Lachlan Hansen - Hip Surgery

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Lachlan Hansen - Hip Surgery

Post by swoodley »

From theage.com.au

Top draft prospect Lachlan Hansen had surgery on a hip last Saturday. The key-position player from Gippsland, who is set to be taken in the top four in the draft, had minor surgery to repair his labrum, the cartilage in the hip socket.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

so we take gumbleton??
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Not another Courtney Johns case! Makes it tough for the kid......
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

BenDoolan wrote:Not another Courtney Johns case! Makes it tough for the kid......
I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as Courtney's case. His was fairly major surgery and the doctor's told him he'd never play footy again.

Hansen's case was reported as minor surgery and there is no mention of it have any long term effects.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

swoodley wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:Not another Courtney Johns case! Makes it tough for the kid......
I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as Courtney's case. His was fairly major surgery and the doctor's told him he'd never play footy again.

Hansen's case was reported as minor surgery and there is no mention of it have any long term effects.
Fair enough, I had no idea of the seriousness of Hansen's injury.
bowzer
Top Up Player

Post by bowzer »

i always thought Gumbleton was the preferred choice?

more of a defensive unit where as hansen was capable of filling in at CHB but was primarily a forward player.
sash
On the Rookie List

Post by sash »

I thought it was the other way around Bowzer, Hansen being mroe defensive. Hope the injury is only minor anyway.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Well Gombelton is very much like Bradley. Tall and lanky and a bit unco-ordinated. Can we really wait four years for the #2 pick to develop?
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

Your right rosso... he is a bit like Kep
and your right again, i dont wanna wait years for a top 10 to develop, we already have to wait for Patty Ryder.. i think Hansen is a ready made size
nmgilbert
On the Rookie List

Post by nmgilbert »

Just to give u guys an idea of the type of surgery Hansen got - it is a minor surgical procedure very much similar to an arthroscope that you'd get on a knee. I'd say it wouldnt really have long term ramifications and wouldnt be a cause for concern.
F111
Essendon Legend

Re: Lachlan Hansen - Hip Surgery

Post by F111 »

swoodley wrote:From theage.com.au
.... had minor surgery to repair his labrum, the cartilage in the hip socket.
The labrum is the edgy lip around the outside of the rim of the ball of the hip joint. It may have just required a tidy up if slightly damaged as it can cause irritation during motion. The hip is an inherently stable joint via it's deep socket/ball anatomy.
The surgery won't cause any joint surface disruption, which may be more of the case with CJ's ailment, though I'm not aware/can't remember his full details.
The shoulder joint also has the same feature which adds slightly to the stability of the joint. The shoulder is more inherently unstable though as it is flatter and shallow.
Bottom line...it shouldn't affect his selection.
nomolos
Club Captain

Re: Lachlan Hansen - Hip Surgery

Post by nomolos »

F111 wrote:
swoodley wrote:From theage.com.au
.... had minor surgery to repair his labrum, the cartilage in the hip socket.
The labrum is the edgy lip around the outside of the rim of the ball of the hip joint. It may have just required a tidy up if slightly damaged as it can cause irritation during motion. The hip is an inherently stable joint via it's deep socket/ball anatomy.
The surgery won't cause any joint surface disruption, which may be more of the case with CJ's ailment, though I'm not aware/can't remember his full details.
The shoulder joint also has the same feature which adds slightly to the stability of the joint. The shoulder is more inherently unstable though as it is flatter and shallow.
Bottom line...it shouldn't affect his selection.

Not to sure but i think CJ snapped the head of the femur.

The boney knob that sits in the socket joint.
Marillion
Top Up Player

Post by Marillion »

That's ok about Lachie! If we do pick him up he'll be fit and ready to go! Better than breaking down halfway through the season the the hip problem!......... :D
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

DYSON#2 wrote:Your right rosso... he is a bit like Kep
and your right again, i dont wanna wait years for a top 10 to develop, we already have to wait for Patty Ryder.. i think Hansen is a ready made size
Yes, Ryder will take time but that's fairly normal with a ruckman. I think he was referring more to Bradley (at least that's what I'm thinking). I don't think our list can cope with another one of those. It's struggling with the one we've already got.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

bowzer wrote:i always thought Gumbleton was the preferred choice?

more of a defensive unit where as hansen was capable of filling in at CHB but was primarily a forward player.
sash wrote:I thought it was the other way around Bowzer, Hansen being mroe defensive. Hope the injury is only minor anyway.
Yep, Hansen def. the defender.

The surgery sounds like nothing to worry about. And remember what happened when a certain C. Judd was overlooked for dodgy shoulders (worse than a Hansen's surgery I think) by two teams.
Tamworth Bomber
Top Up Player

Post by Tamworth Bomber »

He will be right & if he is the best defender going in the draft then we get him ... if Carlton take Gibbs first
Brumaz
High Draft Pick

Post by Brumaz »

id be very surprised if carlton dont take gibbs
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Brumaz wrote:id be very surprised if carlton dont take gibbs
They are also very interested in some ruckman guy.
2QIK4U
On the Rookie List

Post by 2QIK4U »

I would be surprised if Carlton go with the Leunberger. Ruckman are notorious for taking time to develop. If they went with Gibbs, for example, they could throw him basically straightaway,
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

2QIK4U wrote:I would be surprised if Carlton go with the Leunberger. Ruckman are notorious for taking time to develop. If they went with Gibbs, for example, they could throw him basically straightaway,
Yes, but take a look at their list, they have NIL ruckmen. With Barnaby French retiring, they have nothing. It won't be an easy decision for them.