movement (Germany have both) will slaughter us.
Trying to use an offside trap against a team with the pace and class of Germany was just stupid. Playing 4 defenders and 6 midfielders is also a big worry. Is it so hard to play attacking?

This is the first good side Australia has come up against in Verbeek's reign and the Socceroos were found out.
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

robrulz5 wrote:
Ossie wrote:We were all over the place at the back. Just as I predicted to my mates pre-World Cup - any team with pacey players or pace of ball movement (Germany have both) will slaughter us.
Trying to use an offside trap against a team with the pace and class of Germany was just stupid. Playing 4 defenders and 6 midfielders is also a big worry. Is it so hard to play attacking?

This is the first good side Australia has come up against in Verbeek's reign and the Socceroos were found out.
well said Rob
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

I'm distinctly in the yawn camp for soccer. I do like a good highlights package however.

How to watch the WC?
1) Record the game.
2) Watch the entire game on fast Fast Forward. :wink:
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

New Zealand scored in injury time to draw their game!
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Knew I could rely on GERMANY to do the job just once for me.

4 - 0
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

C'mon GHANA.

BLOW THE FLOPPEROOS AWAY!

DO IT FOR AUSSIE RULES! 8)Which I might Add exists outside the AFL Parameters. :roll:
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

germ