SACK SMITH

Talk about cricket, soccer, tennis, rugby, whatever you like. Talk about it here!

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: SACK SMITH

Post by BenDoolan »

BERT wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:10 pm I’d have a serious look at Dizzy Gillespie especially with the ashes in England next year. Has coached in England for a while and knows the conditions.

I think the 12month ban for Smith is excessive. He should be able to play this Australian summer especially if he had limited knowledge of it.

I’ve played park cricket for 30years and I’ve never known anyone to take sandpaper onto the field. It’s just bizarre.

I hope Warner never plays for Australia again.
Forgot about Dizzy. Good suggestion.

I played from 1980/81 - 2001/2002 through juniors to seniors. Have to admit, I was exposed to doctoring the ball in the u/14’s when our captain used Mr Sheen to polish one side of the ball. It swung like a banana. Vaseline was also used on occasions. It was rumoured to be happening throughout the ranks - particularly if we held the match ball going into the following week.

Never heard of roughing up the ball (using sandpaper etc) in my time. We used the be yelled at if we didn’t throw the ball to the keeper on the full - to preserve the shine. Nowadays, they deliberately bounce the ball into the keeper to scuff up one side (not sure how they can consistently hit one side of the ball though).

It’s a different world since I played. “Reverse” swing was discovered as “a thing” and then players did everything they could to hurry up the process for it to occur. What I don’t understand to this day is...my time of bowling in juniors and taking plenty wickets as a medium swing bowler, was that swing would go in the direction of the shiny side. It always did for me from ball one. The same as it does when you tape up half a tennis ball. So if conventional swing is the ball swinging in the direction of the rough side, then I was always a reverse swing bowler and never knew it. It’s got me f*****. Mind you, I was bowling with a 2 piece leather case ball as opposed to the 4 piece balls.
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Wonder if anyone ever put Snot on the Ball,as suggested in Major League,albeit by a fictional character.

Anything to get the ‘ole Curveball to drop 2 or 3 inches more. 8)
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

BenDoolan wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:38 pm
BERT wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:10 pm I’d have a serious look at Dizzy Gillespie especially with the ashes in England next year. Has coached in England for a while and knows the conditions.

I think the 12month ban for Smith is excessive. He should be able to play this Australian summer especially if he had limited knowledge of it.

I’ve played park cricket for 30years and I’ve never known anyone to take sandpaper onto the field. It’s just bizarre.

I hope Warner never plays for Australia again.
Forgot about Dizzy. Good suggestion.

I played from 1980/81 - 2001/2002 through juniors to seniors. Have to admit, I was exposed to doctoring the ball in the u/14’s when our captain used Mr Sheen to polish one side of the ball. It swung like a banana. Vaseline was also used on occasions. It was rumoured to be happening throughout the ranks - particularly if we held the match ball going into the following week.

Never heard of roughing up the ball (using sandpaper etc) in my time. We used the be yelled at if we didn’t throw the ball to the keeper on the full - to preserve the shine. Nowadays, they deliberately bounce the ball into the keeper to scuff up one side (not sure how they can consistently hit one side of the ball though).

It’s a different world since I played. “Reverse” swing was discovered as “a thing” and then players did everything they could to hurry up the process for it to occur. What I don’t understand to this day is...my time of bowling in juniors and taking plenty wickets as a medium swing bowler, was that swing would go in the direction of the shiny side. It always did for me from ball one. The same as it does when you tape up half a tennis ball. So if conventional swing is the ball swinging in the direction of the rough side, then I was always a reverse swing bowler and never knew it. It’s got me f*****. Mind you, I was bowling with a 2 piece leather case ball as opposed to the 4 piece balls.
Back in my day, it was simply either an in-swinger or an out-swinger. Take your pick which one is the reverse I guess :)
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Compare all this to the petulant Sri Lankan c****...
Chandimal possibly benefited from the timing of his incident, given the ICC has vowed to crack down on ball tampering with tougher penalties.

While he received the same ICC ban as Steve Smith, his punishment pales in comparison to those of Smith (one year), David Warner (one year) and Cameron Bancroft (nine months), who were penalised further by Cricket Australia.

The Sri Lankan cricket board won’t be punishing Chandimal further, having sent out a statement defending its players over the “unwarranted allegation”.
Annnnndddd...
There were concerns that the Test match was in jeopardy on the third morning on Saturday when Chandimal refused to lead his team onto the field for the continuation of the Windies first innings after he was informed of the charge by the umpires and the application of a five-run penalty.

Play was delayed for two hours as animated discussions took place involving Srinath and Sri Lankan team officials.
I say ban the entire nation. These mofos will probably demand the laws be changed to legalise their illegalities (similar to Murali).

I take back my strong stance against Smith, Warner and Bancroft. I want them all to receive Pride of Australia medals. f*** the rest of the world.
Essendunny