Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Talk about cricket, soccer, tennis, rugby, whatever you like. Talk about it here!

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 23819
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by BenDoolan » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:34 pm

1st Test;

ENG 302 (J. Vince 83, D. Malan 56, M. Stoneman 53, M. Starc 3-77, P. Cummins 3-85), N. Lyon 2-78) & 2-33 (J. Hazlewood 2-11) v AUS 328 (S. Smith 141*, S. Marsh 51, P. Cummins 42, S. Broad 3-49, J. Anderson 2-50, M. Ali 2-74)
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

User avatar
boncer34
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 8777
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:14 pm

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by boncer34 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:26 pm

That is a great stumping.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just better.

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 23819
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by BenDoolan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:25 pm

boncer34 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:26 pm
That is a great stumping.
Did he do what a keeper is supposed to do? Amazing!
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 23819
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by BenDoolan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:31 pm

1st Test;

ENG 302 (J. Vince 83, D. Malan 56, M. Stoneman 53, M. Starc 3-77, P. Cummins 3-85), N. Lyon 2-78) & 195 (J. Root 51, J. Bairstow 42, M. Ali 40, J. Hazlewood 3-46, M. Starc 3-51, N. Lyon 3-67) defeated by AUS 328 (S. Smith 141*, S. Marsh 51, P. Cummins 42, S. Broad 3-49, J. Anderson 2-50, M. Ali 2-74) & 0/173 (D. Warner 87*, C. Bancroft 82*)
Last edited by BenDoolan on Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

User avatar
boncer34
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 8777
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:14 pm

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by boncer34 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:35 pm

BenDoolan wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:25 pm
boncer34 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:26 pm
That is a great stumping.
Did he do what a keeper is supposed to do? Amazing!
Haha Benny I can admit when he drops the sodas, surely you can admit when he does something well

That wasn't a regulation batsman half way down the pitch stumping. It was something out of almost nothing.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just better.

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 23819
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by BenDoolan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:52 pm

boncer34 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:35 pm
BenDoolan wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:25 pm
boncer34 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:26 pm
That is a great stumping.
Did he do what a keeper is supposed to do? Amazing!
Haha Benny I can admit when he drops the sodas, surely you can admit when he does something well

That wasn't a regulation batsman half way down the pitch stumping. It was something out of almost nothing.
Pretty regulation stuff. Good on him though.

I've seen many stunning stumpings in my time. I generally get excited when a keeper is up to the stumps for a fast / medium bowler and they take a ball down the leg side and take the bails off in a nano-second to execute a stumping. Something like this...

Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

User avatar
boncer34
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 8777
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:14 pm

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by boncer34 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:31 pm

Lol that wasn't regulation at all.

And throwing up a video of a stumping that was amazing doesn't downgrade the one today.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just better.

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 23819
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by BenDoolan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:48 pm

boncer34 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:31 pm
Lol that wasn't regulation at all.

And throwing up a video of a stumping that was amazing doesn't downgrade the one today.
What next Bonce, telling everyone what a great cover drive Marsh hit from a half volley?
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

User avatar
tonysoprano
Club Captain
Posts: 4332
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:31 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by tonysoprano » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:08 pm

boncer34 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:31 pm
Lol that wasn't regulation at all.

And throwing up a video of a stumping that was amazing doesn't downgrade the one today.
He had a lot of help from Moeen. What a slack bit of batting.

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 23819
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by BenDoolan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:15 pm

tonysoprano wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:08 pm
boncer34 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:31 pm
Lol that wasn't regulation at all.

And throwing up a video of a stumping that was amazing doesn't downgrade the one today.
He had a lot of help from Moeen. What a slack bit of batting.
Exactly. Nothing special about the stumping. The fact that Ali just didn’t get any part of his foot behind the ridiculously painted line made it “great”.

The ball spun past the outside edge of the bat to the waiting gloves of a keeper. Regulation stuff.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

User avatar
boncer34
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 8777
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:14 pm

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by boncer34 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:33 am

tonysoprano wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:08 pm
boncer34 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:31 pm
Lol that wasn't regulation at all.

And throwing up a video of a stumping that was amazing doesn't downgrade the one today.
He had a lot of help from Moeen. What a slack bit of batting.
Well yeah but unless its a peach of a ball very few dismissals have nothing to do with the batsman. Ali was never more then half a dozen millimeter out of his crease, the quick reactions to hit that stumping are impressive.

But meh Paines shit, Marsh never had a good innings and Brett Lee never bowled a good ball. I'll go back to standard BT stuff to keep the natives happy.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just better.

User avatar
Gimps
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 7680
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: Bumfuck Idaho

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by Gimps » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:15 am

In comparison to what we’ve seen over the last few years with Wade, it was a great stumping. Paine deserves some credit for it.

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 23819
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by BenDoolan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:22 am

Gimps wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:15 am
In comparison to what we’ve seen over the last few years with Wade, it was a great stumping. Paine deserves some credit for it.
You must have missed this is Wade’s last Test...

https://www.cricket.com.au/video/matthe ... 2017-09-04

Not that I’m defending Wade, but FMD, when a keeper gathers an easy ball and takes off the bails, it ain’t the most extraordinary thing in the world.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 23819
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by BenDoolan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:26 am

boncer34 wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:33 am
tonysoprano wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:08 pm
boncer34 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:31 pm
Lol that wasn't regulation at all.

And throwing up a video of a stumping that was amazing doesn't downgrade the one today.
He had a lot of help from Moeen. What a slack bit of batting.
But meh Paines shit, Marsh never had a good innings and Brett Lee never bowled a good ball. I'll go back to standard BT stuff to keep the natives happy.
You’re learning.

Brett Lee. LOL. Garbage truck of the highest order.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

User avatar
tonysoprano
Club Captain
Posts: 4332
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:31 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by tonysoprano » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:18 am

I don't think anyone thinks Paine is shit.

The questions are about how selectors come to their decisions.

There isn't a lot between any of the top keepers, and batting wise Nevill's record is probably better than other contenders.

Anyway, Paine's kept ok from what I've seen, even allowing for the missed catch in the first innings.

The stumping was good, but when a batsman doesn't seem to even look to stretch back into his crease - then you've got time you normally wouldn't have.

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 23819
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by BenDoolan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:17 pm

2nd Test (D/N);

AUS 4/209 (U. Khawaja 53, D. Warner 47, S. Smith 40) v ENG
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

User avatar
rockhole
Club Captain
Posts: 4689
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:31 am
Location: La Grange

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by rockhole » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:19 pm

tonysoprano wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:18 am
I don't think anyone thinks Paine is shit.

The questions are about how selectors come to their decisions.

There isn't a lot between any of the top keepers, and batting wise Nevill's record is probably better than other contenders.

Anyway, Paine's kept ok from what I've seen, even allowing for the missed catch in the first innings.

The stumping was good, but when a batsman doesn't seem to even look to stretch back into his crease - then you've got time you normally wouldn't have.
.......and to think we were using the criteria of how much "chirp" the 'keeper could provide from behind the stumps as a means of selection.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark

User avatar
boncer34
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 8777
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:14 pm

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by boncer34 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:44 pm

Credit where it's due. Great knock by Smarsh.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just better.

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 23819
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by BenDoolan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:27 pm

boncer34 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:44 pm
Credit where it's due. Great knock by Smarsh.
Yep. Can’t deny that.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 23819
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by BenDoolan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:07 pm

2nd Test (D/N);

AUS 8/442 dec (S. Marsh 126*, T. Paine 57, U. Khawaja 53, D. Warner 47, P. Cummins 44, S. Smith 40, C. Overton 3-105, S. Broad 2-72) & 138 (J. Anderson 5-43, C. Woakes 4-36) defeated ENG 227 (C. Overton 41*, N. Lyon 4-60, M. Starc 3-49, P. Cummins 2-47) & 233 (J. Root 67, M. Starc 5-88, N. Lyon 2-45, J. Hazlewood 2-49)

Why the f*** wouldn’t you enforce the follow on when you have just entered the evening session? What a dumbass decision to bat again ffs. Pink ball, night time humidity, and you don’t ask them to bat again? FMD.

That could well have been the Poms score at stumps tonight. Game over tomorrow. But noooooooooo...

Edit: Smith has followed up today with more shite. Wasted our reviews, and dropped a catch. Doing everything to destroy the advantage we had in this game.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests