FIFA World Cup Thread

Talk about cricket, soccer, tennis, rugby, whatever you like. Talk about it here!

Ossie
Club Captain

Re: FIFA World Cup Thread

Post by Ossie »

grassy1 wrote:C'mon GHANA.

BLOW THE FLOPPEROOS AWAY!

DO IT FOR AUSSIE RULES! 8)Which I might Add exists outside the AFL Parameters. :roll:
What the f*ck are you talking about?
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Is this World Cup going to start generating some exciting games soon...it's been a bloody borefest so far.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

swoodley wrote:Is this World Cup going to start generating some exciting games soon...it's been a bloody borefest so far.
I won't say "what do you expect with soccer". Oh wait, I just did. :roll:

But seriously, can someone please explain how the ball can be that much different and have such an effect??? (I saw the other day that some players were whinging about it)
Surely there are standards that apply for international matches and it can't be too different to what is normally used.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

j-mac31 wrote:
swoodley wrote:Is this World Cup going to start generating some exciting games soon...it's been a bloody borefest so far.

But seriously, can someone please explain how the ball can be that much different and have such an effect??? (I saw the other day that some players were whinging about it)
Surely there are standards that apply for international matches and it can't be too different to what is normally used.
Yes there are standards - www.fifa.com/theball
However ... the new ball is made up of something like eight panels whereas the old ones were 14 or 24. It just means the ball travels differently through the air - it 'floats', it's more like a balloon, and whether it is actually lighter or not, it feels like it is.
I don't understand why they keep f****** about with the ball. The World Cup ball about 12 years ago was fine. Why keep changing it for every tournament?
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Ossie wrote:

DO IT FOR AUSSIE RULES! 8)Which I might Add exists outside the AFL Parameters. :roll:
What the f*ck are you talking about?
Why the f*ck do you care?

Seriously, does anyone care what Grassy says about soccer?
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Ossie wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:

Yes there are standards - http://www.fifa.com/theball
However ... the new ball is made up of something like eight panels whereas the old ones were 14 or 24. It just means the ball travels differently through the air - it 'floats', it's more like a balloon, and whether it is actually lighter or not, it feels like it is.
I don't understand why they keep f****** about with the ball. The World Cup ball about 12 years ago was fine. Why keep changing it for every tournament?
You're speaking my language.

It's more senseless than the NBA "New Ball".
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

It's a money making exercise, each World Cup you have a new ball made and name it the Official Ball of the 2010, 2014, 2018 World Cup etc and sell and few million units worldwide. Makes money for the manufacturer and FIFA.

Anyone else find it "convenient" that ADIDAS is a German company and these balls were used in the the last 4 months of the Bundselegia but no where else.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Pretty bad red card given to a Nigerian player. He put his leg up in a small kicking action and barely caught a Greek player, the Greek player was down for about 2 minutes. Greece come from behind to win 2-1, Ridiculous!
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

robrulz5 wrote:Pretty bad red card given to a Nigerian player. He put his leg up in a small kicking action and barely caught a Greek player, the Greek player was down for about 2 minutes. Greece come from behind to win 2-1, Ridiculous!
Are you serious?

Clearly a red card... Whether he made contact or not there was intent and was totally unprovoked.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

bomberdonnie wrote:
robrulz5 wrote:Pretty bad red card given to a Nigerian player. He put his leg up in a small kicking action and barely caught a Greek player, the Greek player was down for about 2 minutes. Greece come from behind to win 2-1, Ridiculous!
Are you serious?

Clearly a red card... Whether he made contact or not there was intent and was totally unprovoked.
So I guess the AFL should start suspending players forintending to hit someone and missing...

It was very harsh and a huge penalty to pay for such minor contact.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

robrulz5 wrote:
bomberdonnie wrote:
Are you serious?

So I guess the AFL should start suspending players forintending to hit someone and missing...

They do

The action was worse than Beckham's famous incident against the Argies in 98
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Clearly you are a PHUCKWIT.. Go back to what you do best - polishing knobs at Perth FC
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

bomberdonnie wrote:
They do

The action was worse than Beckham's famous incident against the Argies in 98
Very harsh as well but not really a comparison as they are both totally different.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

robrulz5 wrote:
bomberdonnie wrote:
Are you serious?

It was fairly minor contact.

BUT ... he put his studs into the guy's thigh ... it was a moment of madness either way you look at it. If you kick out at anyone you're going to get done. If you do it studs up and make contact you are certainly gone.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

If the Greek guy didn't fall onto the ground as if he had been shot there was no way he would have been sent off!!!
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

robrulz5 wrote:If the Greek guy didn't fall onto the ground as if he had been shot there was no way he would have been sent off!!!
But that's exactly what a shitload of high level soccer players do.....it's one of the reasons that non-soccer fans dislike the game.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Serbia just beat Germany 1-0. Good result for Australia.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

robrulz5 wrote:Serbia just beat Germany 1-0. Good result for Australia.
I'm still trying to get my head around the mechanisms of this result.

I would have thought that it makes little difference, our average goal difference means that we have to win the next two regardless. Is there a way to get out of this group with a win and a draw?
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

The game against Ghana is still a must win. If Australia win then all 4 teams would be on 3 points with 1 game left and with Australia's goal difference they would probably have to beat Serbia as well anyway.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

robrulz5 wrote:Serbia just beat Germany 1-0. Good result for Australia.
Not sure how this is a good result for us?

It only makes it possible for us to finish on top which is unlikely anyway.

We could have drawn with Serbia if they lost that game now we must win