Saints Blew It

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Saints Blew It

Post by Windy_Hill »

Should have won by 3-4 goals - dominated inside 50's and totally blew their opportunities.

Saints can now join North in 98 and Geelong 08 as teams that pissed away a Premiership with bad kicking for goal!!

I actually feel sorry for them
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Re: Saints Blew It

Post by Jazz_84 »

i don't feel sorry for them, arrogant supporters suck shit!! seeing them all ball their eyes was priceless!! especially Nicky... Milne f****** up was laughable too

im a nasty bastard but can't hide the fact i loved seeing them fail after the year they had
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

I don't know I feel sympathetic yet the same as Jazz. All through the game I kept changing who I wanted to win !! The supporters in Round 20 when we beat them shat me up the wall so to those. Suck sh!t. Feel sorry for my dad though.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

I feel awful for my old man. Put up with so much crap from the Saints for four decades - this has been their best shot since he was at the MCG in 1966.
Still, I did have my money with the Cats.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Windy_Hill wrote:Should have won by 3-4 goals - dominated inside 50's and totally blew their opportunities.

Saints can now join North in 98 and Geelong 08 as teams that pissed away a Premiership with bad kicking for goal!!

I actually feel sorry for them
Yep so do i... i was barracking hard for them today and at half way through the last quarter i really thought they had it under control. Really bad misses by Schneider, Milne and others cost them badly today. Im actually heartbroken for them... :(
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Jazz_84 wrote:i don't feel sorry for them, arrogant supporters suck shit!! seeing them all ball their eyes was priceless!! especially Nicky... Milne f****** up was laughable too

im a nasty bastard but can't hide the fact i loved seeing them fail after the year they had
Seeing Nicky cry is hardly something to get excited about. Not since Kim Hughes has an Aussie sportsman bawled like a baby more often - in fact, not seeing him cry is now cause for concern
visiting saint
Top Up Player

Post by visiting saint »

Hi guys. Am absolutely gutted. What can I say. I know there are some on here that love to see the Saints fail. It doesn't bother me - there are fans who for one reason or another hate every club. Am just f***n gutted that we blew a golden opportunity. Schneider, Milne, McQualter, Dempster all missed goals that they should have kicked. Should have been 4 goals up at half time and that might just have been enough. So for us long term Saints fans it's just bloody deja-vu. Opportunities come around and you have to grab them. We f**ked it up. Will take a while to get over this. Then it's back to square one for 2010. The Bombers will be up and about next year I reckon. Time will tell if we can back up and have another fair dinkum crack. Hard to see us getting another golden run with injury like we had this year. What to say. Am just gutted.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

I can't really say I feel for Saints supporters...of either code...

Saints deserved to win the premiership and probably the game overall, but as has been pointed out, to many players missed to many opportunities to kick clear (Schneider's miss in the first quarter was an absolute shocker...). Also, I understand that you want your best players out there, but given the conditions, I think that the Saints were a little top heavy and this showed most with how Reiwoldt & Koschitzke performed...

Congrats to the Cats, after the last three years, they probably deserve it as much as the Saints did for their season, but as they say, premierships are won on the last Saturday in September not in the 364 days preceding it...
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

They sure did blow it. St.Kilda were the better side for most of the day and just didn't take their chances, alot of them easy ones. Geelong were fantastic going forward, I'm not sure how it finished but at one stage they had 12 scoring shots from 21 inside 50's.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Sam Newman speaks a lot of shit, but he's right when he says that you have to take your chances early when they present themselves. Saints should have been 5 goals in front at half time, that's what lost them the game.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

in all seriousness VS i do feel for you as you seem really decent, you guys should be there next year, but getting rid of a couple in Clarke and even Milne wouldn't hurt you guys at all... with all your inside 50's Nick and Justin should have just sat in the 50 and taken marks all day... Nick was able to be double/triple teamed all day and it showed.

next year could have 4-5 teams having a real crack, should be interesting
Kakadu Kangaroos
visiting saint
Top Up Player

Post by visiting saint »

Jazz_84 wrote:in all seriousness VS i do feel for you as you seem really decent, you guys should be there next year, but getting rid of a couple in Clarke and even Milne wouldn't hurt you guys at all... with all your inside 50's Nick and Justin should have just sat in the 50 and taken marks all day... Nick was able to be double/triple teamed all day and it showed.

next year could have 4-5 teams having a real crack, should be interesting
thanks mate. Appreciate your comments. Don't think it was a day for tall forwards. Apart from Mooney taking one, I can't remember any big grabs. And yep every time Roo or Kosi went for a mark there were two or three Geelong guys going the punch.
Raph Clarke - he was awful in the first quarter but was ok after that. Milne - well he's yet to stand up in a big game. f*** me he absolutely butchered two in the second, along with Schneider and McQualter. Should have been four up at half time and you'd think we would have won from there. Just so bloody disappointing. Too young to remember 66. Was at the '71 and '97 GF's and now today. Bloody hell it tests you. What to do. Born into a Saints family, old man played for the Saints and will always be a Saint. This one really hurts though. So bloody empty.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

yeah can be a long time between drinks and can happen to anyone! we've been lucky to see a couple of wins, i can't imagine what it must be like to go 40 odd years as a supporter, saying it would test me would be an understatement
Kakadu Kangaroos
visiting saint
Top Up Player

Post by visiting saint »

Jazz_84 wrote:yeah can be a long time between drinks and can happen to anyone! we've been lucky to see a couple of wins, i can't imagine what it must be like to go 40 odd years as a supporter, saying it would test me would be an understatement
So hard to get there. And to blow it like that. It's really starting to kcik in now. Have been a bit numb until now. Am on your forum to pass some time as the Saints forum is like a funeral parlour or people trying to brush it off with forced optimism. :(
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

forced optimism works for a few in here too :P
Kakadu Kangaroos
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I'm struggling to figure out how the Saints lost it. Controlled the play just about everywhere on the field. Just didn't convert enough from the F50 entries.

It was a day where I didn't mind either club winning this premiership. But I was really feeling for the Saints when there was about a minute to go. Then a random thought popped in my head "I can't f***'n believe Cameron Mooney is a 3 time premiership player".

Who was your old man VS?
Essendunny
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Visiting Saint - I offer my commiserations. As one who endured the 1990 loss live I know the feeling - its just not good at all. I have Saints supporting brother who will be similarly gutted.

It was touch and go all day but the missed shots were costly and Geelong really lifted a notch in the last quarter.

Can I ask what is the feeling about the non inclusion of Hudgton ? I reckon this was a very bad move by Lyon. I know that LLoyd always had trouble with him even when he was at his best. Max could play on a key position and had a lot of passion about him. I think you missed this guy today.

I wanted the Cats to win basically because I think they have been very good for a long time and the Bomber Thompson connection.

Koschitsky did nothing. Milne stuffed up as did Schneider. Its time for Lyon to bite the bullet and play a lot more of the younger players. Please implore him to change the chess like game style - its very boring and it isnt a style conducive to flag winning.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Going into the game i was going for Geelong, but wouldn't have minded in the least if the Saints got up. That was until the Milne, Schnieder and another Saint (I forget who) but in some truly disgusting dives to try and win 50s. Luckily the umps didn't fall for it, it also cost the Saints because Schnieder was not paid a balant free in the last because he threw his arms back like a little bitch and the umpire thought he was trying to suck him in.

I thought Harry Taylor must have been close to the Norm Smith did a great job on Riewoldt, not the best conditions for Riewoldt, but Taylor played him well. Even when Riewoldt was on top early, he was leading way to far up the ground to hurt the Cats. he kept taking marks on the wing. I think it was a plan to blow Taylor up, but it didn't really work.

If you told me before the game that all of Mooney, Hawkins and Rooke would all kick more goals the Riewoldt, 1. I would of called you a lying bastard and 2, if that occurs there is no way the Saints will win.

Do feel sorry for the true, passionate, die hard Saints fans who have endured so much heartache, the bandwagoner, f***wit, tosser Saint suppoters can suffer in their f****** jocks.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

BenDoolan wrote: "I can't f***'n believe Cameron Mooney is a 3 time premiership player".
yep, and then you have absolute champs of the game like Robert Harvey who don't win any.

lots of luck for both teams and individuals involved in this game.
visiting saint
Top Up Player

Post by visiting saint »

Thanks for the civility and not rubbing it in. Appreciate it. Am a die hard long term Saints member and I really thought today we'd throw off all the baggage of being perenially rubbish. Reckon we've got one or two more years with a fair crack with this group. Will be tougher next year for sure. The scum will be better, the Bombers will be pressing towards the top and the Bullies will be bloody hungry. Adelaide, Geelong, Brisbane. Tough just to earn a crack at the flag.
Where did we lose it? Poor conversion. Milne running in in the second - he's got a paddock - plenty of time and the game's running St.Kilda's way. He kicks it, it's a real team lifter, Saints are 13 points up, have kicked the last four goals and momentum is well and truly with us. Instead he butchers it, butchers it again, McQualter misses, Geelong take it up the other end and bang. All square again. In the end you can't give a team like Geelong a chance to get up when you've got your foot on their throat. Not that it was at that stage, but the chances to drive home the inside 50 and possession dominance and go in to half time with a three or four goal lead - up in smoke.
Reckon Schneider was stiff in the last with that free - but the umpiring is never an excuse. Thought the umps were reasonable overall.
Re Hudghton vs Dawson - the general consensus amongst Saints fans is that Lyon made the right call. Max is an awesome stopper and had we played a team with a FF like Fevola or Richo then IMO Max would have got a guernsey. But he provides bugger all run out the back half and his disposal is average. Heart and soul of the club, sad for him to see him sitting in the stand but right call IMO. Dawson made a couple of errors but he's been great all year and deserved his spot. Hard to see a Saints back half providing much run with all of Dawson, Blake and Hudghton. Dawson's disposal has also been excellent all year.
Agree Taylor did a good job on Roo. He was sharing the load with Mackie and Harley and it's a tactic that worked well for the Cats. The weather made it tough for the big fellas as well.
Who was my old man? Prefer to remain anonymous. Didn't make that much of a splash. Played a few seasons. Was a country boy who came to the Saints from the Hampden League.