FIFA World Cup Thread

Talk about cricket, soccer, tennis, rugby, whatever you like. Talk about it here!

bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Re: FIFA World Cup Thread

Post by bomberdonnie »

Portugal just put on what would have to be the best 45 minutes of the tournamnet thus far... Albeit against North Korea

Ronaldo was devistating... I miss him so!
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

That was awesome to watch. Ronaldo's goal was quite funny, he ran past the ball and it hit him on the back of his head before it fell to his feet.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

Smashed them. I was talking with someone before the start of the game about how Ivory Coast and Portugal were going to be fighting it out over goal difference....ie who can beat North Korea by the most and lose to Brazil by the least.
That battle is now over. ;)
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

French players refused to train today :shock:
They're a disgrace. Be very very interesting to watch their last game and see
a) who is selected to play
b) their performance

Stand by for midnight tomorrow night.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

BomberinJapan wrote:French players refused to train today :shock:
They're a disgrace. Be very very interesting to watch their last game and see
a) who is selected to play
b) their performance

Stand by for midnight tomorrow night.
They didnt refuse to train they we just running away from something

They are the biggest joke in world sport right now .... Can not even imagine the egos in that dressing room
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Didn't deserve to be there in the first place.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

How does this WC compare to previous?

It seems full of negativity. The frogs, the ball, Italians still diving, cards, cards and more cards...Australia's poor show...

North Korea were celebrating a famous victory today. D'ya think they get different news to everyone else?
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

It's got shades of Italia '90 about it.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Holman anyone?

Great effort by the Socceroos winning 2-1 against the Serbs but wasnt enough as we miss out on goal difference thanks to the pathetic 4 nil drubbing at the hands of thew Krauts.

Good news is that England have to play the Krauts in the next round which means one of them has to be knocked out... Going to be very tough for us to qualify for the next couple of world cups I feel as a lot of our current batch will be retired or 4 years older.

Lets hope this tournament starts to liven up a bit and becomes the spectacle that it promises
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

bomberdonnie wrote:Holman anyone?

Great effort by the Socceroos winning 2-1 against the Serbs but wasnt enough as we miss out on goal difference thanks to the pathetic 4 nil drubbing at the hands of thew Krauts.

Good news is that England have to play the Krauts in the next round which means one of them has to be knocked out... Going to be very tough for us to qualify for the next couple of world cups I feel as a lot of our current batch will be retired or 4 years older.

Lets hope this tournament starts to liven up a bit and becomes the spectacle that it promises
Brilliant effort from the boys, very proud.
If it wasn't for the Germany debacle we'd be in the Round of 16 today. And we'd have a very beatable USA.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Ossie wrote:

If it wasn't for the Germany debacle we'd be in the Round of 16 today. And we'd have a very beatable USA.
Or if Wilkshire had have slotted that golden chance in the dying seconds of the Ghana game!
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

bomberdonnie wrote:
Ossie wrote:

Or if Wilkshire had have slotted that golden chance in the dying seconds of the Ghana game!
Can't really be too tough on Wilkshere there - he's a right back and did well to even get that far forward. Scoring's not his job.
Had we actually gone out there to try to score against Germany (and not just see whether we could limit the damage) we would be through. See ya Pim.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

You lot know me.

To be Fair,good effort by 'em last night.

But for me,A few Junior Clubs Died with that win.

But the good News is Many were SAVED with the Socceroos FAILING to make the 2nd stage.

I truly DREAD the day when SOCCER takes over AUSSIE RULES(especially Junior Level) as the Number 1 WINTER CODE in AUSTRALIA! #-o :-& :evil:
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

grassy1 wrote:You lot know me.

To be Fair,good effort by 'em last night.

But for me,A few Junior Clubs Died with that win.

But the good News is Many were SAVED with the Socceroos FAILING to make the 2nd stage.

I truly DREAD the day when SOCCER takes over AUSSIE RULES(especially Junior Level) as the Number 1 WINTER CODE in AUSTRALIA! #-o :-& :evil:
*yawn* serious paranoia grassy.

It was a good game to watch. Was proud of the win but not sad to see the back of Pim...we clearly need an attacking mindset to play at our best and hopefully this is taken into consideration when selecting the next coach.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Apart from the clusterfuck of issues against Germany, it was a pretty reasonable World Cup.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

A good win by the boys. They got 4 points in the group stage in 2006 and 4 points again this time around with possibly a weaker side and definately an inferior manager.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

The knives are sharpening in the Italian press.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Ahaha, that's karma for four years ago you diving cheating tossers!
Arrivederci Italy! vingertje :lol:
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Caught Fossie chucky a major tanty on SBS last night about comments that Pim Verbeek supposedly made to the Dutch press after the Germany game.

Anyone know what that was all about?

Love the passion Fossie has for Australian football but he comes across as a bit of a knob at times like these. He was shrieking on and on about how from now on the Australians should only have an Australian coach, to ensure the team plays the Australian way.

WTF, I'm sorry after struggling to make the World Cup after 32 years of trying, we make back to back Dutch coaches and you then want to piss off the notion of International coaches altogether because one made shitty team and tatical decisions in one game and apparently slagged the team off in the Dutch media?
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Didn't hear / see it but I have no idea what he would have been going on about.
In any case it seems Paul le Guen is firming as favourite to be our new coach - ex-Cameroon manager who just crashed out of the World Cup bottom of their group and with no points ... #-o
Although he did take Lyon to three straight French League titles ... but f***** up at Rangers. I dunno .. I am sceptical. I think we can do better.