Warne Quits

Talk about cricket, soccer, tennis, rugby, whatever you like. Talk about it here!

Madden
Club Captain

Warne Quits

Post by Madden »

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20957936-2,00.html
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2006/ ... 04407.html

If this is true, it is a major major blow. As well as a major shock. Who would have thought? I assumed he was going to play for at least another couple of years.

Unbelievable.

Farewell to the best cricketer that I have seen play.
Last edited by Madden on Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

f***, i thought my old man was bullshitting. The Hun article also reckons McGrath's considering retirement at the end of the series as well.

Definitely the best bowler i've even seen. Warney was the man who got me into watching cricket in the first place and had me bowling leg breaks in backyard cricket!
temporary stevo
On the Rookie List

Post by temporary stevo »

the source is from Ch9, so you'll have to forgive me for remaining sceptical.
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

if true, its been an honour watching Warne & McGrath
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

temporary stevo wrote:the source is from Ch9, so you'll have to forgive me for remaining sceptical.
On the flipside, i think C9 would have the inside running on stories like this, given their connections with cricket. Guys like Healy and Taylor who work on the C9 commentary team would find out this sort of thing before most, i'd imagine.
Dizzy_69
Regular Senior Player

Post by Dizzy_69 »

DYSON#2 wrote:if true, its been an honour watching Warne & McGrath
Your not wrong

Langer Haydan could also join the retirement group
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

:shock:

OK, I saw the McGrath one coming, but not Warney. Well I guess MacGill will be getting a good couple of years on the international stage then.

If true, then to the 2nd greatest Australian Test cricketer EVER, I salute you......

Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

i sure hope it's not true but when you hear people like Ian Healy and their coach saying "no comment" it's a little hard todeny the fact that something is about to happen....

well done boys you've done extremely well for Australia and everyone will miss you
lozza89
Regular Senior Player

Post by lozza89 »

Been an absolute privledge to have seen and watch him play. Justy a phenominal sportsman and he will be missed greatly from the game.
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

What a shock, I would have thought he could have played on longer. It was great watching him play.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

...And he still doesn't know!
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YDqn043XhQ8

Video which chronicles Warne's favorite 8 deliveries. A bit hacked and badly edited, its a bit stop start, but the balls are phenomenal.

I think my favorite would have to be the Chanderpaul delivery (spun amazingly far) or the Gibbs delivery in the World Cup - an absolute belter.

Definately the best cricketer and maybe the best sportsman i have ever seen play (i am 24 by the way).

Farewell to a genius - and pretty comfortably the second best cricketer of all time I reckon.
Last edited by Madden on Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnarchicBomber
Regular Senior Player

Post by AnarchicBomber »

I'm working at a book signing tomorrow for the great man wich was gunna be big anyway just three days out from Christmas, but now ... f***!
lozza89
Regular Senior Player

Post by lozza89 »

Staggy wrote:http://youtube.com/watch?v=YDqn043XhQ8

Video which chronicles Warne's favorite 8 deliveries. A bit hacked and badly edited, its a bit stop start, but the balls are phenomenal.

I think my favorite would have to be the Chanderpaul delivery (spun amazingly far) or the Gibbs delivery in the World Cup - an absolute belter.

Definately the best cricketer and maybe the best sportsman i have ever seen play (i am 24 by the way).

Farewell to a genius - and pretty comfortably the second best cricketer of all time I reckon.
Loved the Alex Stuart one between the legs, but i think he could add 1 more and make it Warnie's favourite 9 deliveries and chuck in Kevin Pietersen being bowled around his legs in Adelaide.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

:shock: Like a punch in the stomach.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

It had to happen at some stage. I thought he could keep going but is there anything else for him to achieve?
lozza89
Regular Senior Player

Post by lozza89 »

Like he said in his press conference, it will open the doors for many young spinners to step up and make the change to play for Australia.
Still a major shock to me, and it will leave a hole in Australian cricket, but he has done everything possible in world cricket. He has won every tournament there is and won every trophy there is. He has nothing left to do for the game of cricket.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket ... 195763.stm

Quotes from this BBC article:
The spinner said he would complete the final two years of contract with Hampshire in the County Championship.
Although he confirmed he would finish his contract with Hampshire, Warne said that he would cease playing for Victoria and club side St Kilda in Melbourne.
Am I the only one who feels a bit weird about this? Hardly seems fair that English crowds will get to seem him play for two more years more than Australian crowds.

Thoughts?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Staggy wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket ... 195763.stm

Quotes from this BBC article:
The spinner said he would complete the final two years of contract with Hampshire in the County Championship.
Although he confirmed he would finish his contract with Hampshire, Warne said that he would cease playing for Victoria and club side St Kilda in Melbourne.
Am I the only one who feels a bit weird about this? Hardly seems fair that English crowds will get to seem him play for two more years more than Australian crowds.

Thoughts?
I reckon that's where he'll settle. I always had the distinct feeling that he always wanted to live there.
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »