Australia v England in England (Ashes 2023)

Talk about cricket, soccer, tennis, rugby, whatever you like. Talk about it here!

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Australia v England in England (Ashes 2023)

Post by BenDoolan »

Squad:

Pat Cummins (c)
Steve Smith (vc)
Scott Boland
Alex Carey
Cameron Green
Marcus Harris
Josh Hazlewood
Travis Head
Josh Inglis
Usman Khawaja
Marnus Labuschagne
Nathan Lyon
Mitch Marsh
Todd Murphy
Matt Renshaw
Mitchell Starc
David Warner
Essendunny
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Australia v England in England (Ashes 2023)

Post by BenDoolan »

You’d have to go with the same team that just played in the Test ICC Final.

But I’d say David Warner is on thin ice, and perhaps Starc needs to bowl better to keep Hazlewood out.

I think it would be nuts if Boland misses out.
Essendunny
desmondo
Regular Senior Player

Post by desmondo »

I think we should copy the poms Bazball tactics.

It could take the 'boring' out of negative batting, and just batting to survive for long periods that we see in 'normal' test cricket.

I guess we`ll see how it works against a world class attack like ours. I HOPE it doesn`t :-"

I reckon Trav Head is playing that way, and he`s doin ok. :wink:

We could call it 'Gilly' ball. vingertje
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

1st Test at Edgbaston

ENG 8/393 dec (J. Root 118*, J. Bairstow 78, Z. Crawley 61, N. Lyon 4-149, J. Hazlewood 2-61) & 273 (J. Root 46, H. Brook 46, B. Stokes 43, P. Cummins 4-63, N. Lyon 4-80) defeated by AUS 386 (U. Khawaja 141, A. Carey 66, T. Head 50, O. Robinson 3-55, S. Broad 3-68, M. Ali 2-147) & 8/282 (U. Khawaja 65, P. Cummins 44*, S. Broad 3-64, O. Robinson 2-43)

vingertje vingertje vingertje vingertje vingertje vingertje
Last edited by BenDoolan on Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:38 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Essendunny
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Warner is finished. Either retire, or sharpen that axe.
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

BenDoolan wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:22 am Warner is finished. Either retire, or sharpen that axe.
Retiring in Sydney,according to Davey Boy!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

grassy1 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:25 am
BenDoolan wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:22 am Warner is finished. Either retire, or sharpen that axe.
Retiring in Sydney,according to Davey Boy!
Hahaha… he better get some runs then. In his last 10 Test innings, he’s scored 292 runs. 200 of them in one knock.
Essendunny
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Fantastic hundred by Uzzie 8)

A little bit of luck when he was clean bowled by Broad on 112 with the new ball, but it turned out to be a no-ball. Hope he makes them pay dearly.

Both he and Carey are batting magnificently.
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

BenDoolan wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:33 am Fantastic hundred by Uzzie 8)

A little bit of luck when he was clean bowled by Broad on 112 with the new ball, but it turned out to be a no-ball. Hope he makes them pay dearly.

Criminal Bowling by Broad and England with the number of No Balls yesterday,undoing their work on Friday.

Australia are no angels either and I really can’t understand such bad habits continue to happen,that should easily remedied by an adjusted run up!

We may as well bring Lenny Pascoe back into the fold to do all that! :roll:
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

grassy1 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:35 pm
BenDoolan wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:33 am Fantastic hundred by Uzzie 8)

Criminal Bowling by Broad and England with the number of No Balls yesterday,undoing their work on Friday.

Australia are no angels either and I really can’t understand such bad habits continue to happen,that should easily remedied by an adjusted run up!

We may as well bring Lenny Pascoe back into the fold to do all that! :roll:
Len Pascoe and his no-balls :lol:

There was a test match v Windies at Adelaide when the last over before lunch went for about 15 deliveries. Greg Chappell standing at first slip with his arms crossed with a “for f**** sake” look on his face :lol:
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Blast it,where’s a Thank - You button when you need it,Benny? :lol:

Well then,the good old English weather stepped in yesterday arvo,with the Poms 2 for 20 odd.

How’s Bazball Gunna go now?Will they Thrash us around the park,declare and have us 3 for not much?

Or will it Cave in completely,leaving behind an awful lot of very disappointed Brummies?!
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Didn't see any last night. Did Robinson receive some sweeeeet chin music after his send off of Khawaja?
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

robrulz5 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:11 am Didn't see any last night. Did Robinson receive some sweeeeet chin music after his send off of Khawaja?
I believe so,though it didn’t really serve much purpose or stop him getting some runs on the cheap.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

DELICATELY POISED!!

174 runs to get, 7 wickets in hand, on a 5th day pitch.

That will seem like a mountain of runs.

All the best Uzzie. You’ve been outstanding this test. A lot rides on you tonight. I hope you can celebrate a victory with another ton.
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

WOW!I mean WOW!

How did we Steal that one?

Paddy and The Brewer

That’s how!

GREAT WIN and WELL DESERVED!

Against Great Odds,You Did It!

1 - 0

Is better than 0 - 1

Still plenty of work to do,but the head start helps!

Good acknowledgment from both Teams of each other afterwards.

I was starting to wonder if another Tied Test was possible,as there probably didn’t deserve to be a loser in this Test.

Got a week back here to catch our breath.Let’s see what happens,…..at Lords,….and Headingly,…..and Old Trafford,…..and The Oval.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

That was good to watch.
England choked in the end. Defended runs, lost their attack.
To new ball or not to new ball? That was the question!
:D
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

YESSSSSSSSSS !!!!

Finally witnessed a close win!!!! After all these years of devastatingly close losses!!!!

Usman Khawaja, take a bow. What a magnificent test match performance. Thoroughly deserved man of the match winner. His outstanding form, and mental application for the past couple of years has been amazing. Witnessing all his performances over this time just shows what a dickhead Langer must have been.

Take a bow Patty Cummins. What a magnificent performance with both bat and ball. That innings last night (along with Gaz) was bloody EPIC! Just as you did in your test debut, you brought us victory with some courageous and heroic batting. Your efforts the past two years has been outstanding also. The critics can all GAGFd. You have captain us to a world test final victory, and this outstanding victory against the odds.

It was a great feeling to be up witnessing this last night. I have seen sooo many close, heartbreaking losses that it almost got the best of me last night. I don’t think I would have survived another close loss lol :lol:

Just brilliant. Thanks CUMBALL
Essendunny
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

2nd Test at Lord’s

AUS 416 (S. Smith 110, T. Head 77, D. Warner 66, M. Labuschagne 47, J. Root 2-19, J. Tongue 3-98, O. Robinson 3-100) v ENG 4/278 (B. Duckett 98, H. Brook 45*, Z. Crawley 48, O. Pope 42)
Last edited by BenDoolan on Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Essendunny
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

About half way through his innings, Smudge played a cover drive which was as close to perfection as possible. He had played some great shots forward of the wicket, but this was an absolute gem. I think I replayed it about 10 times.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

BenDoolan wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:52 pm YESSSSSSSSSS !!!!

Finally witnessed a close win!!!! After all these years of devastatingly close losses!!!!

Usman Khawaja, take a bow. What a magnificent test match performance. Thoroughly deserved man of the match winner. His outstanding form, and mental application for the past couple of years has been amazing. Witnessing all his performances over this time just shows what a dickhead Langer must have been.

Take a bow Patty Cummins. What a magnificent performance with both bat and ball. That innings last night (along with Gaz) was bloody EPIC! Just as you did in your test debut, you brought us victory with some courageous and heroic batting. Your efforts the past two years has been outstanding also. The critics can all GAGFd. You have captain us to a world test final victory, and this outstanding victory against the odds.

It was a great feeling to be up witnessing this last night. I have seen sooo many close, heartbreaking losses that it almost got the best of me last night. I don’t think I would have survived another close loss lol :lol:

Just brilliant. Thanks CUMBALL
I got about a dozen emails at around 4:30 that morning all saying the same thing. I remember being in the car park at Southland when Border and Thommo were trying to win a Test Match and we got it down to handful of runs before Jeff lost his wicket. And of course there was Edgebaston several years ago.
It's great to be on the plus side of the ledger for a change.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark