06/07 Cricket thread

Talk about cricket, soccer, tennis, rugby, whatever you like. Talk about it here!

bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Great innings' tonight by Punter and Hodge look to have stolen it...

After a shaky start Hodge has really come through with the goods tonight... Does this mean a ticket to the WC?
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Ponting gone but we shall still win.

I hope.

Edit- Hussey

=definitely

Edit 2 :P - Hussey out Hodge and White. Vics finish ti off in front of their home town :)
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

99 n.o for Hodge.

Bugger

Oh well we won :D Looked slow at first but got it together once Ponting and Hodge got it going.
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

All of a sudden Hodge is averaging 50 in ODI this season and has all but booked his plane ticket to the Caribbean.

Brilliant run chase, Hodge and Punter sensational partnership, I really liked the way Hodge didnt panic early and lifted his run rate when it mattered, shattered he didnt get his hundred, but in the end it's only elementary.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

f*** you Ponting. And f*** you too Hodge. And f*** the entire New Zealand cricket team for being so deplorably shit.

***Note to self: New Zealand are shit, ergo don't bet on them to actually ever win something.***
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

Put your house on them to win on tuesday.

There is no way Eng;and will want to stay in Australia any longer, if ever a team was to throw a game of cricket, this would be it.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

BenDoolan wrote:You've blown it Hodgey. You can't say you never had the opportunity to do something at ODI's. Oh well, keep knocking up the runs for the Vics son!
Now that was a really smart thing to say... :roll:

Well what dya know? He probably kissed his ODI career goodbye the other day, and with Symonds injury, he gets a reprieve. Spewing about him stuck on 99 not out, but I bet he thought that was 99 runs more than he would ever make again in Australian colours!

Top knock Hodgey, well played. Good luck in the World Cup!

P.S Ponting is a batting machine.
lozza89
Regular Senior Player

Post by lozza89 »

Hodgey just booked his ticket to the World Cup tonight with the performance he displayed. He was calm throughout his innings and played the right shots when they had to be hit, and punished the ones that deserved to be punished. Just glad that he has just about put Watson out of contention for the World Cup!!
I think Hodgey just wanted to save a performace like he did for his home crowd! :P
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Anyone going to the GSS next week should wear a fluoro green vest like the coppers...there were quite a few of them tonight...coppers that is. It'd be quite a funny site to see their vests outnubered!

The civil disobedience was humorous tonight as the wave started with the crowd actually waving at each other, then turning to the usual hands in the air, then rubbish in the air wave as the thing circumnavigated the arena numerous times.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I thought Australia was gone for a while when needing 8 an over. The crowd was also quite quiet for a while.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

In one-day cricket, 8-10 run an overs is manageable as long as you have plenty of wickets in hand.

I was never in doubt that we would win, once Hodge and Ponting had established their partnership.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

What about Tait! massive improvement from last game, if he can approach this level more often he will be our first choice ODI bowler. I don't ever recall seeing so many unplayable balls in an ODI.

Hodge was very very lucky, but finally showed his class and hopefully gained the confidence he needs. Was good for him to have Ponting out there, Punter really showed his leadership tonight.

Shame about the runout. Took the gloss off a bit.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Punter wins all the prizes at the ABM...

[gomer pyle voice]surprise, surprise, surprise![/gomer pyle voice]
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Is it just me or does Cam White need a personality transplant? I never see the bloke with any expression whatsoever, be it on the cricket field, interviews or at functions. He genuinely looks "uncomfortable" in his surroundings.
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

its not just you.. he looked very bored
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

He looks more comfortable than Chris Rogers!

I don't think he looks uncomfortable, I just don't think he gives a lot, same with Brad Hodge I reckon as well, not the best two media performers you'll see.

Maybe the whole Vic side needs some tuning like what Big Matty had.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

rama_fan wrote:He looks more comfortable than Chris Rogers!

I don't think he looks uncomfortable, I just don't think he gives a lot, same with Brad Hodge I reckon as well, not the best two media performers you'll see.

Maybe the whole Vic side needs some tuning like what Big Matty had.
Yeah I'm noticing this away from the cameras though. Like when he's leaving the field with team mates, or sitting at a table with team mates etc. I know Bear is unsettled when being interviewed, but Hodgey is cool, calm and collected in that process IMO
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

I agree, White looks alright actually on the field in his interaction with teammates but when a wicket falls or they're walking off or whatever he seems to just always be by himself in his own little world.

Mark Nicholas couldnt get Chris Rogers off the stage quick enough last night!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

rama_fan wrote:I agree, White looks alright actually on the field in his interaction with teammates but when a wicket falls or they're walking off or whatever he seems to just always be by himself in his own little world.

Mark Nicholas couldnt get Chris Rogers off the stage quick enough last night!
It looks a bit like stage fright for these young guns. Hilfenhaus and Rogers were definitely nervous.

I've heard a story about Cam White's demeanor from a President of his ex-District club. Not good from the sounds of it.....that's why I cast an eye on his conduct in those situations you described above :wink:
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Well those who said Hodge and Tait were rubbish at ODI level were wrong.

Great to see Hodge finally make a score (damn it wish I'd gone). And Tait bowled really well to keep his economy down to 2.6rpo. Lee should watch and learn. And he was averaging over 150km/h! (One ball got up to 160!) Can't use pace as an excuse as to why Lee is expensive from now on.

Anyone see the game on TV? The camera work was shocking. Instead of focusing on the pitch as the ball was bowled, the idiots followed the ball, so the camera wasn't still. When Tait was bowling consitently over 150 km/h you could hardly tell what was happening! The commentators said he wasn't getting much swing, but you wouldn't have been able to tell if he was.