SACK SMITH

Talk about cricket, soccer, tennis, rugby, whatever you like. Talk about it here!

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 24114
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: SACK SMITH

Post by BenDoolan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:20 am

Anyone know the captain of the Titanic?
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

User avatar
hop
Club Captain
Posts: 3553
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:41 am
Location: Napier Street

Re: SACK SMITH

Post by hop » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:39 am

BenDoolan wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:20 am
Anyone know the captain of the Titanic?
LOL - That was Smith too.

The NSW media Mafia are circling the wagons and promoting the idea that Clark returns as National Captain. The Bobby Simpson option..... WTF!!!!!

These flogs just can't seem to countenance an Australian Team that's not captained and dominated by their players.

Perhaps this has been part of the problem? The arrogance and self-anointed supremacy and win-at-any-costs attitude of the Australian team which has lost many cricketing supporters here and overseas since the days of Stephen Waugh.

Smith and Warner will and should find it very difficult to come back from this.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 24114
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: SACK SMITH

Post by BenDoolan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:52 am

Saw a pretty funny exchange yesterday...

“Can we just say that Australia are...morally Bancroft”
“They didn’t see that Cummins, and they’re in a world of Paine now”
“It’s in Starc contrast to the spirit of the game”
“You guys are such word Smiths”
“Sons of Mitches the lot of em”

8)
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

grassy1
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 6779
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:48 pm

Re: SACK SMITH

Post by grassy1 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:36 pm

Call me a cynic,but why do I think CERTAIN elements of The WESSSTTERRN AUSTRALIAN 7WestMedia are angling to shift blame away from newbie Cam Bancroft?

Just because Hoggy(or George as they all lurvingly know him as :roll: ) said so,does not mean Bancroft is blameless in all this!

Whether he volunteered or was told,he was old enough to know better and say NO,Hoggy!

End of Story,Pal! :evil:

User avatar
tonysoprano
Club Captain
Posts: 4382
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:31 pm
Location: Perth

Re: SACK SMITH

Post by tonysoprano » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:10 pm

Bancroft is a grown man, and has to take responsibility. But I think Smith and perhaps Warner are more culpable, given their positions, experience, and what sounds like the initial discussion to do this.

Its hard to understand how such deliberate actions can only lead to one match ban (and /or fines) though. Maybe scratching the ball isn't that big a deal after all? Maybe its just the affront to basic decency?

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 24114
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: SACK SMITH

Post by BenDoolan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:28 pm

Just can’t believe a guy who is at the beginning of a test career would involve himself in such shit. First the headbutt with Jon Bairstow (maybe a nothing incident). This pathetic tape saga. Stomping on the ball. Now the sugar shit. Was he instructed to do all this crap???
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

Crazyman
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 6570
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:51 pm
Location: Sydney (Don't hold it against me)
Contact:

Re: SACK SMITH

Post by Crazyman » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:29 pm

BenDoolan wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:20 am
Crazyman wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:08 am
1 match from the ICC :roll:
Like others hope CA are not so lenient.

That said, like any other person caught cheating (drugs, match fixing, etc...), they should do thier penance, whatever is decided, and be allowed to move on.

Warnie got done for using a diuretic and spent 12 months out of the game, others have been done for other things and been allowed back.

To most the baggy green is ‘sacred’ but let’s take a step back and put it perspective.

Everyone deserves a second chance no matter how raw the emotions are at the time and in the immediacy after the event.
He can play. But he must never captain again.
No argument from me

User avatar
tonysoprano
Club Captain
Posts: 4382
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:31 pm
Location: Perth

Re: SACK SMITH

Post by tonysoprano » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:46 pm

I agree. Serve the ban. Never captain again. But earns place as batsman.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 6779
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:48 pm

Re: SACK SMITH

Post by grassy1 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:23 pm

tonysoprano wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:10 pm
Bancroft is a grown man, and has to take responsibility. But I think Smith and perhaps Warner are more culpable, given their positions, experience, and what sounds like the initial discussion to do this.

Its hard to understand how such deliberate actions can only lead to one match ban (and /or fines) though. Maybe scratching the ball isn't that big a deal after all? Maybe its just the affront to basic decency?
Agreed Tony.

Just curious about your latest opinion on the marvellous media here in WA? :roll:

User avatar
tonysoprano
Club Captain
Posts: 4382
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:31 pm
Location: Perth

Re: SACK SMITH

Post by tonysoprano » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:22 pm

grassy1 wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:23 pm
tonysoprano wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:10 pm
Bancroft is a grown man, and has to take responsibility. But I think Smith and perhaps Warner are more culpable, given their positions, experience, and what sounds like the initial discussion to do this.

Its hard to understand how such deliberate actions can only lead to one match ban (and /or fines) though. Maybe scratching the ball isn't that big a deal after all? Maybe its just the affront to basic decency?
Agreed Tony.

Just curious about your latest opinion on the marvellous media here in WA? :roll:
Don't read the west. Don't listen to 6pr. Don't watch the news on any commercial network.

Have to admit I saw a video today (abc online) of Bancroft putting a tea spoon of sugar in his pocket - I think during the Sydney ashes test?

If that's true, then f*** the Australians, they are cheating f****** c****, have been doing it probably for ages, and were so dumb they used yellow tape in front of 30 cameras to finally get caught.

And again if true, no more sympathy for Bancroft, he is a dirty f****** repeat offender.
Last edited by tonysoprano on Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
F111
Essendon Legend
Posts: 15031
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: SACK SMITH

Post by F111 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:22 pm

What happened to Atherton & du Plessis when they got caught?

User avatar
tonysoprano
Club Captain
Posts: 4382
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:31 pm
Location: Perth

Re: SACK SMITH

Post by tonysoprano » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:28 pm

Fines for duplessis. Not sure about Atherton.

That's what makes me think, is it really a big deal? (I mean in terms of influence on the game, at a moral level I find it reprehensible).

User avatar
MH_Bomber
Club Captain
Posts: 3142
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Hughesdale

Re: SACK SMITH

Post by MH_Bomber » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:25 am

It's as bad a day in Australian cricket that I can ever remember.

Almost as bad as the actual cheating was the train wreck of press conference from Smith and Bancroft. Smith initially get asks did he want to explain what had gone on out on the ground and immediately turns to Bancroft and says 'do you want to explain' - effectively putting Bancroft in the firing line and washing his own hands of the systemic nature of this attempt to cheat. I am steamed up about the cheating but seeing that also has me hopping mad.

This team has been stuffed for years. I always hated Warner and I don't care what anyone says I don't rate Smith as a batsman. Next best to Bradman my arse !!! Yeah has has scored heaps of runs on batsman paradise wickets with fat bats against underrate attacks but there is not one iota of grace and elegance in the way he bats. It's all awkward fidgetiness.
Regards

MH_Bomber

grassy1
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 6779
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:48 pm

Re: SACK SMITH

Post by grassy1 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:10 am

tonysoprano wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:22 pm
grassy1 wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:23 pm
tonysoprano wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:10 pm
Bancroft is a grown man, and has to take responsibility. But I think Smith and perhaps Warner are more culpable, given their positions, experience, and what sounds like the initial discussion to do this.

Its hard to understand how such deliberate actions can only lead to one match ban (and /or fines) though. Maybe scratching the ball isn't that big a deal after all? Maybe its just the affront to basic decency?
Agreed Tony.

Just curious about your latest opinion on the marvellous media here in WA? :roll:
Don't read the west. Don't listen to 6pr. Don't watch the news on any commercial network.

Have to admit I saw a video today (abc online) of Bancroft putting a tea spoon of sugar in his pocket - I think during the Sydney ashes test?

If that's true, then f*** the Australians, they are cheating f****** c****, have been doing it probably for ages, and were so dumb they used yellow tape in front of 30 cameras to finally get caught.

And again if true, no more sympathy for Bancroft, he is a dirty f****** repeat offender.
I have to read The Worst and listen to PR.

Call it WA Mediawatch. 8)

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 24114
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: SACK SMITH

Post by BenDoolan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:00 pm

The fallout from this is going to be huge. Guaranteed, Lehmann is gone tomorrow. I’d say Smith and Warner can kiss their leadership careers goodbye (and their immediate place in the team may be gone for some time), and Bancroft may lose his place in the side.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

grassy1
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 6779
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:48 pm

Re: SACK SMITH

Post by grassy1 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:51 pm

Unless JL takes over Lehman’s Position,Ben.

You find Bancroft gets a nice old leg up then.

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 24114
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: SACK SMITH

Post by BenDoolan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:58 pm

grassy1 wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:51 pm
Unless JL takes over Lehman’s Position,Ben.

You find Bancroft gets a nice old leg up then.
I hope Punter gets the gig. If he wants it.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

grassy1
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 6779
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:48 pm

Re: SACK SMITH

Post by grassy1 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:21 pm

There is strong speculation JL will get the job.

Now whether that speculation is National or just Wessstterrn Australia,...... :roll:

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 24114
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: SACK SMITH

Post by BenDoolan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:27 pm

grassy1 wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:21 pm
There is strong speculation JL will get the job.

Now whether that speculation is National or just Wessstterrn Australia,...... :roll:
It was speculation over here too. But it was mentioned that his 4 day record is poor. I also dislike his “I love my pets” style of selecting and promoting certain players. I’m sure guys like Cartwright, Turner, Paris, Agar, Behrendorff will get the red carpet treatment into the test side...
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

User avatar
ealesy
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 5559
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:19 pm

Re: SACK SMITH

Post by ealesy » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:39 pm

The story that is appearing (if it is accurate, could just be story we are going to be fed to limit the fallout) is that it was Warner's idea and he pushed for them to do it, got Bancroft to actually do it, and Smith was aware of it, but did nothing to stop it.

Reports also surfacing that there has been a massive split in the team between Warner and everyone else, with suggestions that Warner or someone in his camp feed a story to the media that the bowlers were all in on the plan and this is what he has told the CA investigation, while everyone else involved has denied this.

Reports too that CA are only too happy to kick Warner to the crub as he has been a major pain in their arses for ages.

So it seems Warner is being set up to be the fall guy, and if he lied and tried to drop other teammates who had nothing to do with it, in the shit, you would have to assume that is his Australian career over, none of those guys will ever want to step on a field with him ever again.

Post Reply