Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Talk about cricket, soccer, tennis, rugby, whatever you like. Talk about it here!

User avatar
rockhole
Club Captain
Posts: 4765
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:31 am
Location: La Grange

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by rockhole » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:14 pm

To paraphrase a famous saying.....

"Smith bats on and on and on and on..........!!!"

I thought that Greg Chapell was the best batsman I had actually seen, and you could argue he has better technique, but Smithy is simply amazing and I hope to see a bit of him (or a lot) tomorrow.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark

Crazyman
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 6782
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:51 pm
Location: Sydney (Don't hold it against me)
Contact:

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by Crazyman » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:45 pm

rockhole wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:14 pm
To paraphrase a famous saying.....

"Smith bats on and on and on and on..........!!!"

I thought that Greg Chapell was the best batsman I had actually seen, and you could argue he has better technique, but Smithy is simply amazing and I hope to see a bit of him (or a lot) tomorrow.
Everyone who has been a top 6 bat for any country has better technique than Smith but FMD none are nearly as consistent, dominant or less like looking getting out including Lara, Tendulkar, Hayden, Iceman, Sir Viv.

I didn’t get to the likes of Sobers or Pollock so maybe someone else can speak for them...

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 24684
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by BenDoolan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:19 am

Crazyman wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:45 pm
rockhole wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:14 pm
To paraphrase a famous saying.....

"Smith bats on and on and on and on..........!!!"

I thought that Greg Chapell was the best batsman I had actually seen, and you could argue he has better technique, but Smithy is simply amazing and I hope to see a bit of him (or a lot) tomorrow.
Everyone who has been a top 6 bat for any country has better technique than Smith but FMD none are nearly as consistent, dominant or less like looking getting out including Lara, Tendulkar, Hayden, Iceman, Sir Viv.

I didn’t get to the likes of Sobers or Pollock so maybe someone else can speak for them...
Smith is a freak. The ugliest technique I’ve ever seen. But when you dominate like he does, who gives a shit what it looks like!

I’ve closely watched cricket sine the height of the World Series Cricket revolution. Unfortunately, South Africa was banned from the game during that period so I didn’t get to see the likes of Barry Richards and Graeme Pollock at their peak (although Richards did take part in WSC and had some glorious knocks).

I did see Pollock bat in some charity match where he belted a hundred at the age of 50+. If his glorious cover drives that day were any indication of his stroke play in his prime, then he would have been an absolute batting maestro.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

grassy1
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 7295
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:48 pm

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by grassy1 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:48 am

Some pretty careless efforts with the Bat today,including Smith.Comparisons with the World's best,past and present are way too early in my book

8/326 at Lunch.

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 24684
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by BenDoolan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:06 am

4th Test (Boxing Day),

AUS 327 (D. Warner 103, S. Smith 76, S. Marsh 61, S. Broad 4-51, J. Anderson 3-61, C. Woakes 2-72) v ENG 2/192 (A. Cook 104*, J. Root 49*)

What a shitfull day from the Australians
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

User avatar
boncer34
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 9059
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:14 pm

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by boncer34 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:55 pm

Must admit I like the way Cook celebrated his milestones with a dignified bat raise with the helmet off. Compare that to the chest thumping, running leaps and over the top theatrical bullshit from our lads it was a stark contrast.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just better.

User avatar
hop
Club Captain
Posts: 3683
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:41 am
Location: Napier Street

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by hop » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:58 pm

Spent the entire day at the 'G' today repeating the same refrain..........bowl at the stumps.....bowl at the stumps....bowl at the stumps.....

Jackson Bird is as good a replacement for Mitchell Starc as the 6'5" unemployed Chiropractor was for Boris Karloff in 'Plan 9 From Outer Space'.

To let Broad and Cook get a 100 run partnership was almost criminal.

This Test is GONE!!!!!!
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 7295
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:48 pm

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by grassy1 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:07 pm

boncer34 wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:55 pm
Must admit I like the way Cook celebrated his milestones with a dignified bat raise with the helmet off. Compare that to the chest thumping, running leaps and over the top theatrical bullshit from our lads it was a stark contrast.
Pretty much spot on there Bonce.After hearing about Warner's carry on,I wish he did get knocked off for 99.Mouthy Prick!

grassy1
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 7295
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:48 pm

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by grassy1 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:14 pm

hop wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:58 pm
Spent the entire day at the 'G' today repeating the same refrain..........bowl at the stumps.....bowl at the stumps....bowl at the stumps.....

Jackson Bird is as good a replacement for Mitchell Starc as the 6'5" unemployed Chiropractor was for Boris Karloff in 'Plan 9 From Outer Space'.

To let Broad and Cook get a 100 run partnership was almost criminal.

This Test is GONE!!!!!!
Watching them gift Broad his Half Century beggard belief.Anyone bother ripping one into the block hole,let alone think about it?!

Jeez,we could have done with Big Bird Joel Garner for a couple of overs to Shatter the Stumps!No way he would have f***** about with any pesky tail endears,except maybe Terry Alderman once or twice.

User avatar
tonysoprano
Club Captain
Posts: 4426
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:31 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by tonysoprano » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:46 am

I'm not an authority by any stretch, but after playing and watching cricket for many years, the only difference between test bowlers and club bowlers is speed.

Very few (pace) bowlers since McGrath deliver more than a couple of good balls in a row. I think there's a major lack of patience.

One other thing, Englands use or not of DRS is laughable. Not in Shane Watson's league but trying hard to get there.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 7295
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:48 pm

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by grassy1 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:23 am

Rain,rain,come again!

We don't deserve such an easy eascape and I would to see a much better effort with bat on the last day.

Don't know what Lehman's on about,letting our bowlers off the hook,defending them to the hilt.They generały bowled SHIT,Boof!

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 24684
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by BenDoolan » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:41 am

4th Test (Boxing Day),

AUS 327 (D. Warner 103, S. Smith 76, S. Marsh 61, S. Broad 4-51, J. Anderson 3-61, C. Woakes 2-72) & 4/263 (S. Smith 102*, D. Warner 86) drew with ENG 491(A. Cook 244*, J. Root 61, S. Broad 56, P. Cummins 4-117, J. Hazlewood 3-95, N. Lyon 3-109)

Ashton Agar in for the Sydney Test. What about Jon Holland FFS.

Bird to get the flick IMO. Bancroft and Khawaja in the gun too.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

User avatar
hop
Club Captain
Posts: 3683
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:41 am
Location: Napier Street

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by hop » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:38 pm

BenDoolan wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:41 am
4th Test (Boxing Day),

AUS 327 (D. Warner 103, S. Smith 76, S. Marsh 61, S. Broad 4-51, J. Anderson 3-61, C. Woakes 2-72) & 4/263 (S. Smith 102*, D. Warner 86) drew with ENG 491(A. Cook 244*, J. Root 61, S. Broad 56, P. Cummins 4-117, J. Hazlewood 3-95, N. Lyon 3-109)

Ashton Agar in for the Sydney Test. What about Jon Holland FFS.

Bird to get the flick IMO. Bancroft and Khawaja in the gun too.
No Way Holland gets a look in.

He only plays for the team that's won the last three Sheffield Shields.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.

User avatar
tonysoprano
Club Captain
Posts: 4426
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:31 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by tonysoprano » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:12 pm

Once again, legit questions about how selectors make final call. Surely they didn't pick agar ahead of holland because he's younger and better bat? The priority is who is the better spinner, surely?

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 24684
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by BenDoolan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:29 pm

hop wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:38 pm
BenDoolan wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:41 am
4th Test (Boxing Day),

AUS 327 (D. Warner 103, S. Smith 76, S. Marsh 61, S. Broad 4-51, J. Anderson 3-61, C. Woakes 2-72) & 4/263 (S. Smith 102*, D. Warner 86) drew with ENG 491(A. Cook 244*, J. Root 61, S. Broad 56, P. Cummins 4-117, J. Hazlewood 3-95, N. Lyon 3-109)

Ashton Agar in for the Sydney Test. What about Jon Holland FFS.

Bird to get the flick IMO. Bancroft and Khawaja in the gun too.
No Way Holland gets a look in.

He only plays for the team that's won the last three Sheffield Shields.
Indeed.

And he’s probably had a significant contribution in all 3 Finals.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 24684
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by BenDoolan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:36 pm

tonysoprano wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:12 pm
Once again, legit questions about how selectors make final call. Surely they didn't pick agar ahead of holland because he's younger and better bat? The priority is who is the better spinner, surely?
If I’m not mistaken, Agar has averaged 40 with the ball in the past 2 Shield seasons compared to 20 from Holland. These c**** are taking the piss when they say they reward form.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

grassy1
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 7295
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:48 pm

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by grassy1 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:45 am

On a differed note,who should Really cop the blame for the so called poor MCG pitch?

The Curator or Cricket Australia?

Lehman and Smith did a bit too much Whinging about it if you ask me,when it was poor cricket from us,that put us on the back foot in The Boxing Day Test.

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 24684
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by BenDoolan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:58 am

grassy1 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:45 am
On a differed note,who should Really cop the blame for the so called poor MCG pitch?

The Curator or Cricket Australia?

Lehman and Smith did a bit too much Whinging about it if you ask me,when it was poor cricket from us,that put us on the back foot in The Boxing Day Test.
I hate wickets that give zero assistance to bowlers. May as well play on a runway. Geoff Boycott described it perfectly - “it’s a pancake”

Blame the curators. Shitfull.

But if the ICC are fairdinkum in branding the wicket as “poor”, then I’d like to know how they rate a lot of sub-continent wickets that produce bullshit Test scores of 3/750 declared or somesuch...
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

grassy1
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 7295
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:48 pm

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by grassy1 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:19 am

Do you think the MCG Curator was operating under any instruction from Cricket Australia,Ben?

User avatar
tonysoprano
Club Captain
Posts: 4426
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:31 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Ashes Cricket 2017/18

Post by tonysoprano » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:48 am

It may have been because it was v Zimbabwe, or perhaps because it was a day night test (or both factors) - but I believe there was an inaugural 4 day test match Saffers v Zimb? Sadly I think it finished well inside that time.

But I'm with many of you, the pitch has to give bowlers a chance. Placid feather beds kill the game. I'd prefer grassy seamer on days 1 and 2, drying and turning on days 4 and 5.

Of course, I'm not an agricultural scientist, horticulturalist or curator, so I'm probably asking the impossible.

Post Reply