Steve Johnson?

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
Makaveli
High Draft Pick

Post by Makaveli »

Straight swap for solomon you'd consider it, we are seriuosly lacking a dangerous small forward option and have been for a couple of years.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Once again we pursue a player who is injury prone.

In Europe (soccer), if you have a dodgey ankle, you are simply not considered by other clubs.

Johnson, good player, but there is something not right.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

I think he is a better prospect than some names that have been thrown up. All depends on the cost I guess.

His injury problems are a worry though, but if he could get over them, could be a very good player.
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Another project player in my opinion!
With Sheeds only having one year left why draft blokes that will end up someone elses problem if Sheeds can't sort him out straight away?
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

Interesting one, he is a freak of a player and could be anything.

He does things out there that are well and beyond what a normal "inconsistent goalsneak" does.

He did kick 30 goals in 15 games this year. As others have said he is 6.2 and is a marking option, not just a goal sneak. He will be getting the 4th (maybe 5th) best defender behind Lloyd, Lucas, CJ, Hird which could be used to our advantage to exploit.

If we believe we will get 20 games out of him each year I'd take him. Might allow Monfries and Lovett to spend more time in the midfield.

As a straight swap for Solomon I'd probably say yes, for a second round draft pick probably no.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

If he became the 5th or 6th best forward he could play a Caracella type role.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

WTF, this thread is posting backwards lol. Well for me it is.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

ah, I know why, posts are ordered by time and it has been adjusted.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Is it daylight savings already?
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

robrulz5 wrote:Is it daylight savings already?
The forum was on AM rather than PM and vice versa. So it's sort of 12 hours behind if you know what I mean.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

danstar84 wrote:
robrulz5 wrote:Is it daylight savings already?
The forum was on AM rather than PM and vice versa. So it's sort of 12 hours behind if you know what I mean.
OK. Cool.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Steve Johnson?

Post by jimmyc1985 »

ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

yeah don't want him myself.

injury prone and inconsistent.

for a straight up trade for Dean Solomon I would consider it though.

However, I really don't want to see him at the club, he's made it a habit of his to snipe at our young players over the last few years, but he is a squib when it comes to taking on senior player with full develop bodies.

Anyone remember last year when he went at Stanton, had McVeigh step in and got laid on his arse. Only pity about that was it cos Spike a week on the sidelines.
Daisy..1
Regular Senior Player

Post by Daisy..1 »

..I heard it was a swap for Courtney Johns this morning on SEN??..or pick 18 or 20?
Image]
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

Daisy..1 wrote:..I heard it was a swap for Courtney Johns this morning on SEN??..or pick 18 or 20?
:shock:

couldn't see us giving up CJ after all the effort we have put into his rehabilitation....
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Herald Sun suggested that Solomon could be involved in a deal for Johnson.

I know he's had injuries but he is a goal kicker and would be a good forward option. Could also allow Lucas some time at CHB should we need it.

A change of clubs is just what he needs I reckon, I'd be happy if we got him.

It's the same as Solomon, if he stays I don't think he will play better, a new club and environment is just what he needs.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

bombercol wrote:
I know he's had injuries but he is a goal kicker and would be a good forward option. Could also allow Lucas some time at CHB should we need it.
How would getting a snall crumbing forward pocket/forward flanker allow us to play Lucas at CHB??!!
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

ealesy wrote:
bombercol wrote:
How would getting a snall crumbing forward pocket/forward flanker allow us to play Lucas at CHB??!!
I wouldn't say that at 6 foot 2 or 3 he's a small crumbing forward.

I think he'd be more than handy, given in 2006 he kicked 30 goals from his 15 matches not being the no 1 forward.

With Lloyd,Lucas,Johns,Johnson that gives us a pretty good forward line and as I said could allow Lucas to help out at CHB if the need came.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Johnson is too injury prone and way too inconsistent or us to bother about picking up.

Save the spot for a draft pick
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

From afl.com this afternoon

"Meanwhile Dodoro said the Bombers had dropped out of the race to sign mercurial Geelong forward Steve Johnson.

Johnson, a frustrating but potentially matchwinning forward, has been put up for trade by the Cats but the Bombers decided he wasn't the right fit for Windy Hill."
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012