Australian Tour to South Africa 2014

Talk about cricket, soccer, tennis, rugby, whatever you like. Talk about it here!

Post Reply
User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 24748
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Australian Tour to South Africa 2014

Post by BenDoolan » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:48 pm

Squad just announced, with only one surprise inclusion;

Michael Clarke (c)
Brad Haddin (vc)
Jackson Bird
Alex Doolan
James Faulkner
Ryan Harris
Mitchell Johnson
Shaun Marsh
Nathan Lyon
James Pattinson
Chris Rogers
Peter Siddle
Steven Smith
David Warner
Shane Watson

No surprise that Bailey has been left out. But why is Shaun Marsh in the squad? FMD, talk about a mediocre first class cricketer! The guys is a melon. Yeah, he looks good at OD cricket. So what! Since he was dumped from the Test side in January 2012, he has scored 675 first class runs at a whopping average of 25.00 FFS.

His test record has yielded 301 runs in 11 innings. His first two innings in test cricket were 141 & 81! So that leaves the other 79 runs scored in his next 9 digs. Crap!

His First Class record overall shows how mediocre he is. 154 innings and only 8 centuries. For a top order bat, that is rubbish. Average of 35. This season he has only scored 248 runs @31.00 - including only 1 fifty plus score (a century) in 9 digs.

This guy is blessed. They talked him up in the commentary last night with idiotic quotes like "he's such a good looking batsman". "He's only 30 years of age. Mike Hussey hadn't even played a test at that age". Yeah, good comparison Slater. Hussey had scored something like 15,000 first class runs with about 40 centuries by that stage :roll:

Unbelievable.

And what usually happens is that he snaps a hamstring every time he f****** sneezes!
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

Sismis
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 12844
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:16 am

Re: Australian Tour to South Africa 2014

Post by Sismis » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:50 pm

Bizzare selection. You'd think if we were going to roll the dice, give one of the younger guys a crack.....

User avatar
tonysoprano
Club Captain
Posts: 4426
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:31 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Australian Tour to South Africa 2014

Post by tonysoprano » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:30 pm

No argument from me Benny.
Marsh is a f****** dud. My only thought is that his old man has pulled strings and conned Inverarity (who is a dumb ass).
Far too many better batsmen with better overall and more recent records to think anything other than corruption.

User avatar
j-mac31
Essendon Legend
Posts: 15233
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:13 pm
Location: The city of brotherly love (Detroit)

Re: Australian Tour to South Africa 2014

Post by j-mac31 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:12 pm

Agree picking Marsh is odd.

Again, I thought after the Argus review we were supposed to pick the teams based on form. And look what happened when we picked Bailey despite few Shield runs.

Doolan's probably a bit lucky also, but at least he was great last summer.

Great that Pattinson's back.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.

User avatar
ealesy
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 5576
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:19 pm

Re: Australian Tour to South Africa 2014

Post by ealesy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:53 pm

Simple reason that Shaun Marsh was selected in the Test squad to tour South Africa and that is he is well and truly entrenched in the boy's club that runs Australian cricket.

Just listen to the way the Channel 9 commentary team talk him up everytime he's batting, in particular Mark Taylor, who just happens to be good mates and opener partner to Geoff Marsh, Shaun's Dad.

Another example is that brain dead idiot James Brayshaw pulling the lame arse excuse of "well that's the way he plays, you've got to take the good with the bad" every single time Davey Warner gets out playing a stupid idotic overly aggressive shot.

Blokes from outside that boys club either struggle to crack the side, or find themselves turfed out of the team very easily or in some circumstances both. (eg Stuart MacGill and Brad Hodge).

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 24748
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: Australian Tour to South Africa 2014

Post by BenDoolan » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:14 pm

ealesy wrote:Simple reason that Shaun Marsh was selected in the Test squad to tour South Africa and that is he is well and truly entrenched in the boy's club that runs Australian cricket.

Just listen to the way the Channel 9 commentary team talk him up everytime he's batting, in particular Mark Taylor, who just happens to be good mates and opener partner to Geoff Marsh, Shaun's Dad.

Another example is that brain dead idiot James Brayshaw pulling the lame arse excuse of "well that's the way he plays, you've got to take the good with the bad" every single time Davey Warner gets out playing a stupid idotic overly aggressive shot.

Blokes from outside that boys club either struggle to crack the side, or find themselves turfed out of the team very easily or in some circumstances both. (eg Stuart MacGill and Brad Hodge).
Haha, yeah, I found it laughable that JB lambasted Aaron Finch for getting out by hitting the ball in the air too often, but then makes that comment about Warner not that long after. Pickle.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

User avatar
j-mac31
Essendon Legend
Posts: 15233
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:13 pm
Location: The city of brotherly love (Detroit)

Re: Australian Tour to South Africa 2014

Post by j-mac31 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:39 pm

ealesy wrote:Simple reason that Shaun Marsh was selected in the Test squad to tour South Africa and that is he is well and truly entrenched in the boy's club that runs Australian cricket.
Lucky we had the Argus review.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.

User avatar
j-mac31
Essendon Legend
Posts: 15233
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:13 pm
Location: The city of brotherly love (Detroit)

Re: Australian Tour to South Africa 2014

Post by j-mac31 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:41 pm

They put the squad up on during the ODI on Friday and Nicholas pointed out that Marsh was very lucky to be in the squad. Taylor didn't address that at all but proceeded to tell us how Pattinson was also lucky to be in the squad because he's only played a few Tests and is mainly a short form bowler.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 24748
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: Australian Tour to South Africa 2014

Post by BenDoolan » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:05 pm

j-mac31 wrote:They put the squad up on during the ODI on Friday and Nicholas pointed out that Marsh was very lucky to be in the squad. Taylor didn't address that at all but proceeded to tell us how Pattinson was also lucky to be in the squad because he's only played a few Tests and is mainly a short form bowler.
Did he?

I have a lot of respect for Mark Taylor. He was a brilliant captain. A great tactician and thinker of the game. Was a solid batsman who produced a very decent record - which could have been a hell of a lot better if he didn't go through an 18 month trot.

But how he comes to that conclusion I have no idea. Perhaps he should look up Pattinson's test record. But maybe it's just a way to deflect the focus away from his mate's son....
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 24748
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: Australian Tour to South Africa 2014

Post by BenDoolan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:05 pm

"Concern over Marsh calf injury"

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

User avatar
boncer34
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 9087
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:14 pm

Re: Australian Tour to South Africa 2014

Post by boncer34 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:02 am

Faulkner out.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just better.

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 24748
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: Australian Tour to South Africa 2014

Post by BenDoolan » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:37 am

boncer34 wrote:Faulkner out.
Of South African tour?

f***!
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

User avatar
j-mac31
Essendon Legend
Posts: 15233
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:13 pm
Location: The city of brotherly love (Detroit)

Re: Australian Tour to South Africa 2014

Post by j-mac31 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:17 pm

BenDoolan wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:They put the squad up on during the ODI on Friday and Nicholas pointed out that Marsh was very lucky to be in the squad. Taylor didn't address that at all but proceeded to tell us how Pattinson was also lucky to be in the squad because he's only played a few Tests and is mainly a short form bowler.
Did he?

I have a lot of respect for Mark Taylor. He was a brilliant captain. A great tactician and thinker of the game. Was a solid batsman who produced a very decent record - which could have been a hell of a lot better if he didn't go through an 18 month trot.

But how he comes to that conclusion I have no idea. Perhaps he should look up Pattinson's test record. But maybe it's just a way to deflect the focus away from his mate's son....
I definitely took it as trying to deflect from Marsh. Pattinson was a first choice Test bowler until he got injured in England.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.

User avatar
j-mac31
Essendon Legend
Posts: 15233
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:13 pm
Location: The city of brotherly love (Detroit)

Re: Australian Tour to South Africa 2014

Post by j-mac31 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:19 pm

Faulkner out sucks, but Henriques is in and he was probably a bit unlucky to lose his spot after India.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.

User avatar
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 8575
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:25 pm
Location: Old Hobart Town

Re: Australian Tour to South Africa 2014

Post by bomberdonnie » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:18 pm

Is Pattinson a Victorian?

User avatar
j-mac31
Essendon Legend
Posts: 15233
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:13 pm
Location: The city of brotherly love (Detroit)

Re: Australian Tour to South Africa 2014

Post by j-mac31 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:56 pm

Heck yes.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.

Crazyman
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 6801
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:51 pm
Location: Sydney (Don't hold it against me)
Contact:

Re: Australian Tour to South Africa 2014

Post by Crazyman » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:51 pm

j-mac31 wrote:Heck yes.
bomberdonnie wrote:Is Pattinson a Victorian?
So how did he make the Aussie squad??? :lol: ](*,)

User avatar
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 8575
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:25 pm
Location: Old Hobart Town

Re: Australian Tour to South Africa 2014

Post by bomberdonnie » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:17 am

Crazyman wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:Heck yes.
bomberdonnie wrote:Is Pattinson a Victorian?
So how did he make the Aussie squad??? :lol: ](*,)
More like he is the only player who deserves to be picked.

Crazyman
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 6801
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:51 pm
Location: Sydney (Don't hold it against me)
Contact:

Re: Australian Tour to South Africa 2014

Post by Crazyman » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:37 pm

bomberdonnie wrote:
Crazyman wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:Heck yes.
bomberdonnie wrote:Is Pattinson a Victorian?
So how did he make the Aussie squad??? :lol: ](*,)
More like he is the only player who deserves to be picked.
Obviously my veiled reference to the fact he is not a NSWelshman was a little too vague… :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
j-mac31
Essendon Legend
Posts: 15233
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:13 pm
Location: The city of brotherly love (Detroit)

Re: Australian Tour to South Africa 2014

Post by j-mac31 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:24 pm

bomberdonnie wrote:
Crazyman wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:Heck yes.
bomberdonnie wrote:Is Pattinson a Victorian?
So how did he make the Aussie squad??? :lol: ](*,)
More like he is the only player who deserves to be picked.
Is that your point?
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.

Post Reply