No.1 or No.2? Gibbs or Hansen?

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

mrredfox wrote:I think hansen as well. We need a good KPP and we have midfielders coming through. Dempsey, Jolley, Watson, Stanton, Lovett and a few others, they may not be Judds just yet but they will make up a formidable midfield. Having said that, if carlton take Hansen then we take Gibbs.

Keep in mind Gibbs is also a South Australian and has said he prefers to stay there so who ever picks him up could struggle to keep him in 2 years.
even though gibbs is a south australian we will also get a good trade for him
topdon
Club Captain

Post by topdon »

Essendon4eva wrote:
mrredfox wrote:I think hansen as well. We need a good KPP and we have midfielders coming through. Dempsey, Jolley, Watson, Stanton, Lovett and a few others, they may not be Judds just yet but they will make up a formidable midfield. Having said that, if carlton take Hansen then we take Gibbs.

Keep in mind Gibbs is also a South Australian and has said he prefers to stay there so who ever picks him up could struggle to keep him in 2 years.
even though gibbs is a south australian we will also get a good trade for him
Thats right. Won't want to go into the PSD as he won't be returning home unless Adelaide or Port get the spoon (unlikely). When Gibbs shows his worth, Adelaide teams would have to give up a bit to get him. Works out good for Essendon regardless!
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Has everyone forgotten Austin Lucy when talking about the backline of the future? All Australian Under 18 Full Back last year. Yes, we have Lee and a few other boys who can put their hands up down there, but isn't that why Lucy was drafted?

A Gibbs or Selwood would be good to sure up the midfield in the coming years, along with the likes of Watson, Stanton, Dyson, Winderlich, Lovett and co. Having said that, our backline has been haemorrhaging goals this season. Bradley one of the main offenders supposedly holding down the CHB position. I would concede that majority of the crucial goals that ended up losing us so many games this year came from poor disposal rather than poor defending though. Yes, Bradley got smashed all year, but the crap disposal is what killed our backline.

In saying that, if we could reduce the damage done by the opposing CHF by putting in a good CHB we'd eliminate at least one contributing cause to the haemorrhaging.

Depending on who Carlton picks up I'd love to see a Selwood or Hansen come into the team. Possible upside to picking up Selwood could be to pick up the others at some point in the future. Josh Carr went to Freo to play with his brother... stranger things have happened.
ROOKIE
Top Up Player

Post by ROOKIE »

In fairness to Lucy, he was a very late pick so I don't think you should be holding out on not drafting someone with the #2 pick because you have taken someone the year before in a weak draft about #50.

The times I have seen Lucy, he looks to me to be more like a running half back than a key position player, but I guess time will tell.
sash
On the Rookie List

Post by sash »

Gibbs wont be available so Hansen, will be the pick. Unless Gumbleton shows he can paly down back at all and shows that he is way better than Hansen. Gibbs would be great but Carlton are msot likely to pick him and we can focus on CHB problem would good midfeilders with otehr picks 18 and 20 i think they are.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

I would take Hansen. Medfeilders are a dime a dozen in comparison to key position players. I woudl take Hansen over Gibbs.
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

Depends obviously on Carlton. I think they will take Gibbs. So we get Hansen. We need a KPP, so Hansen fits that bill.

Not sure if this has been discussed.....is he Ashley Hansen's brother?
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

Essendon4eva wrote:I would take Hansen. Medfeilders are a dime a dozen in comparison to key position players. I woudl take Hansen over Gibbs.
really dime a dozen?

does that mean we could pick up kerr, cousins and judd for 50c?
(paying a bit over the mark tho eh??)

Gibbs at Number 1 is almost a no brainer.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

tom9779 wrote:
Essendon4eva wrote:I would take Hansen. Medfeilders are a dime a dozen in comparison to key position players. I woudl take Hansen over Gibbs.
really dime a dozen?

does that mean we could pick up kerr, cousins and judd for 50c?
(paying a bit over the mark tho eh??)

Gibbs at Number 1 is almost a no brainer.
I'll pay $5 for the three of them even if it is too much :D
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Marillion
Top Up Player

Post by Marillion »

We NEED to draft Lachie Hansen,he is a strong defender,can run the lines beautifully and a very strong over head mark!........... :evil:
Marillion
Top Up Player

Post by Marillion »

HANSEN!