06/07 Cricket thread

Talk about cricket, soccer, tennis, rugby, whatever you like. Talk about it here!

jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Ha! Nice Benny.

Don't stress, we'll rise up when the real stuff gets going. I guarantee it. Just so long as we don't lose any more players to injury and the selectors don't make unjustified selections (such as your old mate, Watto!), we're still the best team at the World Cup and i expect us to win it.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Are we the worst defending ODI side in the world? I'd love to see some stats on this.

It's lucky we have such a great batting line-up (please get up Haydos!) because when we score 400, the other teams are going to back themselves to the hilt to get it.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Sismis wrote:Are we the worst defending ODI side in the world? I'd love to see some stats on this.
Well, we have the bad record of the four highest run chases to win conceded, so I'll say yes:

Highest Successful Run Chases
9-438 S Af d Aus (4-434) with one ball to spare, Johannesburg, 2006
9-350 NZ d Aus (5-346) with three balls to spare, Hamilton, 2007
5-337 NZ d Aus (4-336) with eight balls to spare, Auckland, 2007
8-332 NZ d Aus (7-331) with six balls to spare, Christchurch, 2006

In the latest farce:
Obviously Bracken was great until the final over.
Tait went for 6rpo, which isn't great BUT considering NZ required almost 7rpo, I feel that he did his job OK, plus got a couple of early wickets.
Hogg was going for "only" 5.7rpo off his 7 overs, but again defending 346 this is excellent. So why the f*** did Voges bowl three overs!? He went for 11 rpo. I'd say this cost us the match (as well as Johnson's 8.1rpo and Watson's 8.8rpo). If Hogg had bowled out 10, NZ would have lost if his rpo had stayed below 10 for his final 3 overs! (assuming of course that Watson and Johnson didn't then go for even more.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

thats an alarming stat j-mac - its all very recent
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

A double blow for the Vics in the final guys...

1. No Hodge for Vics

2. No Watson for Qld

http://cricket.com.au/default.aspx?s=ne ... y&id=38983
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

Overall a good thing.

We lose 1, they lose 3.

It makes their bowling line up a lot weaker.
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

still good though, Kasper, Bichel, Noffke, Hopes
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

And we will have one VERY pissed off Cam White!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Buchanan has a growing list of annoyed cricket personalities....

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/austral ... 81198.html
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Yeah I am not a massive fan but build a bridge Jimmy... You can not blame anyone for this considering the injuries that we are copping ATM...

Imagine what everyone would be saying if Hodge did his knee in the game!!!

He should also be happy that Hodge is not playing because IMO he is more value than the two they are missing!!!!
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

Ok, so if Brett Lee doesn't play in the world cup what would people think about Shane Harwood or Jason Gillespie to come into the side instead of Stuart Clark?

Both have been in terrific form and are experienced "death bowlers".
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

rama_fan wrote:Ok, so if Brett Lee doesn't play in the world cup what would people think about Shane Harwood or Jason Gillespie to come into the side instead of Stuart Clark?

I've had trouble all summer understanding how Dizzy has not been mentioned as a replacement bowler for just about any of the injured quicks. As you say rama_fan, he is experienced bowling at the death and has bowled well all summer.

Maybe he slept with Buchanan's wife, daughter,mother [-X (or knocked back an advance from Buchanan himself :shock: )
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

2/26 off 10 in his most recent match!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

bomberdonnie wrote:Yeah I am not a massive fan but build a bridge Jimmy... You can not blame anyone for this considering the injuries that we are copping ATM...

Imagine what everyone would be saying if Hodge did his knee in the game!!!

He should also be happy that Hodge is not playing because IMO he is more value than the two they are missing!!!!
It was a bit over the top! Has no concept of the bigger picture and the decision is purely in the "national interest" rather than state glory. We are after all, talking about the preparation and defence of the World Cup!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

swoodley wrote:
rama_fan wrote:Ok, so if Brett Lee doesn't play in the world cup what would people think about Shane Harwood or Jason Gillespie to come into the side instead of Stuart Clark?

I've had trouble all summer understanding how Dizzy has not been mentioned as a replacement bowler for just about any of the injured quicks. As you say rama_fan, he is experienced bowling at the death and has bowled well all summer.

Maybe he slept with Buchanan's wife, daughter,mother [-X (or knocked back an advance from Buchanan himself :shock: )
Yep, bring him back! Very smart and experienced bowler. He only had ONE bad series, and he's paid a huge penalty for it. Other bowlers have multple poor series, but remain in the team. Go figure. He is still only 31 AND can move the ball off the deck.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

I wouldnt mind seeing Dizzy back, but he wont be back. First cab off the rank would be Clarke, but I wouldnt mind seeing Harwood or Hillfenwhatever get a gig. Both are very capable at the end, as is shaun tait.

I agree with Jimmy, not sure what Australias odds are at the moment but now would be the best time to get on them. I reckon we will win the cup also.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Agree that Dizzy or Hilfy deserve a chance....

We are paying 3.35 ATM on Betfair which is a huge price...

I also thin that the Windies are still a good price at 9.8 might take some of that for a trade later
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

A mate snaffled up the Saffers at $10 when initial markets came out.

I think they're in to about $6 now.
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

yeah i seen them at 10.5 when odds came out, cant remember where.
lozza89
Regular Senior Player

Post by lozza89 »

Yeah i wouldn't mind having Dizzy back in the team. Definately has the experience to bowl at the death, and really thats been our biggest problem over the past few years.

I think Maher has gone over the top with his comments about Buchanan, but i do agree with the statement he said about the double standards. But if we get another injury on top of Lee, Symonds, Clarke, Ponting, Hayden, we would be well and truely stuffed!