Ashes 2013/14

Talk about cricket, soccer, tennis, rugby, whatever you like. Talk about it here!

robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Re: Ashes 2013/14

Post by robrulz5 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:41 am

Three players debuting for England today. A guy from Zimbabwe, a Kiwi and an Irishman!

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:09 am

robrulz5 wrote:Three players debuting for England today. A guy from Zimbabwe, a Kiwi and an Irishman!
Sounds like one of those Irish jokes. What's the punch line?
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:47 am

England won the toss and have decided to bowl first.

Australia are 2/52. Rogers and Warner both out bowled.

robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:04 am

BenDoolan wrote:
robrulz5 wrote:Three players debuting for England today. A guy from Zimbabwe, a Kiwi and an Irishman!
Sounds like one of those Irish jokes. What's the punch line?

There isn't one. The joke all came about four nothing.

ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:42 am

What's the punch line?

Shane Watson!!!

Doesn't that little session before lunch just sum up this gigantic waste of talent and space's career to a tee

Cannot take any kind of pressure or responsibility.

We lose Clarke and are in a dangerous position of being 3/80 odd. What's happens next over gets an outside edge first ball, lucky Cook is a **** captain and doesn't have a third slip.

What happens next ball, arrogant tosser tries to dominate the bowler and top edges one just over the top of gully.

Final over before lunch, pads up, and survives a LBW shout, what happens next ball, misjudges the line and movement of the ball, plays around the ball and because the bowler has adjusted his line prefectly from the ball before, he's plumb LBW on the stroke of lunch.

Bloke is just a very dumb cricketer.

Only thing he did right was not waste a review and I assume that is only because Smith told him he was plumb and not to be a dickhead.

Work colleague said that seeing this match had no real bearing this was the sort of situation where Watson would likely ton up and ton up big. But the moment we lost Clarke I thought we would probably be lucky if Watson was still there at lunch time.

Dear Australia selectors, if you really want an all rounder in the team, please f*** off Shane Watson and play James Faulkner as a bowling all rounder instead. He will probably still do better with the bat than Watson.

Seriously this guy surely cannot continue to be selected for Test match cricket, he simply does not have the mental capacity to perform at the required level (batting wise) or the psychical capacity to perform (bowling wise).

robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:58 pm

Haddin gets another 50. He is only 60 runs behind Warner for the series.

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:03 pm

Unreal. Haddin has scored 50+ in the 1st innings of every test this summer. That is awesome batting at #7. What a series he's had. I think England have Haddinough....

j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:17 pm

ealesy wrote:What's the punch line?

Shane Watson!!!

Doesn't that little session before lunch just sum up this gigantic waste of talent and space's career to a tee

Cannot take any kind of pressure or responsibility.

We lose Clarke and are in a dangerous position of being 3/80 odd. What's happens next over gets an outside edge first ball, lucky Cook is a **** captain and doesn't have a third slip.

What happens next ball, arrogant tosser tries to dominate the bowler and top edges one just over the top of gully.

Final over before lunch, pads up, and survives a LBW shout, what happens next ball, misjudges the line and movement of the ball, plays around the ball and because the bowler has adjusted his line prefectly from the ball before, he's plumb LBW on the stroke of lunch.

Bloke is just a very dumb cricketer.

Only thing he did right was not waste a review and I assume that is only because Smith told him he was plumb and not to be a dickhead.

Work colleague said that seeing this match had no real bearing this was the sort of situation where Watson would likely ton up and ton up big. But the moment we lost Clarke I thought we would probably be lucky if Watson was still there at lunch time.

Dear Australia selectors, if you really want an all rounder in the team, please f*** off Shane Watson and play James Faulkner as a bowling all rounder instead. He will probably still do better with the bat than Watson.

Seriously this guy surely cannot continue to be selected for Test match cricket, he simply does not have the mental capacity to perform at the required level (batting wise) or the psychical capacity to perform (bowling wise).
All true, but he'll stay in the team. Also I didn't mind the one over gully. As Bill Lawry says "if you're gonna go, go hard."
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.

j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:18 pm

BenDoolan wrote:Unreal. Haddin has scored 50+ in the 1st innings of every test this summer. That is awesome batting at #7. What a series he's had. I think England have Haddinough....
Indeed. He has been awesome. He's easily the top scorer in first innings in this series.

j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:19 pm

Also well done to Smith for another century and Johnson for getting Carberry out before stumps.

j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:19 pm

And another failure for Bailey.

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:23 pm

j-mac31 wrote:And another failure for Bailey.
It must be said, they have to put Baileys on ice. It's much better that way....

In all seriousness, he had one shot at test cricket, and I think the door will be shut after this test. Has a big flaw outside off, and it won't be rectified before the South African tour. Shame, but I'm glad he had a go at test cricket. The interesting question is, who will be his replacement? The almighty Doolan?

Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:45 am

BenDoolan wrote:

In all seriousness, he had one shot at test cricket, and I think the door will be shut after this test. Has a big flaw outside off, and it won't be rectified before the South African tour. Shame, but I'm glad he had a go at test cricket. The interesting question is, who will be his replacement? The almighty Doolan?
Just to make you all happy, it will be a NSWelshman…I hear Binga is making a come back especially for you BD…bwahahaha :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:40 am

Crazyman wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

Just to make you all happy, it will be a NSWelshman…I hear Binga is making a come back especially for you BD…bwahahaha :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
You're probably right. Nic Maddinson.

Binga the Dinga is only good for knocking over 48 year old drop kicks while planting his foot 2 feet over the line :P

robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:44 am

Bailey had a chance to bat all day today and make a big score but what does he do? He skies one straight to a fielder.

If you were in his situation wouldmt you take your time, get a big score and give yourself a chance to be selected again?

tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:44 pm

That was great.
Well done every member if the side.
Suck on that England.

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:54 pm

Absolute smacking. Great effort from the same 11 in this series including Boof.

Everyone can hold their heads up high. Probably only 2 players delivered below average outputs - Watson and Bailey. But Bailey can be excused being his first stint at test match cricket.

Buck Rogers cashed in. He's been the most prolific batsmen across the two Ashes series. Warner was dynamite early in the series, and so was Clarke. Steve Smith stepped up to the plate later on, and Brad Haddin was simply outstanding with the bat and gloves all series.

The bowlers were sensational. Harris is a terrific competitor. Just bustles in and hits the deck hard. He's always at the batsmen, and that's why he takes a lot of wickets for f*** all runs. Mitchell Johnson, well........wow! He can be a devastating bowler on his day. And he had many of those days this series. I haven't seen this sort of assault by one of our fast bowlers in years. And I mean YEARS. His short balls are lethal. Can't remember when one bowler collected so many heads as he has. Lets hope he continues this dominance for a couple of more years.

Peter Siddle seems to be the forgotten man of the attack. But he plays his role well. Just nags away and applies pressure while the other two menaces have a rest. Siddle doesn't give the batsmen any relief either. He's always at them. He is bowling a tad slower than he normally would, but with better control. And Lyon is coming on in leaps and bounds. This attack has a perfect blend. The great news is, someone like James Pattinson (who is a f****** good bowler) can't get a look in at the moment.

Now, where the f****** hell is Pat Cummins??? If he is injured AGAIN, he should think about giving the game away. 3 f****** years of nothing.

Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:54 pm

robrulz5 wrote:Bailey had a chance to bat all day today and make a big score but what does he do? He skies one straight to a fielder.

If you were in his situation wouldmt you take your time, get a big score and give yourself a chance to be selected again?
Hindsight is wonderful. It seemed to me that Clarke basically get as many runs as possible as quickly as possible. I think it was a team innings and similar to when Watto got out after his ton. That said, he is probably the only one in the 11 this series that can be said to have completely failed...I don't think he deserves to visit the Saffers next month...

Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:32 pm

over 5 tests

Australia - 77/3199 (ave 41.54)

England - 100/2158 (ave 21.58) ( England's first ever Ashes series losing 100 wickets)

Australia wins by 23 wickets and 1041 runs

:-"
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals

BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:39 pm

Outstanding. Just outstanding.

The way we just crushed there windpipe when we had the chance was ruthless. Once we had a sniff we took it. In every test we were 5-100/150 in the 1st dig and the Poms couldn't take the chances. Once England were 5fa they were all out.

If at the start of the series you said that Trott, Prior and Swann wouldn't be playing in Melbourne or Sydney you would have been laughed at. By Perth the Poms were shot mentally. I wonder if Cook will ever be the same player he was. Australia have ruined captains careers before and he just looked like he wanted to be anywhere but on a cricket ground the last 2 tests.

Remember when England gave all the players who played in 2005 MBE's? I think we should be giving Boof a Knighthood. The way he has turned that dressing room around in such a short space of time is outstanding. The physio who got Harris up for 5 tests in a row shouldn't be far behind Boof either.

You could really feel the entire nation get behind the side as well. When we went through them in there 1st innings in Brisbane everyone was talking cricket again. People that I've known for a long time we interested in the game and asking for scores and they have never done that before.

Give 9 a tick as well. There coverage was outstanding. Would have liked more Bill and it wasn't the same without Richie but Vaughan, Bumble and JB were great additions to the commentary team. Healy and Slater have to improve.

I think it'll be a long time till we see someone intimidate a series like Mitch Johnson has done this one. He had all the batsmen on the back foot and he was very very sharp.

Well done Aussies. Still heaps of work to be done. Still got some rebuilding to do with Rogers, Haddin, Bailey, Watson and Harris not far away from either losing there place in the side due to form (Bailey) injury (Watson, Harris) or for age (Rogers, Haddin) but we have got the right people in charge.