06/07 Cricket thread

Talk about cricket, soccer, tennis, rugby, whatever you like. Talk about it here!

Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Clark has to come back in. While his perfomrances have been ordinary in ODI. He is the only bowler in his prime, with enough experience.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Damn, we are stinking it up at the moment, certainly in the bowling department.

Great to see Hodge get another big score.

Pity that the one day domestic final is on Sunday. I rreally wanted to go but have this other thing on.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

http://www.theage.com.au/news/columns/a ... 85522.html

Some people on here may disagree with Roebuck, but I reckon he is right on the money with this article. Basically he's saying that you always send your strongest team on overseas tours (even short ones) so that means blokes like Ponting & Gilly should have gone. We had a finals spot stitched up in the Tri-Series from about half way through the comp & this is when we should have rested these 2 blokes & just brought them back for the finals. Blokes like Haddin & Hodge should have been given a better go of it in the more meaningless games of the Tri-Series (in years to come, no one will remember that we won 7 out of the 8 preliminary games).
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

CameronClayton wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/news/columns/a ... 85522.html

Some people on here may disagree with Roebuck, but I reckon he is right on the money with this article. Basically he's saying that you always send your strongest team on overseas tours (even short ones) so that means blokes like Ponting & Gilly should have gone. We had a finals spot stitched up in the Tri-Series from about half way through the comp & this is when we should have rested these 2 blokes & just brought them back for the finals. Blokes like Haddin & Hodge should have been given a better go of it in the more meaningless games of the Tri-Series (in years to come, no one will remember that we won 7 out of the 8 preliminary games).
It's a fair enough article, but Ponting is apparently injured (back problems), Gilly's wife just had a baby and he appears to me to be growing tired of the game (especially all the meaningless ODI crap), and Clarke is also battling some sort of hip injury. And of course Symonds and Lee are genuinely injured. So whilst Roebuck is right to suggest that you should always play your best team where possible, from what i know we actually are playing pretty much our best team in NZ at the moment, it's just that we're restricted by injury.
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

Ponting has had his back injury since the Tests (Gilly's excuse is fair enough, but still having a break during the nuff-nuff games couldn't have hurt him). Once we had won, say our 1st 4 games, we pretty well had a finals spot stitched up. This would have given Ponting a fortnight's spell before the finals, the same he is getting now. Plus if Gilly had had a bit of a break, Haddin wouldn't be coming in so cold as he is now - I'm sure Haddin wished he had at least a couple of games in Oz.

Hearing Hodge saying that an extended run in the ODI side has eased the pressure off him as it is when you are in-out-in-out all the time. I would have like to have seen Voges get a game once Roy got injured, but now we will never know how good or bad he is before the WC.
lozza89
Regular Senior Player

Post by lozza89 »

Well Voges is playing in today;s match in NZ. Jaques was dropped, and they bought Watson up to open. Did pretty well, made about 70. White has gone up to 6th and Voges come in 7th. Also no McGrath today, so Johnson is playing.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Looks as though Hayden is about to break M.Waugh's record of 173. He's currently 167* with 1.5 overs to go....
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Selfish innings by Hayden. If everyone had chosen to bat as slowly as he did, we would've only made 327. Pathetic.
:^o.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Well, Hayden has done it. Remained 181* after 50 overs. He is now the holder of both Test and ODI highest individual scores for Australia.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

That is a sensational batting card! Pity it means jack and shit.

Awesome innings from the big fella, we'll a few more like it if we are going to take home the Cup.

Nice to rebreak the record for the most runs in NZ!
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

We could still lose it.

They've knocked up 150 off 20 overs however are 5 down.

350 is about the equivilant of about 300 on any Australia ground, very very small ground with quick outfield.
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

We could still actually lose this.

5/194 the Kiwi's, need another 153 off 138, mind you their target is off 52 overs because we've already given them an extra 12 balls through wides and no balls!
Ramanama
Regular Senior Player

Post by Ramanama »

we just lost..... bloody hell. bowling attack it very poor.
V-BOMBERS:
Premiers of the BTCL OD 0'7. V-Bombers!!!
BomberTalk POTY - Ramanama
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Congratulations on losing 3 embarrassing games of cricket. How the f*** you cannot defend a) 337 AND b) 346 IS f****** BEYOND ME.
Ramanama
Regular Senior Player

Post by Ramanama »

BenDoolan wrote:Congratulations on losing 3 embarrassing games of cricket. How the f*** you cannot defend a) 337 AND b) 346 IS f****** BEYOND ME.
selectors should look at the bowling line up for the WC, watson.... crap! hogg... crap! johnson... is average.
V-BOMBERS:
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Ramanama wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:Congratulations on losing 3 embarrassing games of cricket. How the f*** you cannot defend a) 337 AND b) 346 IS f****** BEYOND ME.
selectors should look at the bowling line up for the WC, watson.... crap! hogg... crap! johnson... is average.
I agree, but Hogg was one of the most economical bowlers in the match!
Ramanama
Regular Senior Player

Post by Ramanama »

BenDoolan wrote:
Ramanama wrote:
I agree, but Hogg was one of the most economical bowlers in the match!
dont know how that happend :?
V-BOMBERS:
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Here you go, John Buchanan and co.:

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

That's right jimmy, that's the one they press after they've pressed this button 5 times in as many matches.....

Ramanama
Regular Senior Player

Post by Ramanama »

Good 1 boys, hhahahahhahah
V-BOMBERS: