FIFA World Cup Thread

Talk about cricket, soccer, tennis, rugby, whatever you like. Talk about it here!

BERT
Champion of Essendon

Re: World Cup Qualification Thread

Post by BERT »

Start packing your bags for SA 2010. We are as good as there. With 3 more home games and only 2 away we should get the points we need.
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

Would take a monumental fuckup to miss out. Clear of Qatar by 5 points & they have only 4 matches left with 3 away games.
Still haven't conceded a goal. 8 more points would put us through regardless of other results.

An ordinary effort this morning. But we won. vingertje
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Thanks Royza for that info. I had visions of even further groups we'd need to get through. It's more straightforward than I thought.

Now if AND WHEN we do get through, we will no doubt be put into the obligatory "group of death" for SA ! :)
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

BAH! :evil:

In the ODD chance we SNAG the Hosting Rights for the WORLD CUP in 2030,we BETTER BLOODY NOT give up 6 weeks of our Season to give SOCCER a MASSIVE Free Kick.OUR JUNIOR Numbers will PLUMMET THROUGH THE FLOOR. :-& #-o NOOOOOOO! [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

We have Japan next in Japan, and it isn't a FIFA weekend so we wont have our star players with us, or if we do, they will be doing it on limited preparation like against Bahrain. If we can beat (and we should) Bahrain and Uhzbekistan in the return games here, it will be good enough.

And GRASSY, we get it, you HATE AUSTRALIAN soccer. IF you hate IT SO MUCH, then f*ck OFF OUT OF this THREAD!!!!!
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

NO!
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

Rossoneri wrote:We have Japan next in Japan, and it isn't a FIFA weekend so we wont have our star players with us, or if we do, they will be doing it on limited preparation
Bugger...really? Bit disappointing to hear, definitely going to the game.
Will go either way but I hope both teams field near full strength sides.
Feb 11th is a national holiday here....wonder if that has anything to do with playing the game on a non-FIFA weekend?
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Post by hillchaser »

Disapointing game last week. Thought we were out coached and Kennedy was getting mugged al game. Should have switched to a smaller line up earlier. Very ordinary would have been a perfect setup for Scotty Mac. We still need a sticker or attacking midfielder who can hold the ball up.
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Post by hillchaser »

Getting ready for Wednesday. A win here could seal it for us. I'm not confident about this one though. We will miss emo and kewell. We also miss Viduka.. Kennedy got pushed around badly in our last game.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Should be a good match. It's still a pretty strong Australian side without some big names. Japan have some dangerous players so the defenders will really have to be on their game. I think it'll be a draw.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

Going to the game :D
Will try to put a couple of photos up when I get back to Tokyo :D
Love to see a win but I think it will be a draw too.
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Post by hillchaser »

I hear the players are going to wear black armbands for the bushfire victims. I reakon this will bring out that Aussie spirit and we might sneak a win.

Hey I can't stop watching this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo4N-RfvCTw
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

A good result for the Socceroos 0-0.

I thought McDonald may have been given a shot. He is known for scoring goals in important games.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

robrulz5 wrote:A good result for the Socceroos 0-0.

I thought McDonald may have been given a shot. He is known for scoring goals in important games.
Has never scored a goal for his country. Not the time to risk him in was undoubtedly our most important match of the campaign.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Staggy wrote:
robrulz5 wrote:A good result for the Socceroos 0-0.

Has never scored a goal for his country. Not the time to risk him in was undoubtedly our most important match of the campaign.

He has scored on a much bigger stage in the Champions League.
He is never going to score for his country if he is left on the bench, If he wasn't going to be used they should have left him out of the squad so he could prepare for an even bigger game on Sunday.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

Just got home. Happy that we escaped with a point but a bit deflated to not see even one goal in my first trip to a soccer game.
Sat in the Aussie supporters area and had a lot of fun. Everyone made a lot of noise but we were completely drowned out by the Japanese fans. The guys beside me were from Adelaide....they were freezing....about 25 deg 24 hours before and then standing at the game in 3 or 4 degs.
Will get a couple of photos up later tonight.

Looking forward to the return game in June but unfortunately both sides will have qualified by then, so not likely to see much quality on the field.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I think alot of the big name players will play in the June game. The game is in their off season making it alot easier for them to be free, also it could decide which team finishes on top of the group.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

robrulz5 wrote:I think alot of the big name players will play in the June game. The game is in their off season making it alot easier for them to be free, also it could decide which team finishes on top of the group.
Hope you're right.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

BomberinJapan wrote:
robrulz5 wrote:I think alot of the big name players will play in the June game. The game is in their off season making it alot easier for them to be free, also it could decide which team finishes on top of the group.
Hope you're right.
Me too. I'd really like to see Nakamura play again.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

Some very late photos...been busy getting ready to come back to Aus!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1 ... =544884271

Nothing too amazing (except for the last one) but have a look if you're interested or got some time to kill.

Cheers.