PSD - Will we participate

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

PSD - Will we participate

Post by swoodley »

Given that we have to use our picks from Freo and won't (surely) pass on our earlier picks, we have to make at least six picks in the draft.

We have already lost Rioli and Solly, Rama will not be on the main list and if we delist Reynolds, Henneman and Bolton, they cover the six picks.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of useful experienced players left, so my question is do we need to delist someone else just so we can draft someone in the PSD.

I don't think so.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

One more out of Cartledge, Peverill or Lee will be delisted too in my opinion (I think Cartledge) and yes we'll want to be in the PSD.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

bombercol wrote:One more out of Cartledge, Peverill or Lee will be delisted too in my opinion (I think Cartledge) and yes we'll want to be in the PSD.
Always happy to hear from you Bombercol but why do you think we'll delist another palyer and why do you think we will want to be in the PSD?
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

Hope they dont use the PSD. There doesnt seem to be much out there that would help the club at this stage.

I reckon theyre better off using the 6 picks in the November draft which is supposedly deep and leave it at that.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I think we will use the PSD. Hopefully we can snag a couple of good players like we have in the past.
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

I don't think we want to use the PSD.

Doesn't seem to be anyone of any real interest to pick up.
Blidge
On the Rookie List

Post by Blidge »

I have a horrible feeling we might end up with Jason Cloke in the PSD. If we delist Lee to get Cloke i'll be mighty pissed off.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

NOT LEE !!!!!

Post by MH_Bomber »

From the few snippets I saw of Andrew Lee I would be very very disappointed if we were to lose him. I reckon he's got the potential to be a gun.

We certainly dont want another Ted Richards type situation on our hands. Ie. Good young player who is starved of opportunities finally gets p'eed off and looks elsewhere for a future. Well we were well and truly burned on that. The guy and just about single handedly won Sydney the flag after his blinder in 3rd qtr. I 'd like to see the likes of Nash, Lee and Slattery given a real dead set go this year. Not this chopping and changing that has been endemic in the last few years.

Play the youngsters so they can meld into a great team.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

bombercol wrote:One more out of Cartledge, Peverill or Lee will be delisted too in my opinion (I think Cartledge) and yes we'll want to be in the PSD.
we won't lose LEE IMO...... I suspect Cartledge will be the one to miss out.
bowzer
Top Up Player

Post by bowzer »

i say we redraft zantuck as a replacement solomon haha i love the mongrel in that guy... he has SO MUCH OF IT...and his not half a bad player aswell when not injured.
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

We will lose guys like Lee if we dont play him. Dead set pisses me off how guys like Lee, Nash and Dyson dont get given a proper go. Same with Cartledge. If theyre going to delist him then they should give him enough rope to hang himself.
Sol
Top Up Player

Re: NOT LEE !!!!!

Post by Sol »

MH_Bomber wrote:From the few snippets I saw of Andrew Lee I would be very very disappointed if we were to lose him. I reckon he's got the potential to be a gun.

We certainly dont want another Ted Richards type situation on our hands. Ie. Good young player who is starved of opportunities finally gets p'eed off and looks elsewhere for a future. Well we were well and truly burned on that. The guy and just about single handedly won Sydney the flag after his blinder in 3rd qtr. I 'd like to see the likes of Nash, Lee and Slattery given a real dead set go this year. Not this chopping and changing that has been endemic in the last few years.

Play the youngsters so they can meld into a great team.
I cant agree that one good quarter in the grand final makes up for a season of mediocrity or even the mistake riddled other 3 quarters in the GF. He wouldnt have been in Sydneys top 10 for the day.

Ted Richards for pick 9 was a steal (consider collingwood just got pick 8 and a hack called Medhurst for Tarrent) and we got dempsey who I think will turn out far more valuable that Teddy will ever be.

I do agree, that the young blokes have got to get chances, but they also need to grasp their opportunities and make the position thiers to keep. Look at youngsters like Harding, Polo, Swan, Thomas and Swallow, all of these guys performed when given the opportunity and kept their spots or were dropped only after their performance dropped off. Why should Essendon be any different?

Other than Monfries, NLM, Slattery (mostly) and Watson, not one of our young players really took hold of thier position. If they cant step up to AFL level they will keep getting dropped and unfortunately 4-5 changes every week will not be uncommon again next season.

I hope Lee and even Lucy get a chance at CHB next season, but ultimately if they cant deliver, they cant keep getting picked. Let me also point out that more patience is shown to senior guys, because you know they can perform even if they are not.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

swoodley wrote:
Always happy to hear from you Bombercol but why do you think we'll delist another palyer and why do you think we will want to be in the PSD?
G'day Swoodley, enjoy talking to you too mate :wink:

Sheedy earlier this year spoke about 7-8 changes to the list.

We have six pick, all I believe we will use in the national draft, especially as we have to use the last two.

Coming 15th, and I presume we've got room in the cap and with no 2 pick in the PSD we would want to have a go at getting an uncontracted player. It seems for the past few years at least clubs seem to know who is going to take who/who has committed to taking who and at number 2 pick it gives us a strong spot to negotiate with someone directly, especially knowing who the scum will take (at no 1).

I would be surprised if there isn't at least half a dozen players who remained uncontracted because of them wanting to leave or have been unluckily delisted, that would add value to our list.

Sometimes, as what happened last year with Campo, uncontracted players in dispute with their exisiting clubs may remain on lists after Oct 31 and then delisted prior to the PSD. That's where a Tim Notting may then not be available at the national draft and be available for the PSD, so we have to be in there.

I think Lee will stay, because Bolton and Henno in my opinion will be delisted.

We are going to need some depth if we get some injuries and Peverill's last half of the year where he played some good footy may have saved him for one more year.

McKinnon bering offered a rookie contract again along with Hille, Laycock staying and Ryder and possibly Bradley being used in spells in the ruck spells the end for Cartledge in my book. Cartledge wasn't able to break into the side when we cried out for a ruckman and I really think he played the last two games in an attempt to tart him around the other clubs come trade time.

So to add to Solomon and Rioli I'm predicting we will see Henneman, Bolton, Reynolds, Rama and Cartledge added to the list of departures.

I will be very surprised if we don't take advantage of being number 2 in the PSD, especially too given Sheedy's call to all those players coming out of conttract during the year not to sign contracts until they've spoken to us.
Last edited by bombercol on Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

bombercol wrote:
swoodley wrote:
G'day Swoodley, enjoy talking to you too mate :wink:

Sheedy earlier this year spoke about 7-8 changes to the list.

We have six pick, all I believe we will use in the national draft, especially as we have to use the last two.

Coming 15th, and I presume we've got room in the cap and with no 2 pick in the PSD we would want to have a go at getting an uncontracted player. It seems for the past few years at least clubs seem to know who is going to take who/who has committed to taking who and at number 2 pick it gives us a strong spot to negotiate with someone directly, especially knowing who the scum will take (at no 1).

I would be surprised if there isn't at least half a dozen players who remained uncontracted because of them wanting to leave or have been unluckily delisted, that would add value to our list.

Sometimes, as what happened last year with Campo, uncontracted players in dispute with their exisiting clubs may remain on lists after Oct 31 and then delisted prior to the PSD. That's where a Tim Notting may then not be available at the national draft and be available for the PSD, so we have to be in there.

I think Lee will stay, because Bolton and Henno in my opinion will be delisted.

We are going to need some depth if we get some injuries and Peverill's last half of the year where he played some good footy may have saved him for one more year.

McKinnon bering offered a rookie contract again along with Hille, Laycock staying and Ryder and possibly Bradley being used in spells in the ruck spells the end for Cartledge in my book. Cartledge wasn't able to break into the side when we cried out for a ruckman and I really think he played the last two games in an attempt to tart him around the other clubs come trade time.

So to add to Solomon and Rioli I'm predicting we will see Henneman, Bolton, Reynolds, Rama and Cartledge added to the list of departures.

I will be very surprised if we don't take advantage of being number 2 in the PSD, especially too given Sheedy's call to all those players during the year not to sign contracts.
Nice reply Col...thanks mate :D
ZRS
Regular Senior Player

Post by ZRS »

who at essendon is out of contract at the moment?
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Cartledge
Bolton
Reynolds
Peverill
Henno
Nash - although I saw on Bomber Blitz he's apparantly resigned for 2 yrs
McPhee
Bradley
Lee
to my knowledge
citizenerased
On the Rookie List

Post by citizenerased »

do we know who the potential PSD nominees are at the moment?
ive heard the clokes, notting and adelaide have only offered Scott Welsh a one year contract....
The Super Nintendo formerly known as Chalmers
Sol
Top Up Player

Post by Sol »

Well 6 gone as below has freed up our 6 draft picks
Rioli - Retired
Rama - to be rookied or delisted
Solomon - Traded
Cartledge - Delisted
Reynolds - Delisted
Henno - Delisted

We will free up at least 1 PSD, even if we only use it to redraft whoever is delisted. The following have been mentioned recently as they were out of contract but they have since been signed.
Bolton
Peverill
Nash

Lonergan and Lucy cannot be delisted as they have not had 2 years with the club since they were drafted.

Heff and Cole are contracted, but their contracts can be scrapped it we pay it out. They are possible options for delisting depending on our salary cap position (If we can afford to pay a non listed player under next seasons payments).

Unfortunately the most simple omission is Lee. Like some im dissappointed. Given the lack of opportunity at senior level, I figured he was being given time to bulk up. But as I said before, unless another obvious choice comes up in the PSD, we can easily draft him back onto our list.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Lee won't go. Or if he does, it will be a worse decision than the others made recently by far.

Sol - I read in the paper that if someone else goes, it will likely be Lucy!? I know that they have to give draftees a two year contract but maybe they don't have to see it out?
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

If Lucy goes it will be another shocking decision at a time when they need to be planning for Fletcher retiring and when the club is lacking key defenders. The backline is the biggest area of concern right now