Black Caviar

Talk about cricket, soccer, tennis, rugby, whatever you like. Talk about it here!

Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Re: Black Caviar

Post by Gimps »

filthy2 wrote:
Gimps wrote:When people ask me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I always say a jockey - love the confused look on peoples faces as I'm just over 6"2 and weigh a tick over 100kg.
Sounds like you have been in the same paddock as BC. :lol:
Plenty of muscle to clean you up with - not that it would take much :wink:
filthy2

Post by filthy2 »

Plenty of muscle to clean you up with - not that it would take much

Sadly correct with moi at 88kgs and a neck injury! :) Must remember your crook back and kick you in the bum before skooting!! :lol:
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

All class.

Again.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

my tip that she will be spelled soon has proven right, just 1 race earlier then i thought, she'll miss the Doomben 10,000 and hit the paddocks for a while, she did look a bit weary in her longest spell to date.... Moody wants to step up her distance next prep, will be interesting to see how she goes
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

14 wins. No losses.
Better than Phar Lap?
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

F111 wrote:14 wins. No losses.
Better than Phar Lap?
Not sure any of us can fairly comment on having seen Phar Lap :D.

She's obviously just way too good against the sprinters, but it's a bit hard to compare her to the middle distance champs as she's never raced over 1200m. I doubt she will eever be beaten in a sprint, she is just way too good, but at some stage the temptation to step her up to 1600-2000m will probably come and that'll be where she'll face some stiffer competition. Silent Witness did the same 7-8 years ago, he was just completely unbeatable up to 1200m but got beaten a few times when he stepped up to a mile.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

i don't see the point in stepping her up to longer distances, 1400 maybe if there is a good race but she is a pure sprinter, so let her keep winning those i say
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Comparing Black Caviar and Phar Lap is like comparing John Coleman and Matthew Lloyd. Idiotic and incomparable. And it gives me seventeen different sorts of the shits when people do.

Both icons of Australian racing, as well as Makybe Diva (maybe I'm biased!) and should be judged on their merits, not on each others.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Jazz_84 wrote:i don't see the point in stepping her up to longer distances, 1400 maybe if there is a good race but she is a pure sprinter, so let her keep winning those i say
I think Moody might get bored and try to experiment..

Just hope he hasn't used the juice on her..
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Megan wrote:Comparing Black Caviar and Phar Lap is like comparing John Coleman and Matthew Lloyd. Idiotic and incomparable. And it gives me seventeen different sorts of the shits when people do.

Both icons of Australian racing, as well as Makybe Diva (maybe I'm biased!) and should be judged on their merits, not on each others.
Please dont ever mention Makybe Diva and Phar Lap in the same breath ever again.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

boncer34 wrote:
Megan wrote:Comparing Black Caviar and Phar Lap is like comparing John Coleman and Matthew Lloyd. Idiotic and incomparable. And it gives me seventeen different sorts of the shits when people do.

Please dont ever mention Makybe Diva and Phar Lap in the same breath ever again.
She was an icon, but agree with your sentiment Bonce
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Jazz_84 wrote:i don't see the point in stepping her up to longer distances, 1400 maybe if there is a good race but she is a pure sprinter, so let her keep winning those i say
From the mouth of babes
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Gimps wrote:
boncer34 wrote:

She was an icon, but agree with your sentiment Bonce
I admitt the Diva was a quality horse. I dislike the bullshit surrounding her though eg. "Greatest of all time"

Complete Crap.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

I dislike the garbage re Black Caviar being the greatest. Still hasn't earned her stripes in my opinion.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Big fan of the Diva, but I was referring to those who compared her to Phar Lap at the time, and other horsie greats. My point being you can't compare any of them unless you can actually race them against each other. Things change.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
Choppy
Top Up Player

Post by Choppy »

She was an icon, but agree with your sentiment Bonce[/quote]

I admitt the Diva was a quality horse. I dislike the bullshit surrounding her though eg. "Greatest of all time"

Complete Crap.[/quote]

Quality horse? Think you'll find she was more than a 'quality horse' champ...not sure what you were watching...three MCups (albeit last one with a gift weight and track made-to-order)..never seen a Cox Plate won so far out...destroyed a superstar in Grand Armee in the BMW, Australian Cup demolition, group 2 win over 1400 metres first up. She was a legend.

Phar Lap no doubt in a league of his own but for other reasons as well, surrounding the era he ran. Some experts in the 1930s reckon Peter Pan was better..I'm just saying...

Best stayers/middle distance I seen are:

1. Makybe Diva / So You Think (hard to split; SYT should have an Arc 2nd to his name...wait to see hwat he does in Japan or USA...he wins one of those and he goes to number 1)
2. Might and Power
...bit of a gap
3. Sunline
4. Northerly
5. Saintly or Tie the Knot
Choppy
Top Up Player

Post by Choppy »

Best sprinters:

1. Black Caviar
2. Hay List
3. Takeover Target
4. Schillaci
5. General Nediym
6. Miss Andretti
7. Mahogany
8. Apache Cat
9. Gold Edition
10. Isca
Apologies for any major omissions...special mentions to Grand Archway and Spartacas
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Choppy wrote:She was an icon, but agree with your sentiment Bonce

Complete Crap.[/quote]

Quality horse? Think you'll find she was more than a 'quality horse' champ...not sure what you were watching...three MCups (albeit last one with a gift weight and track made-to-order)..never seen a Cox Plate won so far out...destroyed a superstar in Grand Armee in the BMW, Australian Cup demolition, group 2 win over 1400 metres first up. She was a legend.

Phar Lap no doubt in a league of his own but for other reasons as well, surrounding the era he ran. Some experts in the 1930s reckon Peter Pan was better..I'm just saying...

Best stayers/middle distance I seen are:

1. Makybe Diva / So You Think (hard to split; SYT should have an Arc 2nd to his name...wait to see hwat he does in Japan or USA...he wins one of those and he goes to number 1)
2. Might and Power
...bit of a gap
3. Sunline
4. Northerly
5. Saintly or Tie the Knot[/quote]

Lol let me focus on the Cox plate first. Never seen a larger win you say? Did you happen to see Sunline in 2000? Had it clear by the bend by about 3 lengths and won by 7-8 lengths. Diva hit the front in the straight and won by a length. Her time was also the slowest since they changed the distance, yes the track wasn't in great nick but others have gone round quicker on worst.

And the Melbourne Cups. Well you've already admitted that the 3rd was gifted to her on a plate so I wont bother with that. First one she won was a rubbish field as seen by the fact great stayers like She's Archie and Jardines Lookout filled the places. Second one I'll give her without saying anything. Excellent run. And whilst gifted the third she still had to be quality to win it although again the field left a lot to be desired IMO.

So yes a quality horse. Greatest of all time? Hardly.
Kingston Town, Phar Lap, Peter Pan (Who may have been better then Phar Lap), Might and Power and Saintly. All would run rings around the Diva.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Kingston Town, Phar Lap, Peter Pan (Who may have been better then Phar Lap), Might and Power and Saintly. All would run rings around the Diva.
Totally disagree. The Diva beat a lot of good horses over her career and won her last Cup as a mare carrying 58. I loved the way she'd stay back and unleashed her devastating run on the field. She is one of my all time favourites.

The point is you cant compare eras as the entire methodology for training horses was different. In Phar Lap era horses were given "tonics" which some think might have ended up contributing to his ultimate demise.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
Choppy
Top Up Player

Post by Choppy »

Lol let me focus on the Cox plate first. Never seen a larger win you say? Did you happen to see Sunline in 2000? Had it clear by the bend by about 3 lengths and won by 7-8 lengths. Diva hit the front in the straight and won by a length. Her time was also the slowest since they changed the distance, yes the track wasn't in great nick but others have gone round quicker on worst.

And the Melbourne Cups. Well you've already admitted that the 3rd was gifted to her on a plate so I wont bother with that. First one she won was a rubbish field as seen by the fact great stayers like She's Archie and Jardines Lookout filled the places. Second one I'll give her without saying anything. Excellent run. And whilst gifted the third she still had to be quality to win it although again the field left a lot to be desired IMO.

Kingston Town, Phar Lap, Peter Pan (Who may have been better then Phar Lap), Might and Power and Saintly. All would run rings around the Diva.[/quote]

I never said 'larger' win..I said easier. 8 wide on the bend under a hold...might have won by a length but horse that ran second was a two-time winner and second in a Caulfield Cup...

I am not going to argue this with you any further...I've been watching races VERY closely for 20 years and she was a champion. Maybe not in the "all-time" category as the immortals...but defintiely in the level below them...and far supeior to Saintly.