Cousins

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Cousins

Post by hillchaser »

I'm sure this has been raised before but I was thinking.. that maybe cousins would be a good pickup for the bombers.

Firstly when it comes to the draft my preference is to draft a high quality natural defender. But we are caught in catch 22 where we also need another good quality midfielder. So why not pick up Ben cousins.. draft a natural defender.. then we at least have good coverage in the midfield for a couple of years while our young guns come through. I have to admin I like what Knights is doing and love our young players but if Cousins can get back to 80% of his best then we have a very good midfield all of a sudden.

Of course there are risks with this but I can't understand what the big deal is unless he leads other players astray. If he stuffs up everyone knows he has a problem and will be disappointed with him.. but i don't think it would reflect badly on to a club trying to give him a chance.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Re: Cousins

Post by bomberdonnie »

It wont happen... Get over it
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

Yeah it won't happen.

As big of a dick as cousins seems to be, I really really hope he gets drafted by an AFL club somewhere and
I just want the circus with him and his controversy to end.

Hopefully Brisbane will draft him, he'll play some solid football and stay clear of the limelight for the rest of his career/life.

over hearing about him.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Fk, another Cousins thread. This bloke spreads like a weed.
Essendunny
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

BenDoolan wrote:Fk, another Cousins thread. This bloke spreads like a weed.
We just need a bit of roundup then BD :lol:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
bpdons
High Draft Pick

Post by bpdons »

I'm with hillchaser on this one.
Over the past few weeks i've been warming to Cousins. i doubt he'll cost much as he'll be lucky if any club picks him up. Because of the lack of interest, his willpower to prove everyone wrong will be very high.

Even if he doesn't play a single game for the club, he could really show our young midfielders how to go about the business of getting the ball and improve skills execution. Even if he plays in the two's all year, i'm sure he can teach them to strive for the firsts.
You just never know, he could be the difference for our young midfielders to be average or dead-set brilliant.
I think we have a situation where Carlton have 3 x #1 draft picks as midfielders and Chris Judd teaching them, we must do everything we can to at least hold our own or we will be very unhappy in 4-5 years time if Carlton's tanking wins them a flag.

Yeah i'm not impressed with his prior 'out of football' decisions and the media circus that follows, but one thing is for certain. He can play the game and play it very well. We don't really have a midfielder general yet to show how it's done. Cousins could be that guy.

At a good price, the pro's definately outweigh the cons.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

You know the dons only need to get the opinion of Stuart McCormack on Ben. At the eagles for the past 8 seasons, he would have seen it all.
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

BenDoolan wrote:Fk, another Cousins thread. This bloke smokes too much weed.
Fixed

:D
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

Hayden Skipworth vs Ben Cousins.....hmmmmm....I know who I would be selecting in a flash. A gun midfielder who can teach some of our youngster how to play midfield. The guy deserves a second chance. If he stuffs up I will be the first to kick him out, but it is a risk worth taking.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

merc_2 wrote:Hayden Skipworth vs Ben Cousins.....hmmmmm....I know who I would be selecting in a flash. A gun midfielder who can teach some of our youngster how to play midfield. The guy deserves a second chance. If he stuffs up I will be the first to kick him out, but it is a risk worth taking.

Skipworth? I heard he has gone all right in the magoos and has no baggage.

reckon this same question is being asked in carlton/port and melbourne forums?(although it would be de boer/cousins, carr/cousins, johnson/cousins etc).
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

merc_2 wrote:Hayden Skipworth vs Ben Cousins.....hmmmmm....I know who I would be selecting in a flash. A gun midfielder who can teach some of our youngster how to play midfield. The guy deserves a second chance. If he stuffs up I will be the first to kick him out, but it is a risk worth taking.
Yeah you say it like it's a fact. It's bullshit.
Essendunny
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

BenDoolan wrote:
Yeah you say it like it's a fact. It's bullshit.
Here here BD. It's strange how peoples opinions about Cousins have changed since the last draft. The way the Richmond supporters are carrying on SEN tonight, you'd swear they were out for their coaches/selectors blood for deciding not to pick him up with pick six(?)... All for a selfish, self obsessed party boy with shot hammies that likes hanging out with dirtbag gangster types. If he's worth picking up, someone already would have done so by now. End of story...

:roll:
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Doctor Fish wrote:Here here BD. It's strange how peoples opinions about Cousins have changed since the last draft. The way the Richmond supporters are carrying on SEN tonight, you'd swear they were out for their coaches/selectors blood for deciding not to pick him up with pick six(?)... All for a selfish, self obsessed party boy with shot hammies that likes hanging out with dirtbag gangster types. If he's worth picking up, someone already would have done so by now. End of story...

:roll:
Agreed. But having said that, I get the craziest feeling Richmond are going to call his name out tomorrow morning.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.