Lachlan Hansen - Hip Surgery

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

BenDoolan wrote:
2QIK4U wrote:I would be surprised if Carlton go with the Leunberger. Ruckman are notorious for taking time to develop. If they went with Gibbs, for example, they could throw him basically straightaway,
Yes, but take a look at their list, they have NIL ruckmen. With Barnaby French retiring, they have nothing. It won't be an easy decision for them.
Do you think Josh Kennedy may get a shot at the ruck?
It'd be silly imo but he's big.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

F111 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
2QIK4U wrote:I would be surprised if Carlton go with the Leunberger. Ruckman are notorious for taking time to develop. If they went with Gibbs, for example, they could throw him basically straightaway,
Yes, but take a look at their list, they have NIL ruckmen. With Barnaby French retiring, they have nothing. It won't be an easy decision for them.
Do you think Josh Kennedy may get a shot at the ruck?
It'd be silly imo but he's big.
Personally I don't know, but a mate of mine who is a Carlton supporter cannot decide who is the better option for the draft. They desperately need a ruckman in his opinion, but to pass on Gibbs would be difficult. My bet is that they will pick Gibbs, but won't be surprised if they don't either.
Rusty1978
Top Up Player

Post by Rusty1978 »

To be honest with you, all of the 3-4 players we are talking about here are all very very good. But the reality is that we will only get one!! So really, i would say if Carlton take Gibbs, we take Hansen or vice versa!! I think Hansen is a better bet though. He is the type of player that we are desperatley wanting.
doogle
Regular Senior Player

Post by doogle »

losing by a point to the blues would have made this draft a lot easier...
Rusty1978
Top Up Player

Post by Rusty1978 »

I spose Doogle, but then we would have denied the cockheads from lygon street the chance to add to there ever growing wooden cabinet!! :D
2QIK4U
On the Rookie List

Post by 2QIK4U »

Regardless of who we take with our first pick, be it Gumbleton or Hansen or even Gibbs - they are going to take time to adjust to AFL level and the way we play as a team. If people honestly think getting Hansen and sending him to CHB and he will solve our problems are being very short sighted.

And let me tie in Lee here. He has 2 seasons under his belt, I honestly dont think he will be in a position to hold down CHB for another 2 seasons. He needs time to develop and yes, I want him kept on the list.
nmgilbert
On the Rookie List

Post by nmgilbert »

If Carlton does take Gibbs, is there any chance we will forgo all the talls and pick up a midfielder? I know Selwood supposedly has massive raps on him but was injured all of this year. Most people reckon he would be a better player than Gibbs.
Rusty1978
Top Up Player

Post by Rusty1978 »

I reckon Hansen is the go, providing Carlton dont take him, even a better bet than Gibbs!!

We showed during this year that we got the ball into our forward line plenty of times, just didnt convert, so our midfield will be fine. So i think a big key position player that could slot into CHB is the way to go.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Update on Hansen from the hun today:

Hip op recovery on song
23 October 2006 Herald-Sun
David Hastie

TOP Victorian draft hope Lachlan Hansen says his recovery from hip surgery this month is ahead of schedule.

The key defender had surgery to repair cartilage after completing the national draft camp at the AIS in Canberra.

The surgery has not quelled interest in the 196cm defender, with Carlton believed to be weighing up securing the youngster with the No. 1 pick.

"It (the hip) has pulled up pretty well actually," Hansen said.

"I was supposed to be on crutches for a bit, but I wasn't on crutches or anything. I'm walking around pretty good.

"I fell on it at the start of the year and it just kept getting worse and worse, so I just had to get it cleaned up."

Despite carrying the injury into the draft camp, the under-18 All-Australian centre half-back said the hip injury had hindered him only during the agility test.

"I wasn't really sure if I needed to have it (surgery) done," Hansen said.

"But they just thought it would be best to have it done so I would be prime once the pre-season comes around."

Hansen, who met five clubs during the camp, said he had no idea where he would end up next season.

"None of the clubs said, 'We're really keen to get you'. They just wanted to have a chat, to get to know me. We'll just have to wait and see what happens."
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012