Andrew Welsh

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Andrew Welsh

Post by Rossoneri »

Can not believe that this guy has not been put up as trade bait. Surely we could get a high second round pick for him. He provides us with very little and wont get any better than he already is.

Now is the time to trade him while his age is an asset to a team willing to take him.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Andrew Welsh

Post by BenDoolan »

Rossoneri wrote:Can not believe that this guy has not been put up as trade bait. Surely we could get a high second round pick for him. He provides us with very little and wont get any better than he already is.

Now is the time to trade him while his age is an asset to a team willing to take him.
I'm miffed as well, considering JJ has been bandied around. I also can't believe he was so high in the B & F count..........something just doesn't add up :?
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

It's not over until 2pm Friday. Welsh may not have been mentioned yet, however if he is the missing piece of the puzzle to get a worthwile deal done he'll come in to calculations.

I like Welsh, would be sad to see him go, but he does have some currency value in my opinion.
jorayme
Top Up Player

Post by jorayme »

Couldn't agree more, Welsh doesn't do a great deal in the backline with all his across the field short kicks so I hope they list him for concideration.Some club might have something of value for him. Although I still think he would be overlooked. Doesn't really offer much for anyone to be interested in him.
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

Yep get rid of him. If ever there was a bloke that holds the ball up with 80% of his disposals, it's him. Never throws caution to the wind, take his man on & play on. Always stop-start-stop, stop-start-stop, look pissed off that he's got no options up field (any wonder, he's had the ball for 5 minutes), & then does a dinky little sideways 20 metre kick. By this stage every bloke in our forward half is manned up (& have been for ages).

We need attacking play from the backline, not uncertainty, if we are ever going to go places. Nash or Slattery are much better long term options in the backline.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

CameronClayton wrote:Yep get rid of him. If ever there was a bloke that holds the ball up with 80% of his disposals, it's him. Never throws caution to the wind, take his man on & play on. Always stop-start-stop, stop-start-stop, look pissed off that he's got no options up field (any wonder, he's had the ball for 5 minutes), & then does a dinky little sideways 20 metre kick. By this stage every bloke in our forward half is manned up (& have been for ages).

We need attacking play from the backline, not uncertainty, if we are ever going to go places. Nash or Slattery are much better long term options in the backline.
Nicely summed up........now how did he finish 4th in the B & F :?: :?: :?: and ahead of McVeigh :? :x
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

He can't kick more than 35 metres and even though he gets alot of the ball he turns it over alot.

He also seems to always have goals kicked on him.
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

He should just be told to bang it long.

But the other problem is that he's also not particularly accountable.
Kanech
Top Up Player

Post by Kanech »

welsh is not the only defender who seems unable to find decent target even dustin has been struggling because our players up the ground arent presenting half of the time welsh always finds a man when the rest of the side is up and about
keep him aty the club he is a valuable player for efc
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

ealesy wrote:Reason JJ been thorwn around and Welsh isn't, is really pretty simple. The simple fact of the matter is that Welsh is already contracted, and JJ isn't!!
Doesnt matter, unless Welsh signed a contract this season.
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

Welsh is easily Essendon's second best defender, how can you guys bag someone as consistant as he has been for a long time now? Sure he has his flaws but I think he's one of our most gutsy players. The fact is he gets the job done.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Reason JJ been thorwn around and Welsh isn't, is really pretty simple. The simple fact of the matter is that Welsh is already contracted, and JJ isn't!!
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

CameronClayton wrote:Yep get rid of him. If ever there was a bloke that holds the ball up with 80% of his disposals, it's him. Never throws caution to the wind, take his man on & play on. Always stop-start-stop, stop-start-stop, look pissed off that he's got no options up field (any wonder, he's had the ball for 5 minutes), & then does a dinky little sideways 20 metre kick. By this stage every bloke in our forward half is manned up (& have been for ages).

That's a good summation of Welsh, especially the bit about him putting on the fake angry face when he can't find an option as though it's someone else's fault. Welshy, when you hold on to the ball for 30 seconds whilst every forward has made 5 leads, it isn't you that should be showing the frustrated face.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

ZeroEffect wrote:Welsh is easily Essendon's second best defender, how can you guys bag someone as consistant as he has been for a long time now? Sure he has his flaws but I think he's one of our most gutsy players. The fact is he gets the job done.
Because he is too predictable with his 25 metre sideways kick that "hangs" in the air for the opposition to spoil or steal the pass. It happens 80% of the time. His kicks have no penetration and he can't kick over a jam tin. They are the facts. But yes, he is very gutsy, I'll give him that! What the others have written as criticism is pretty spot on though.
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

Im disappointed that JJs name is being thrown up as trade bait and not Welsh. Now would be the time to throw his name up because the club could get something of value.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

It's interesting to see how many posts appear to encourage us to trade away our younger players (Welsh, NLM, McPhee, Bradley to name a few) whilst at the same time almost demand that we keep our older players.

I personally think we should be keeping Welsh as he still has a lot of football left in him.

I would hope that we can reach agreement with JJ but he is nearing the end of his career and (IMO) would be the lesser loss at this stage as he wil probably only be around for another 2 years.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012