Cricket on You Tube - Down Memory Lane

Talk about cricket, soccer, tennis, rugby, whatever you like. Talk about it here!

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Cricket on You Tube - Down Memory Lane

Post by BenDoolan » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:43 am

Just found this. Dunno how?? But an interesting snippet from the Windies tour here in 1975/76...some brilliant cricketers amongst that lot

Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:40 pm

Great get there,Ben.

Will have a better look later,as I’m just waking up,but seeing their arrival on a lousy Adelaide day,to be greeted by The Don,I found fascinating.

Noticed Clive(Lloyd),Lance Gibbs,Dereck Murray and Alvin Kallicharan in interviews.

I think I’d better watch this on a bigger screen,but what was the practice match they were playing,with none other than Dennis(Lillee)pounding down the wicket,sending bouncers over Helmetless batsman,possibly Alvin?

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:56 pm

What a pitch!

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:03 am

A most Appalling Wicket.

Abandoning that Test and sooner was the only right course of action.

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:21 am

Rodney Hogg spits the dummy...

2 match test series cluttered with controversies. This incident, along with Sarfraz Nawaz appealing for handled ball on Andrew Hilditch (who picked it up and gave it to him to save him from getting it himself), and Alan Hurst mankading Sikander Bahkt in the same test.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:29 am

Hoggy was doing a bit of Gardening and that sneaky prick Ahbroke Meandad,walked in and whipped the bails off.

After much confusion and a recall by the much more gracious Mushie(Mushtaq Muhammed),the Umpires said Hoggy was out and had to go,so he angrily smashed the stumps,getting roundly bagged by Keith Miller.

I went crook at Keith Miller on Channel 2(aged 11),because I thought Miandad was very underhanded in what he did and should have criticised for causing the scene in the first place,not just Hoggy!

We were on our way to a remarkable Victory in the 2nd Innings,before that f****** pitch was a f****** nightmare.And/or Safraz was with his reverse swing! :roll:

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:47 pm

A few different ditties of ‘Come on Aussie Come on’ by MoJo in the late 70’s / early 80’s

Footage of the Windies ‘Come on Aussie’ version...

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:36 pm

That’s brilliant mate,thanks for the memories.Always good to hear Richie of course.

Did you catch that show on Aunty a couple of months back,about the advertising Gurus responsible for those Tunes,amongst other Commercial Jingles like the soft drink,Tab?

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:10 pm

grassy1 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:36 pm
That’s brilliant mate,thanks for the memories.Always good to hear Richie of course.

Did you catch that show on Aunty a couple of months back,about the advertising Gurus responsible for those Tunes,amongst other Commercial Jingles like the soft drink,Tab?
Yes, that was bloody good. Good ol’ MoJo. Brilliant.

Meadowlea...you oughta be...congratulated!

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:16 pm

More MoJo magic...

1980/81

1979/80 World Series Cup

1980/81 Test Series v india

1980/81 Test Series v New Zealand

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:00 pm

Jesus,I can’t keep up! :lol:

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:51 am

We all know how this all ended...

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:25 am

World Series Cricket?

2 Years,though the ACB were probably bleeding after the 2nd season.Ocker writes for my local paper,The Post!

Hookesy?

Lost David Hookes(Rip)far too young,after an unnecessary incident in St Kilda.Unfortunately,only heard him occasionally in Wait Awhile,with his Career in Media,notably Radio 3AW.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:40 am

Speaking of Losing Cricketers to the pearly Gates,Bob Willis(Rip)left us too young at 70 this week.

A Hard Competitor,he was often a thorn in the side of Australia in The Ashes,particularly Headingly 1981,after Botham’s Whirlwind Innings,turned that Test around.

That Long,wild,up and down run up,made me shudder from the Loungeroom or Grandstands,especially when Rick McCosker misread a Bouncer of his.Bob was very Sporting,running to see if Rick was Ok straight away.Javed Miandad appreciated his Bowling,even if the copy fell a bit short,in Adelaide 1983.

A couple of things his mates might have roasted him on at tributes,would have been Doug Walters’ 6 off his bowling,at the WACA to post a Century in a Session on Stumps,the WACA in 1974.

The other was as Captain of England At Adelaide Oval,1982.Winning the Toss and sending us in to Bat on a Batsman’s Paradise.Thanks for the Leg up,Bob! :wink:

Didn’t see him enough in Commentary,but usually made good sense.A fan of Bob Dylan,in more ways than one.Will be missed!

Rest In Peace,Bob Willis.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:33 am

One thing also about Bob Willis that just sprung to mind.

Lord knows where my Cricket Flashback Cassette Tape ever went,but one thing I also remember about The Centenary Test,is a chant from a before it’s time Barmy Army,was a “Bob Willis”chant,when one Kerry O’Keefe was dismissed in the second innings.

Hope there’s an MCC Bar behind Ye Olde Pearly Gates,for you to share a jar with a few of ‘em,Bob!

Their Shout! :wink:

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:06 am

That test where he took 8/43 devastated me. I stayed up all night (as a kid) expecting to see Australia chase down the small total, only to witness an almighty choke. I think we needed 130 to win, and at one stage, we were 1/60 and got bowled out for 111.

I was a wreck at school the next day.

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:07 am

Interesting little interview during the ‘cricket war’...

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:28 am

I’d better check Cricinfo’s Archives to see what those Attendances were.Not just to the Pakistan Series,but The Ashes as well.Interestingly,Pakistan had a few WSC players in their side.Quite a few,such as Imran Khan,Safran Nawaz,Asia Iqbal and Zaheer Abbas.

Australia’s Establishment Team had no WSC players,as the WSC Team were either in The Caribbean,or preparing to go there.Australia drew both series 1 - 1 and both series were mired in Controversy.

Most interestingly that Summer,Perth had 2 Tests.An absolute rarity.If it happened again,I’d be surprised.