2nd Test v The Lankans @ Hobart

Talk about cricket, soccer, tennis, rugby, whatever you like. Talk about it here!

DYSON#2
Club Captain

2nd Test v The Lankans @ Hobart

Post by DYSON#2 »

Down south we go to tassie. Cricket Australia was slammed for not promoting the 1st test properley and it might be safe to say they havnt done a great job of promoting the 2nd very well either.
Will there be changes in the Aussie camp? Kumar Sangakara will be a welcome addition to the lankans.

i have been to the tab and had a lobster on ricky ponting for the most runs at $4 and also a tenner on MJ to take the most wickets for the game at $8.

the first session is at 10.30am on friday morning and hobart is expecting a max of 27 degrees but rain expected on saturday.

go aussies
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

What's the wicket like down in Hobart BD, and what's the long term forecast??
Essendunny
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Does it realy matter? More of the same. Australia will win and I can watch something different.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

BenDoolan wrote:What's the wicket like down in Hobart BD, and what's the long term forecast??
History suggest the Bellerive deck tends to be somewhat of a road!
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

BenDoolan wrote:What's the wicket like down in Hobart BD, and what's the long term forecast??
Sorry for the delay...

Weather looks the goods but may rain a bit on Saturday but Bellerive is on the Sunshine coast of Hobart so wont get too much.... If the game goes deep into Tuesday then we may see a little bit too...

I reckon the pitch will offer a bit to the bowlers early on the first day then flatten out into a batsmens paradise. Make sure you check out the the big sign above the scoreboard for a clue as to where I work!!!!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

bomberdonnie wrote:
Sorry for the delay...

Weather looks the goods but may rain a bit on Saturday but Bellerive is on the Sunshine coast of Hobart so wont get too much.... If the game goes deep into Tuesday then we may see a little bit too...

I reckon the pitch will offer a bit to the bowlers early on the first day then flatten out into a batsmens paradise. Make sure you check out the the big sign above the scoreboard for a clue as to where I work!!!!
Will do!

I guess you'll be there holding a sign "Go Symons" :wink: :lol:
Essendunny
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Witty BD very witty :lol: :lol:
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Australia 1/48.
Hayden again throws his wicket away. Fernando bopwling pies and Hayden just slashes outside off stump and gets an edge to the keeper.

Is there a more over-rated bowler currently in the game than Fernando? Can not believe he was picked before Vass.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Rossoneri wrote:Is there a more over-rated bowler currently in the game than Fernando?
I can think of one.
Ramanama
Regular Senior Player

Post by Ramanama »

PJ Is killing them.

And MH is looking good too.
V-BOMBERS:
Premiers of the BTCL OD 0'7. V-Bombers!!!
BomberTalk POTY - Ramanama
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

An interesting question was posed on baggygreen this afternoon:

"Does the fact that Jaques and Hussey are doing much better at international level than they did at domestic level mean that the domestic competition is stronger than the international competetion?"

I think it's a bit early to be talking about Jaques but Hussey has certainly taken his game to another level at test cricket.

Allowing that there is an element of truth to the question, is it any wonder that we are better than the rest and getting better.

And maybe that's the answer for the rest of the world....play more four day cricket and make teams earn wins (unlike County Cricket for an example where there are so many cases of "manufactured" results) and that might toughen their players up ahead of test cricket.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Groundhog Day. Jaques & Hussey destroying the Sri Lankans again on Day 1. I suppose Clarke will go on to top score tomorrow....

I keep saying Hussey's average will drop eventually, but it keeps bloody rising!!!! What a gun.
Essendunny
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Australia has far and away the greatest cricket culture in the world.

We drop population to a few of the cricket "powers".

But look at the % of Aussies who play cricket.

"When it's summer in Australia, I can tell you if you don't like cricket it's real bummer that because cricket is the no.1 game in town."

Add to that our development structure which is currently being emulated all around the world.

Our first class game, with less money than at east 3 others, has teams which can match ANY in the world inluding international.

If we put 2 teams in the world cup both would finish in the top 4.

A guy like Jaques (OR JAKES as he is known by the comentry team), Could not get a gig. Hussey, Mr. Cricket, the only batsman to come within 10 runs of Bradman's average. Struggled for how long to get into this team.

This year we have lost (arguably) the 2 best bowlers of all time. One of the most successful openers of all time. And current tests to date (this summer), the three guys in our team who have won international batsman of the year have not contributed more than a 50. Yet the runner up in the world cup seemingly cannot compete.

We have become in Cricket what the US has in basketball, and we don't have the advantage of inventing the game.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Funny thing is that I was watching SA play NZ and the NZ commentator said that Lou Vincent had a great average in the mid 30s...

f*** i laughed and said to my mate just have a look at the Aussie batting line up and Michael Clarke is the lowest in the mid 40s... Lou would struggle to get a game in domestic and this commentator is plauding the man for having an average of 35 ffs!!
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
Rossoneri wrote:Is there a more over-rated bowler currently in the game than Fernando?
I can think of one.
Is Harmison still in the game?

But agree, Fernando is up there.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

For the first time ever in Test cricket a batsman has hit 100 sixes in their career. Congratulations Adam Gilchrist - definitelty the very best hitter I have ever seen.
Essendunny
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

BenDoolan wrote:For the first time ever in Test cricket a batsman has hit 100 sixes in their career. Congratulations Adam Gilchrist - definitelty the very best hitter I have ever seen.
And I was lucky enough to be sitting on the Bellerive hill with my litte man to watch his 99th and 100th six sail straight over our heads. I think that I appreciated it more than my 1 year old did!!!

Let me tell you his 100th six was one of the cleanest hits I have ever seen.... Sounded sublime off the bat!!!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

bomberdonnie wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:For the first time ever in Test cricket a batsman has hit 100 sixes in their career. Congratulations Adam Gilchrist - definitelty the very best hitter I have ever seen.
And I was lucky enough to be sitting on the Bellerive hill with my litte man to watch his 99th and 100th six sail straight over our heads. I think that I appreciated it more than my 1 year old did!!!

Let me tell you his 100th six was one of the cleanest hits I have ever seen.... Sounded sublime off the bat!!!
There is a request for the person who finds that ball to return it to Gilchrist. I would imagine there would be a significant reward for it. You should have gone out a fetched it!
Essendunny
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

BenDoolan wrote:
bomberdonnie wrote:

There is a request for the person who finds that ball to return it to Gilchrist. I would imagine there would be a significant reward for it. You should have gone out a fetched it!
Well I heard that too but the security around us said that someone had found it so I am unsure what happened to the ball. Maybe it is still bouncing down South St??

It went way too far for me to fetch in either case
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

Loving the solution to not having Warne and McGrath anymore....just make over 500 every time we bat.

Sri Lankan "series" will end with Murali not even getting close to Warne's record and no Australian bowler having had to hold a bat.