2nd Test v The Lankans @ Hobart

Talk about cricket, soccer, tennis, rugby, whatever you like. Talk about it here!

Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

tonysoprano wrote:Crazyman - would you expand more on why you think the fielders haven't screwed up? I'm just interested to know how others see it.
None of the fielders are in a position to see it. Bowler is recovering from bowling the ball. Keeper/slips are blocked by the batsman. All others get a side veiw which is a lot harder to see than a straight on.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Sismis wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:Crazyman - would you expand more on why you think the fielders haven't screwed up? I'm just interested to know how others see it.
None of the fielders are in a position to see it. Bowler is recovering from bowling the ball. Keeper/slips are blocked by the batsman. All others get a side veiw which is a lot harder to see than a straight on.
serious? you must be saying this tongue in cheek!

or have you just suggested there is no way in the world that any of the 11 members of the fielding side could possibly know if a batsmen is out or not? are you suggesting they are in fact guessing?
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Glad to expand my thoughts (hopefully not too boring...)

Cricket is a competitive sport and the fielding team is trying their best to get the batsmen out regardless of the match situation...as such, the fielding side are basically obliged to appeal if they think it may be out and then umpire must make a decision from there.

Remember, there is no law on how 'strong' or convincing an appeal has to be and it only requires ONE fielder to appeal to make the umpire make a decision (e.g. deep square leg can appeal for LBW and the ump has to rule on the appeal)...

As BD pointed out, the umpire is ultimately the one who is there to make the the decision and if fielder(s) appeal (which is ultimately what they will do) then the umpire should say not out if it is not out...

Personally, if I don't think it is out, I don't appeal and if I am unsure, I may appeal half heartedly...Also, if I know the player is not out, I would call him back...
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Just thought I'd let you all know that I once "walked" on an LBW before the umpire put his finger up. I was completely f***'n bamboozled by a wrong-un that I shouldered arms to - and consequently as the ball thudded into my pad I began my walk.....
Essendunny
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

BenDoolan wrote:Just thought I'd let you all know that I once "walked" on an LBW before the umpire put his finger up. I was completely f***'n bamboozled by a wrong-un that I shouldered arms to - and consequently as the ball thudded into my pad I began my walk.....
Interesting BD

I once got struck on the pads to a ball that was going down leg by about 2 feet and the ball landed at my feet. The umpire signalled wide to the sheer dismay of the fielding team unsurprisingly... When questioned he yelled out "It would have been a fckin wide if it didn't hit his pads!!!"

There was not a dry eye in the house!!!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

bomberdonnie wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:Just thought I'd let you all know that I once "walked" on an LBW before the umpire put his finger up. I was completely f***'n bamboozled by a wrong-un that I shouldered arms to - and consequently as the ball thudded into my pad I began my walk.....
Interesting BD

I once got struck on the pads to a ball that was going down leg by about 2 feet and the ball landed at my feet. The umpire signalled wide to the sheer dismay of the fielding team unsurprisingly... When questioned he yelled out "It would have been a fckin wide if it didn't hit his pads!!!"

There was not a dry eye in the house!!!
You get some weird decisions in club cricket. The VTCA recruited some absolute turkeys as umpires. There have been many woeful decisions, but two have stuck in my head as hilarious;

1. An umpire called a "short run" on a single. WTF???? We were fielding and the batsman from the non strikers end ran down to the other end and attempted to run a 2nd without putting his bat behind the crease. It didn't matter as he decided not to run the 2nd run and just went back in his crease to face the next ball. Standing at square led was umpire Goofy with his hand tapping his shoulder for a short run! The scorers yelled out to the umpire that it was only a SINGLE, but the tool refused to cancel his decision. So it stood as NO RUN even though they than ran a single! f***'n incredible.

2. I was at the non strikers end when the opening bowler was called for a no-ball. On his return back to his mark he asked the umpire "where did my foot land?". I stood there in amazement when the umpire replied "I don't know, I didn't see it". WTF????? Naturally the bowler said "well why did you call a f***'n no-ball?" There was no reply forthcoming!

And yes, these guys got paid!
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

IAN CHAPPELL forgot to ask TIGER LANCE how many times it Bounced 1st before he caught it.1969 - 70!

GILLY's good at WALKING.If he sees something,will he ask RICKY to RECALL someone who is CLEARLY Not Out?