Draft selections- Houli

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
sash
On the Rookie List

Draft selections- Houli

Post by sash »

As i always have a keen interest on the draft Ive been reading articles (the age, AFL website, selected info from bigfooty and so on). And have been trying to pick some possiblites for picks number 18 & 20. I started a topic on what type of player where'd go for. But here I have listed a few names. Can found out more info and more palyers if you's like but I there was one particluar player I wanted to bring up.

The few possibles I'd like are: Schmidt, Collard and Hislop, but of coarse they night not even be available come our selections. And will add to this after the draft camp as better indications of places are given. Remembering these are just my opinions that I get from what read and from bigfooty.

But there was one player I wanted to bring up that I'd love to have. BACHAR HOULI. Read an article about him in the Age. I like what I've heard about him and would be worth ago. Seems to have skill and a good character. Obvisouly there is aspect of risk with all draft picks. He has also performed well in the draft camp thus far. And Ive quoted a part of what someone on bigfooty said about him.
Very clean and composed midfielder. Tremendous skills by foot and given space and time he will be very damaging. Long kick of the ball as well as accurate.
Hard at the ball and man and possesses a natural physical edge to his game that really cannot be taught. Very good in contested situations and is clean with his hands under pressure and is a very smart player. Has vision and awareness and plays the game as if everyone else is in slow motion.
A little to one dimensional in being attacking and wont work hard enough the other way and be defensive. Needs to work on that aspect of his game.

Not quick and is a stocky build already. Worry about possible weight problems, OP and the dreaded “modified program”. 3rd in the Jets best and fairest and only played 7 games. Made the final 25 for Vic Metro in the announced squads. Had ankle problems and missed a couple of games and then developed stress fractures in his back.
Very good around goals and has a natural instinct for them and kicked a number in the TAC last year before the injury.
What are your thoughts? Would you go their if available? Was tipped to go early second round, could go earlier though.

And has anyone seen him play before? Or just got any comments on other players.
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

maybe worth a shot but sounds like he is injury prone. not good at a young age
patoman
On the Rookie List

Post by patoman »

Well with Rioli gone and johns finally on the field we do that player who sits in the stands whom we all believe would be the answer if only he could get fit and back on the field :D
Bring on the Houli!!!!
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

The stress #'s to the back would worry me.

He sounds like a likely decent draftee otherwise.
Marillion
Top Up Player

Post by Marillion »

NO!!!!!!! DON' T want him........ :evil:
Gatsid
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gatsid »

I have mates who play Jets with him, can turn a game and is very damaging but constantly getting injured. I can't remember the last time he had a full season which really isnt encouraging. Cameron Lockwood has won the B&F for the Jets 2 years in a row now, tough midfielder who is very quick and has a good tank however is only 173cm (Peter Bell size). Personally I think has what it takes but will get looked over because of height, he's well built for his age and wouldn't require to much time in the gym. I would say no to Houli could be great but will most likely end up another Rioli, should have been great but the body will just never allow it.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Didn't Houli get a mention in that Draftee Interview as one of the players that has towelled up the "unnamed player"? Seems to have what it takes, but if he's constantly on the sidelines he's going to have a rough go getting picked up. It's one thing to take on a kid who has just picked up a fairly serious injury (a la Judd) but has skills to burn, and another thing to pick up a kid with a lenghty history of being on the sidelines.
chickster
On the Rookie List

Post by chickster »

Whoever picks him up, his nickname has to be Patch! :D
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

NO
nmgilbert
On the Rookie List

Post by nmgilbert »

A few things on Houli. Ive played against him - I was 19 he was 15, he was about the only bloke all season that was stronger in the body than me (and i know that sounds arrogant but being strong was about the only attribute i had). Although, he was in a mans body at 15 - its really hard to see him improving much physically (or in drafting terms i dont think he has much upside).

I doubt he's strung more than 3 weeks in a row for a few years so I really dont think he has the body to consistently play at AFL level - i doubt the game will ever be less demanding than what he is accustomed to at the moment.

I wouldnt take the risk.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

nmgilbert wrote:A few things on Houli. Ive played against him - I was 19 he was 15, he was about the only bloke all season that was stronger in the body than me (and i know that sounds arrogant but being strong was about the only attribute i had). Although, he was in a mans body at 15 - its really hard to see him improving much physically (or in drafting terms i dont think he has much upside).

I doubt he's strung more than 3 weeks in a row for a few years so I really dont think he has the body to consistently play at AFL level - i doubt the game will ever be less demanding than what he is accustomed to at the moment.

I wouldnt take the risk.
I would never question (again) your knowledge or nous in biomechanical assessments. Your word is good enough for me.
nmgilbert
On the Rookie List

Post by nmgilbert »

lol, thanx doolsy!
Gatsid
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gatsid »

It's very true, Houli is so good in his current comp because he matured in strength very young and has been one step ahead physically the whole time. nmgilbert sums it up perfectly and I agree 100% wouldn't take the risk.
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

I'd be looking at Nathan Brown with pick #18. Can play defence from what I've heard, and in the draft camp was in the top 5 over 20m. I've always been a believer that a good backman must be quick off the mark.

If we get Hansen, Brown, a good midfielder with pick #20 and Batsanis with pick #36 I'll be thrilled. We'll have gone a long way to fixing the tall KP problems down back, in a few years when Lucas/Lloyd get old Hansen can switch forward, and in my view Batsanis will give us the good delivery with the in&under ability we'll need to help Watson/Lonnergan.