Israel Folau to switch and sign with West Sydney

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
Gnome Chomsky
Top Up Player

Re: Israel Folau to switch and sign with West Sydney

Post by Gnome Chomsky »

Jazz_84 wrote:
Rossoneri wrote:Within 3 years, both players will be gone.
fully agree
For what it is worth i disagree.

The AFL draws its talent from a shallow pool considering the 700 players at the elite level.

Also i dont know another sport that has so much success with converts Jim Stynes, Shaun Wright, Setanta OhAilpin, Dean Brogan, LRT, Tom Williams, Marty Clarke, Martin Pkye and Tagh Kennelly have all made successful transitions from other sports.

I think history shows that it is quite likely that both these guys will make it, sure plenty of players have tried and failed however these guys are already pro athletes and elite in their own sport. Are they worth the money in a pure football sense?? No but i think they will both be capable AFL footballers and Folau may even be elite.
States are not moral agents, people are, and can impose moral standards on powerful institutions - Noam Chomsky
Old mate
Top Up Player

Post by Old mate »

keri wrote:I don't reckon Inglis has the right build for AFL.

And I don't feel sorry for NRL at all. Now they know how Union felt a couple of decades ago.
Inglis has exactly the same build as Lance Franklin, actually. I have posted this on another thread. I think Inglis would be more liekly to succeed than Folau, who has a notoriously small engine.
Old mate
Top Up Player

Post by Old mate »

Gnome Chomsky wrote:
Jazz_84 wrote:
Rossoneri wrote:Within 3 years, both players will be gone.
fully agree
For what it is worth i disagree.

The AFL draws its talent from a shallow pool considering the 700 players at the elite level.

Also i dont know another sport that has so much success with converts Jim Stynes, Shaun Wright, Setanta OhAilpin, Dean Brogan, LRT, Tom Williams, Marty Clarke, Martin Pkye and Tagh Kennelly have all made successful transitions from other sports.

I think history shows that it is quite likely that both these guys will make it, sure plenty of players have tried and failed however these guys are already pro athletes and elite in their own sport. Are they worth the money in a pure football sense?? No but i think they will both be capable AFL footballers and Folau may even be elite.
Exactly Mr Chomsky (*how ironic that you are posting on an "Israel" topic, but that's another story)..the ALF talent pool is really limited to the southern states and some parts of QLD and NSW...there are plenty of budding athletes out there who play other sports that could play AFL. What, do people really believe that AFL transcends all other sports in athleticism, endurance, skill and know-how etc. Pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaassssssseeeeeeeee. Such delusions of grandeur are so shallow.
keri
Regular Senior Player

Post by keri »

Same build as Franklin? He's ten kilos heavier on last weigh in, and he's less than an inch taller.
"Let's face it. If I didn't exist, you'd pay someone to invent me"
Old mate
Top Up Player

Post by Old mate »

keri wrote:Same build as Franklin? He's ten kilos heavier on last weigh in, and he's less than an inch taller.

He is listed on the Storm website as being 104 kg against Franklin's 101 kg...I make that a 3kg difference. Were you camped out in his bathroom this morning Keri watching him get on his scales? Weights fluctuate naturally, but reality is that at one point he was identical (very enarly) to Franklin and could easily get to that weight again, if he isn't already at it...
keri
Regular Senior Player

Post by keri »

Last stats I've seen Franklin was 101 and Inglis was 108-110, depending on when in the week it was.

I
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Old mate wrote:
keri wrote:I don't reckon Inglis has the right build for AFL.

And I don't feel sorry for NRL at all. Now they know how Union felt a couple of decades ago.
Inglis has exactly the same build as Lance Franklin, actually. I have posted this on another thread. I think Inglis would be more liekly to succeed than Folau, who has a notoriously small engine.
I think Folau will be a gun. If he succeeds it will open up the door for islanders to dominate in the AFL. They already dominate in Rugby league.
Islanders could be the next big thing in AFL. I am convinced.(if not by Folau, then Natanui).

They are bigger, faster, stronger.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

keri wrote:Same build as Franklin? He's ten kilos heavier on last weigh in, and he's less than an inch taller.
Franklin is 1cm taller, WOW! :roll:
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

swoodley wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:Correct me if I am wrong but hasnt the AFL said it will underwrite the salaries of these code jumpers???? If this is true then its a disgrace and an insult to clubs that have had to cut players due to salary cap restraints
Not only that WIndy, but the payments are also outside each club's salary cap :evil:
It's just the same as when the AFL under-wrote the salaries of half the guys who went to Brisbane (including Michael Voss, if I remember correctly - which makes his comment the other day a bit laughable) and Tony Lockett (and Ron Barassi) when he went to Sydney.
The mistake in sending the Swans to Sydney in the early 1980s with nothing to back them up (ie no 'stars') backfired for a decade - the AFL, if they're serious about cracking the Syd and Bris markets, have to make this work right from the off.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

I think GWS will succeed because its smack bang in the middle of working class australia.
real people(eg us) who actually go to/follow the football.

it'll be a huge success out west if sheedy can sell it to the islander/african/asian/middle eastern communties which make up most of western sydney.

I think it will be an easier road than what Sydney Swans faced.
keri
Regular Senior Player

Post by keri »

Gimps wrote:
That was my point, gimp. He's less than an INCH taller and lists up to ten kilos heavier.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

keri wrote:
Gimps wrote:
That was my point, gimp. He's less than an INCH taller and lists up to ten kilos heavier.
What is the right build for AFL?

Inglis has every attribute physically that the game demands... If he grew up playing footy I would bet my ring hole that he would have been a top 5 pick in his draft,,, Supreme athlete/freak
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

How would Inglis go with changing direction quickly instead of just running in a straight line?
Would he be able to pick up a ball at full tilt, turn around and kick a goal?
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

swoodley wrote: Short term marketing power if:

a) He doesn't come good as a player
b) Western Sydney fail to have success as a team

Non AFL people are not really going to "flock" and sign up on the basis of them signing Folau....his profile will help with media exposure and thus potentially help them sign sponsors (where the real money is)
I think you're right. It was posed the other day in The Age (can't remember who wrote it) whether many people would switch to Rugby League is J. Selwood switched clubs. The answer was probably not many, certainly not long-term. You either like a sport or not.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

here is a funny

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/m ... -x709.html

nick davis wanting a crack at rugby league...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
keri
Regular Senior Player

Post by keri »

robrulz5 wrote:How would Inglis go with changing direction quickly instead of just running in a straight line?
100 times this.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

robrulz5 wrote:How would Inglis go with changing direction quickly instead of just running in a straight line?
With ease imo