06/07 Cricket thread

Talk about cricket, soccer, tennis, rugby, whatever you like. Talk about it here!

Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

bomberdonnie wrote:
Sismis wrote:Nothing wrong with the pitch they are 0/50 odd after about 10
As I said previously the toss won them this one

If you think there was nothing wrong with the pitch you obviously didnt watch the first innings!!
They haven't lost a friggen wicket! Unless the pitch suddenly GOT BETTER there is nothing wrong with it!
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

I think its more a case of NZ bowlers using the conditions better than our bowlers.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

We batted shit, we're feilding shit and we're bowling shit.

Can anyone remember the last time we got rolled for 150?
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

BD, you're up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Only happened to us 4 other occassions.
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

As much as I love the game and digest a shitload of statistical information, I struggle when it comes to ODI's simply because there is so much of it, it goes through me like diarrhoea.

However, I recall a match where South Africa bowled us out under 100 over there last summer I think.
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

Seriously, how bad were our dismissals?

I mean sure the pitch was slow, but every wicket that I saw (Hodge, Hayden, Hussey, White, Watson, Jacques, Hogg) with the exception of Brad Haddin was from poor shot selection or just lazy execution of the shot.

The pitch was hardly unplayable, evident by the fact New Zealand would have made 300+ had they batted first.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

rama_fan wrote:Seriously, how bad were our dismissals?

I mean sure the pitch was slow, but every wicket that I saw (Hodge, Hayden, Hussey, White, Watson, Jacques, Hogg) with the exception of Brad Haddin was from poor shot selection or just lazy execution of the shot.

The pitch was hardly unplayable, evident by the fact New Zealand would have made 300+ had they batted first.
Sometimes that's One Day cricket though. The game forces you to play shots, and sometimes, they're not the right one's. You'd have to say Cameron White was pretty stiff, that was an unbelievable catch by Bond. For the little that I saw, NZ bowled in the right areas and got rewarded.
On the Rookie List

Post by 84859300 »

Conspiracy theory time again.

NZ comes to Aus and are completly outclassed, even by England in 3 nation tourney. Team returns home, Flemming under the pump, not much depth with injuries.....the whole nation is slitting their wrists not buying SKY subscriptions to watch the Black Caps go round the Windies in a couple of weeks.

All of a sudden, the sly word is put from the TV networks to the Aussies to help out a friend in need. Bam. All out for 150 and NZ are the greatest team in the world. Now that satisfaction is restored, it's game on again boys. Aussies win the second game and the last game drags out as one team chases 210 in 48.5 overs for the TV.

This is also discounting that we are 4 players down from our best side, the batting order is in disarray and Hussey is a new international captain.

The finish of the ComBank series still leaves a bad stench for mine. With selections and performance, you could argue that the selectors gave up on winning the trophy to give a few guys a run before the WC. But then England beats the Aussies and stir their fans up after a summer that produced 4 wins. And they are now happy.

All a build up for sponsors and ratings for the WC. The only legit teams will be the battlers like Holland, Scotland and Canada.
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

White was stiff, but my point is Benny is that the pitch wasn't a complete minefield, only one person in the line up got an absolute Jaffa that was unplayable.

The rest of them were to soft dismissals or simply to batsman being jetlagged/run down into the ground/not giving a donald duck/horribly out of form.

For the sake of the World Cup campaign let's hope that it's the first three reasons and not the last.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

I dunno, but the ashes victory must've been a huge satisfaction for this team. They must've been so "up" for the ashes that a bit of a downturn in form just might have been inevitable. Include the omissions and injuries for this short series, Symonds selection for the later part of the wc, Lees dubious future and Gilly's late start to the campaign, it's hard to feel confident they'll do to well at all.
However, they have proved they are champions over and over. If this team will stamp it's superiority in the wc they will indeed be deserving of greatness.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I think you're reading too much into it though RF. Not every team is dismissed by bowling 10 jaffas. Most of the time all the bowler needs to do is bowl the ball in the area of doubt and the batsman can be drawn in to a flase stroke - that's called good bowling. Yeah sure, sometimes you might see a batsman play a pre-meditated hoik to a ball that should be treated with respect - that's poor shot selection.

But you will find in ODI's batsmen who are willing to play reverse sweeps, step away from the stumps and go thump, guiding the ball down to third man, stepping to the on side and trying to glance etc, etc - they are all highly risky shots. And sometimes they come off, and sometimes they don't. It's not about the bowler bowling jaffas, it's about them maintaining accuracy and hitting that length that causes doubt.

IMO, apart from Jaques and Hussey, the rest fell to good bowling - and a blinder of a catch. I don't think we can criticise Hogg for attempting to flick the ball to the fine leg boundary at the 49.3 over stage......

From what I saw, the pitch wasn't unplayable, but the ball was moving around a hell of a lot when we batted. They bowled a lot better than we did and that's the bottom line. To not make an impact with the ball is a bad sign. As I have said recently, McGrath has lost his zip, Watson continues to get smashed, and now without Lee, we have no "impact" bowler. Perhaps Tait has to step up to the blocks, and Johnson needs to mature overnight.

Our WC campaign is looking sick at the moment .
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

BenDoolan wrote:IMO, apart from Jaques and Hussey, the rest fell to good bowling - and a blinder of a catch. I don't think we can criticise Hogg for attempting to flick the ball to the fine leg boundary at the 49.3 over stage......
Replace Hussey with Hodge...

Hussey got out to a full blooded cover drive and a screamer of a catch at a stage of the match that runs were desperately needed so I dont think you can call that soft.

Hodge on the other hand played a late cut when there is a first slip in place of Vettori just one delivery after he tried the same thing and it kicked on him missing the top edge. Why he would try to replicate the shot is beyond me!!!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

bomberdonnie wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:IMO, apart from Jaques and Hussey, the rest fell to good bowling - and a blinder of a catch. I don't think we can criticise Hogg for attempting to flick the ball to the fine leg boundary at the 49.3 over stage......
Replace Hussey with Hodge...

Hussey got out to a full blooded cover drive and a screamer of a catch at a stage of the match that runs were desperately needed so I dont think you can call that soft.

Hodge on the other hand played a late cut when there is a first slip in place of Vettori just one delivery after he tried the same thing and it kicked on him missing the top edge. Why he would try to replicate the shot is beyond me!!!
Actually, I didn't even realise I wrote Hussey....I did mean Hodge! Bloody "haitches" there was 4 of them in the team....
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

I thought it was a strange comment from such a keen observer of the game... I thought you may have had your dark blue glasses on mate!!

Good start to the Tassie v Vics with the vics 2/57 after 14... May walk down later and have a look
lozza89
Regular Senior Player

Post by lozza89 »

Well stand in skipper David Hussey has made an awesome ton. Started off very very slowly, but started to get his big hitting game on towards the end of his innings. Has been in excellent form in both forms of the game this summer Hussey, and doing a pretty good job of captaining the sides without White and Hodge.
Vics batted very well finishing up 6/273.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Ended up on 283.
X with a quick 31 right at the end.
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

BenDoolan wrote:I think you're reading too much into it though RF. Not every team is dismissed by bowling 10 jaffas. Most of the time all the bowler needs to do is bowl the ball in the area of doubt and the batsman can be drawn in to a flase stroke - that's called good bowling. Yeah sure, sometimes you might see a batsman play a pre-meditated hoik to a ball that should be treated with respect - that's poor shot selection.

But you will find in ODI's batsmen who are willing to play reverse sweeps, step away from the stumps and go thump, guiding the ball down to third man, stepping to the on side and trying to glance etc, etc - they are all highly risky shots. And sometimes they come off, and sometimes they don't. It's not about the bowler bowling jaffas, it's about them maintaining accuracy and hitting that length that causes doubt.

IMO, apart from Jaques and Hussey, the rest fell to good bowling - and a blinder of a catch. I don't think we can criticise Hogg for attempting to flick the ball to the fine leg boundary at the 49.3 over stage......

From what I saw, the pitch wasn't unplayable, but the ball was moving around a hell of a lot when we batted. They bowled a lot better than we did and that's the bottom line. To not make an impact with the ball is a bad sign. As I have said recently, McGrath has lost his zip, Watson continues to get smashed, and now without Lee, we have no "impact" bowler. Perhaps Tait has to step up to the blocks, and Johnson needs to mature overnight.

Our WC campaign is looking sick at the moment .
Agree and good bowling in ODI cricket is about applying pressure to the batsman and forcing them to do something different to create runs which of course creates more risk and more wickets from normal cricket balls.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that it just seemed that a lot of our guys went out playing shots that would have normally be played with success on a better cricket pitch, it's almost as if some of them thought that they are that good they can play late cuts or lofted drives without any danger of getting out.

The pitch was hardly unplayable and while the bowling was very very good I still reckon some of the guys just lacked the mental application to really dig in and build an innings on that sort of pitch.

I just feel that the argument that Australia's dismissals were because of a minefield comes across a bit thin when the other team comes out and makes 0/150 off 27 overs.

All of a sudden we've drifted from $1.50 to $2.75 for the World Cup and the Saffers have come in from $9 to $6.50.

Steve Waugh said that Australia also finds a way of peaking at the right moment and lifting it up when it's required, this is our biggest challenge yet. We've gone into the last couple of World Cups being red hot favourites and had to dig really deep to win some games, but we've never gone into a recent world cup or even a big tournament with such injury and form worries.

Our triple threat is looking less and less likely..
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

First time in 620+ ODI Australia has played that we have lost by 10 wickets!!!
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

ealesy wrote:First time in 620+ ODI Australia has played that we have lost by 10 wickets!!!
It had to happen eventually I guess!! :)
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Tassie 6/93 (effectively seven as Marsh is retired hurt) chasing 283.
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley