Let the madness begin: Tarrant/Solly to Dockers

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
Filthy

Let the madness begin: Tarrant/Solly to Dockers

Post by Filthy »

Onmigod.....going to be interesting this week.

Tarrant package deal for Dockers

Greg Denham

October 09, 2006

FREMANTLE has emerged as a potential big player during trade week where it will chase Essendon's Dean Solomon as well as Chris Tarrant from Collingwood.

Tarrant and Solomon are close friends, and the Dockers will attempt to lure both players west when the player-exchange period starts officially today.

Fremantle is considering swapping first-round draft choices with Richmond in order to head off West Coast and snare Tarrant, who is keen to move on despite having a year on his contract.

In a potential trade deal, which the Magpies are aware of, the Dockers could send a slightly reluctant Graham Polak to the Tigers. The deal could involve Richmond handing its first national draft selection, No.8 overall, to the Dockers who would then give the Tigers their first pick, No.13.

Richmond would move five places down the pecking order in next month's draft, but would gain Polak, a prospective centre half-back or centre half-forward.

Fremantle would then be in a better position to negotiate with Collingwood, as it would on-trade its selection to the Pies, as part of a trade for Tarrant.

The Magpies have demanded a first-round selection and a suitable young midfielder in return. At this stage, the Eagles' first pick in the draft is not until No.16.

The Dockers are keen to secure Solomon first, and their reasoning is that it could help clinch the Tarrant trade. Essendon's refusal to offer the out-of-contract Solomon a new contract for longer than one season has him on the verge of walking out of Windy Hill.

His manager Michael Quinlan yesterday confirmed Fremantle's interest, which gained momentum over the weekend.

It is understood that Fremantle officials have been swayed by a push from assistant coach Mark Harvey and general manager of football operations Robert Shaw.

Both spent many years working with the versatile Solomon under coach Kevin Sheedy at Windy Hill and believe he can add to Fremantle's list.

However, the Dockers are also aware that Solomon may have to come to them via the pre-season draft in December as they believe it will be difficult to strike a deal this week with Essendon.

It is understood the Bombers had recently offered Solomon and his out-of-contract team-mate Jason Johnson to Port Adelaide without their knowledge.

In return, Essendon asked for Port's first national draft selection, No.5 overall.
Johnson has also threatened to walk if the Bombers do not increase the term of the one-year contract they have offered him.

The Eagles and the Dockers are poised to become locked in a bidding war to attract Tarrant. His manager Paul Connors held talks with both West Australian clubs over the weekend.

To target the experience of Tarrant (161 games) and Solomon (159), Fremantle, which improved from 10th to fourth this year, no doubt believes it is capable of taking another step to making next season's grand final.

So far West Coast has yet to make a move to start serious negotiations with Collingwood.

The Dockers will have a new captain next season -- either Josh Carr or Matthew Pavlich -- after Peter Bell announced on Saturday he was stepping down after five years as Fremantle's leader.

Pavlich won his third best-and-fairest award for Fremantle when he topped the Dockers' count with 34 votes, three more than Bell and Michael Johnson. Pavlich had previously won the honour in 2002 and 2005.

West Coast key-position bit-player Andrew McDougall wants to be traded to the Western Bulldogs despite last week being offered a one-year deal to remain at the Eagles.

McDougall's manager Colin Young yesterday said he hoped both clubs could work together to give his client a better opportunity of playing regularly at the elite level.

"They (the Bulldogs) said they were pretty keen to get him across the line, and we'd expect a two-year deal," Young said.

As expected, West Coast's premiership defender Drew Banfield announced his retirement over Saturday.
dingus
Regular Senior Player

Post by dingus »

Why the f*** would the Eagles be even remotely interested in a hack like tarrant?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Absolutely hilarious!

Chris Tarrant has had 9 seasons now at AFL level. The huge majority of them as Collingwood's major focal point to goal. This season he played 20 games for 36 goals. In fact, over 9 seasons, he has only kicked over 40 goals on two occasions. That is utter rubbish from a guy who attracts such media BS in regard to his ability and AFL rating. His best season only yielded 54 goals. He continually goes missing when needed, misses crucial goals at crucial times and has a huge attitude problem. The "talented" full forward has played 161 games and kicked a "whopping" 299 goals. He is so popular that Collingwood supporters want to chop him up and eat him.

And he is regarded as the necessary ingredient to win a premiership??
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

I bet the nightclubs in Fremantle are rubbing their hands together.
Dizzy_69
Regular Senior Player

Post by Dizzy_69 »

billyduckworth wrote:I bet the nightclubs in Fremantle are rubbing their hands together.
LOL :lol:
beer-man
Club Captain

Post by beer-man »

And the police are preparing their tear gas :evil:
Blidge
On the Rookie List

Post by Blidge »

In return, Essendon asked for Port's first national draft selection, No.5 overall.

if this happens ill dance naked around windy hill.
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

How a club can believe that Solomon and tarrant will take them closer to a premiership is beyond me. Sounds like the Dockers of old with their crappy trading.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

For once we aren't in the box seat regarding a trade. If we want something good from Fremantle and they don't budge Solly will go into the pre-season draft and we'll get nothing for him.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Um but we are in the box seat because they want to get Solly in an attempt to lure Tarrant to the club!!
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Blidge wrote:

I'll join you. Hell, if we get enough people we could do a naked conga line down Napier Street!
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Tarrant would be good for WC.
Lynch at FF and Hansen at CHF leaves Tarrant out on a flank where he may get a lesser opponent.
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

I agree with F111.

I think Tarrant is a good player that would definately help either WCE or Freo.

Collingwood have been too stupid to realise that he isnt a FF and that he cant kick enough per year to be dominant there. On a HFF or even pushed up into the midfield on a wing or something. He is a good player, just not going to produce numbers like the Fevs, Lloyds and Ghreigs etc.

It is understood that Fremantle officials have been swayed by a push from assistant coach Mark Harvey and general manager of football operations Robert Shaw.
These guys know a little something about Solly and about the game in general. Getting rid of Solly would be foolish, unless we get something good in return. And im not talking about a second round draft pick either.

The club is young and we need someone like Solly around. I am very confident he will come good again...
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

As long as we get someone of value from the Dockers i would be happy to trade Solly. Have Rich lost interest in Solly cuase i heard that they were going to have a try at luring him to Punt Road after missing out a few years ago... if thats the case i have a 3 way deal...

Soloman to Fremantle, Polak to Richmond, Coughlan to Essendon

plus there would be a few picks exchanged...

what do you think...
2QIK4U
On the Rookie List

Post by 2QIK4U »

I'm taking the conspiracy theory route. Harvey and Shaw went to Freo to talk-up the value of Solly so that we can get a decent player/draft pick.

Now, if we can get them to start doing the same with Henneman and Reynolds.........
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
Blidge wrote:

I'll join you. Hell, if we get enough people we could do a naked conga line down Napier Street!
Count me in, thats 3 so far.

Preferably I would prefer to keep JJ but to get Ports #5 pick, yeah Ill take that.

Will they take Reynolds for free?
lozza89
Regular Senior Player

Post by lozza89 »

Would anyone consider Solomon for a straight swap for Schammer? Apparently he has been thrown into the mix over at the Dockers, and is looking to come to Melbourne. I think he is a very good player and I wouldn't mind him at Essendon.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

We need a CHB.

Polak is a #4 pick CHB who wants to get his life back on the rails away from WA.

Freo want solomon who IMO would make them premiership contenders by adding swagger and toughness to a good back 6.

1+1+1=4???????

Why on earth hasn't a solly for polak trade been tabled yet?

GET POLAK.
Sol
Top Up Player

Post by Sol »

andrewb wrote:We need a CHB.

Polak is a #4 pick CHB who wants to get his life back on the rails away from WA.

Freo want solomon who IMO would make them premiership contenders by adding swagger and toughness to a good back 6.

1+1+1=4???????

Why on earth hasn't a solly for polak trade been tabled yet?

GET POLAK.
Polak is out of contract and is interested in Richmond or believe it or not Carlton ONLY. If they dont strinke a deal he goes into the PSD and Carlton pick him up for free. That is unless they prefer to pick thornton who they have said will be picked in the PSD if he walks out.
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

Also, although Polak was #4 in 2001, Bradley was #6 in 2003.

We've already got one tall WA that we're not 100% certain about. Given Polak's issues, we would only want him very very cheap.

As in, cheaper than the 2nd round pick I'd hope to get for Solomon.

As to Schammer, no hope. Freo also needs midfielders, so he won't be going anywhere.