2nd Test v The Lankans @ Hobart

Talk about cricket, soccer, tennis, rugby, whatever you like. Talk about it here!

Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

They have to do something about the pitches. Everybody praises Kevin Mitchell Junior, but year after year, he produces roads. Why can they produce a pitch that actually has something a bt extra in it for the bowlers?

And I think we should get a counter on how many times Mark Nicholaus says "now then". My god its annoying. He is my least favourite commentator behind Ian Smith.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

The series so far:

Aus 11 for 1303.
SL 30 for 757.

Aus 5 x 100s & 7 x 50s.
SL 1 x 100, 3 x 50s.

Hmmmm.
Last edited by tonysoprano on Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

:lol:

I just checked the live stats for the series and noticed that almost all Australian batsmen have averaged over 100 and almost all Sri Lankan bowlers have also!

:lol:
Essendunny
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Damn you MacGill!! 3front foot noballs in the one over.. one of them costing a wicket!! A LEGSPINNER SHOULD NEVER OVERSTEP (Noone should ever overstep but most of all a leggie!!) !!!!!!!!

Damn you!
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

MacGill isn't right.

Symonds was saying at the end of the day when he was being interviewed by Nicholas that Macgill could not even feel his fingers yesterday...that would have to have a pretty big impact on a spinner.

I also don't think his knee isn't 100% right, he just does not seem to be driving through with his follow through at the moment.

We need a improved performance from him yesterday if we are going to win this game.

It may even be possible that the Sri Lankans can pull this off...I mean they've got a full day to score 260 (that's less than 3 runs an over) with a well set Sangakarra and Jayasuria.

We need an early breakthrough tomorrow.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

That was first class garbage from MacGill today.

Brett Lee......I dips my lid.
Essendunny
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

BenDoolan wrote:That was first class garbage from MacGill today.

Re: Macgill, surely it was due to the injury he sustained in the 1st inns. It was crap - but to me he was bowling under duress.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

tonysoprano wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:That was first class garbage from MacGill today.

Re: Macgill, surely it was due to the injury he sustained in the 1st inns. It was crap - but to me he was bowling under duress.
Simply don't bowl him then. You can't bowl 16 overs if you are injured. Michael Clarke is more than capable of tying down one end. MacGill may as well have dressed up in a Santa suit with the amount of gifts he was bowling at them today. What's with the no-balls? Did he injure his brain?
Essendunny
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Brett Lee makes the crucial breakthrough (again) removed Sanath.

Johnson then picks up 2 wickets in 2 balls.

Lee has bowled very very well this series. 145km/h at the top of off is very hard to play against. Lucky most have been saying it for the majority of his career, clearly it was a plan to let him just attack with Pigeon and Warne in the team to tie down an end.

Lets hope he can continue this against the Indians.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Really thought that the Sri Lankans would put up a fight today.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Sangakarra is. He is smacking us around the park right now.

177 and counting. 163 runs still to get for victory, and he's looking like he might get them all himself!

(note: I know that this is actually very unlikely, but still...)
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

he's out now from a terrible decision from Rudi.

192: great knock.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Sangakarra out to a dubious bit of umpiring to say the least.

Looks like the ball hit his shoulder rather than his bat, then hit his helmet and bobs up to Ponting.

Hate it when there are very poor decisions that end such brilliant innings.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

I haven't seen the decision (following on cricinfo at work) - but my question is - is it possible to have a shocking decision from an umpire without a shocking appeal from the fielding side?
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

tonysoprano wrote:I haven't seen the decision (following on cricinfo at work) - but my question is - is it possible to have a shocking decision from an umpire without a shocking appeal from the fielding side?
Possibly. They would have heard a noise, probably the ball hitting the helmet.

Or they may have just appealed to try and fool the umpire.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Rossoneri wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:I haven't seen the decision (following on cricinfo at work) - but my question is - is it possible to have a shocking decision from an umpire without a shocking appeal from the fielding side?
Possibly. They would have heard a noise, probably the ball hitting the helmet.

Or they may have just appealed to try and fool the umpire.
Hmmm. My point is that umps take the blame for bad decisions - but I reckon fielders should be exposed more. If they appealed for something they know was NOT out then they are cheating. If fielders genuinely believe it was out, then the umpire surely can't be castigated for sharing the same belief.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Love the idiots on bigfooty. They're now saying Sangakarra is close to the best batsman in the world and that him getting out means the result of the match is now a farce.

I honestly thought he was gone when I first saw it, gut instinct said GONE. Of course after seeing the 100 replays, slow-more, snicko's and that one where everything goes grey I know he's not out.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

START RANT HERE:

That decision to give Sangakarra out was one of the worst decisions in test cricket I have seen in a long time...(almost as bad watching Barry Gommersell refereeing state of origin for those that know anything about Thugby League...)

The fielders and bowler are entitled to appeal, but even to the naked eye, that missed the bat and after the follow through, it was clearly nowhere near bat and at the end of the day, Rudi screwed up not the fielders...

This is a situation where technology clearly showed the decision to be wrong and (even though I am a bowler) I believe that the third umpire should be allowed to recall the batsman to the crease when the decision is clearly shown to be wrong...

END RANT HERE

Also, it is good to SL putting up some fight and I hope that they make life difficult for Australia even though I still want us to win :)
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Crazyman - would you expand more on why you think the fielders haven't screwed up? I'm just interested to know how others see it.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

tonysoprano wrote:Crazyman - would you expand more on why you think the fielders haven't screwed up? I'm just interested to know how others see it.
Because there are situations where batsmen don't walk. The game evens itself out. Players are entitled to "ask the question" and umpires are there to "make the decision". If were going to use technology to umpire cricket, then lets do it for all decisions including the contentious "throwing" controversy.
Essendunny