Major League Baseball 2018

Talk about cricket, soccer, tennis, rugby, whatever you like. Talk about it here!

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Major League Baseball 2018

Post by grassy1 »

New Season just started over the Weekend,with some games being played on Good Friday(Tut,Tut!).

Cubbies started well with a 2 - 1 Series Win on the Road,with the loss coming in a 17 Innings game,losing 2 - 1.

Be interesting to see if the LA Dodgers can go 1 step further,after recent years of just falling short,or whether the newly crowned Champiuin the Houston Astros can Repeat their Fantastic success of last year’s Heroivs!

If the Cubbies don’t make it,would love to see the Cleveland Indians finally go the Distance,after suffering Decades of losing seasons,then finally rise up as a force to be reckoned with,only to be cruelly denied in 3 World Series,particularly 1997.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: Major League Baseball 2018

Post by Windy_Hill »

My beloved Bronx Bombers have secured an AL wildcard place....likely to go up against the A’s in the sudden death playoff. We should have done better and finished on top of the AL East if not for a once in a generation season from the Red Sox. Injuries cruelled the offense and an incomplete and often average pitching roster was the major problem for the Yanks.

Looks like a great post season coming up. Please God, just don’t let the filth win.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Cubs feeling the Heat from Milwaukee Brewers,with only 1.5 games separating us both.

Our problems seem to happen simultaneously when our pitchers get hit,our offense gets stymied,such as yesterday when the Bucs(Pittsburgh)got us 5 - 1.

The Cards aren’t too far behind either,but right now,we could do with them doing us a favour or 2 against the Brewers,whilst hopefully the Pirates can stop pestering us.

I noticed Andrew McCutcheon crossed over to the Yankees from Pittsburgh.

Cleveland Indians clinched their weak Division a week earlier than the Red Sox,despite Winning far less games.

Atlanta Braves are just about home for the National League East,ahead of the Washington Nationals and spluttering Phillies.

In the Nstional League West,the Dodgers and Rockies will go down to the wire,whilst the same applies to Reigning World Series Champions Houston Astros and Oakland Athletics,though the Astros may prevail eventually.

Honourable mentions go to Seattle Mariners and Tampa Bay Rays,who have played some good Baseball,but all to no avail.

The Rays recently let a 8 - 2 lead go down the drain at Toronto to lose 8 - 9 to a fairly mediocre Blue Jays outfit.

The Cubs aren’t there yet,but I hope to see ‘em have 1 more shot at the Title,before the good times end.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Actually McCutcheon came from SF on a waiver as his salary was killing the Giants who are not in the running for the play offs. He didn’t even complete a full season after crossing over from the Pirates during the off season. He has been good with the Yanks going at a better than 300 obp
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Gee,I hardly noticed him at the Giants,Windy.

I wish One got the baseball back.

Going to the TAB on hold to watch the baseball in the morning,doesn’t appeal unless it’s Play -Off time,such as Game 7 Of The 2016 World Series.

I noticed the Big Unit who almost tossed it away is with the Yankees now.

Aroldis Chapman.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

My Redsox have had a record season. I was lucky enough to see them play the Indians at Fenway in August. It was great.

Hopefully the A's do everyone a favour and get rid of the Yankees.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Alarm Bells should be Ringing out loud at Wrigley Field after the past 2 ordinary results!

The Pitching Staff barring Johnny Lester should given a bloody Serve and told to sharpen up their game,whilst I guess our offense should be told likewise to wise up or risk missing the Play - offs or face an early exit from such action. :evil:
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

grassy1 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:06 pm Alarm Bells should be Ringing out loud at Wrigley Field after the past 2 ordinary results!

The Pitching Staff barring Johnny Lester should given a bloody Serve and told to sharpen up their game,whilst I guess our offense should be told likewise to wise up or risk missing the Play - offs or face an early exit from such action. :evil:
I did the tour of Wrigley while I was over there and went to see Pearl Jam there. It's a great stadium. Along with Fenway, there is so much history in the stadium.

I love the Wrigley Rooftops. People putting small seating areas on top of the buildings across the road from Wrigley so they can watch the games.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Did you have your photo taken at 1060 West Addison,Bert? :wink:
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

My word I did.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

I went to Fenway to see the Yankees take on the Sox - was so excited, and then, the rain came and the game was postponed. Still, had a look around the ball park - yeah, its got history, but other than that its a grimy mess.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

Fenway was smaller than I expected. I had the same. A storm hit about an hour before the game but luckily it cleared and the game wasn’t affected.

I say the Sox v yanks in the Bronx on another trip. Apart from the fact we got belted I enjoyed it. I also did a tour of Yankee stadium when I was there. Out of the 3 I did, Wrigley, Fenway and Yankee stadium it was the best tour.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Was that the old Yankee Stadium,Bert?

Reckon the long time owner known to many as George,might have used this phrase as often as a future President did,...

“You’re Fired!”

Be it real,through Billy Martin or in a fictitious manner,through another fella called George?!
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Cubs out of Jail in the closer against the Bucs.But geez,our Bullpen almost threw it away and 1 reckon the Groans around Wrigley,could have been heard around the White Sox’ Ball Park. :roll: #-o :-&

Is their Commercial name otherwise the New Commiskey Park?

The Indians bounced back to spank the White Sox 10 - 2,after coughing up a Win in the 9th,the previous day.

Reckon the Groans from the White Sox fans may have been heard going the other way at Wrigley Field,when the score was 10 - Zip against them.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Sadly, I think the Red Sox are an almost certain WSC this year. As much as it galls me to say, they have the best all round roster. Yankees have the power, always good to have at Yankee Stadium, but our starting rotation is weak despite Severino having a great year and CC still managing to be effective. Bullpen injuries have been a problem for the Yankees, again, giving up late runs last night against Tampa.

I think the Yanks can go deep into the Play Offs but Red Sox are definitely the team to beat
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Don’t underestimate Oakland A’s Windy.They’ve put together a pretty darn good season,which usually may have Won a Division Pennant.

They’ve had a sprinkling of Play - Off appearances over the years,most ending up in disappointment.They won’t be banking on a one off appearance this time around.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

grassy1 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:48 pm Don’t underestimate Oakland A’s Windy.They’ve put together a pretty darn good season,which usually may have Won a Division Pennant.

They’ve had a sprinkling of Play - Off appearances over the years,most ending up in disappointment.They won’t be banking on a one off appearance this time around.
True Grassy, they are definitely a team to beware and beat us in their last homestand in straight sets. However, at this stage, it looks like the Yankees will secure the home field for the wildcard playoff which is a huge advantage.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Cubs are Out.Fell in a right hole when the Stakes were high,twice at Home to Milwaukee for the Central Division Title and then to the Rockies in the Wild Card Play - Off!

Both times it was our offense that let us down,as opposed to our Pitching.Can’t really blame the Bullpen,even if they let the odd run slip.

We’re gone and on the balance of things,despite the good season,it was a Big Fail,given our expectations(or more likely hopes).

Now the Divsional Play - Iffs have the Dodgers up against the Rockies and Milwaukee against the Braves.

Almost hope it’s a Brewers v Rockies Championship Series,with all the Trash Talking Yasil Puig is up to.

Tomorrow morning sees the American League Wildcard Play - Off between the Yankees and Athletics and Sorry Crazyman,I wouldn’t mind seeing Oakland get up here.The Yankees are big enough and ugly enough to wait a season or 3 for more glory.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

Redsox v Yankees starts tomorrow morning. A Redsox sweep would be nice.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

Good night in the Bronx. The good guys lead 16-1 at the top of the 9th.

Dodgers, Astros and Brewers all through