Rookie list possibility

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Rookie list possibility

Post by rama_fan »

Ben Sharp.

Just got delisted from West Coast, never had the opportunities due to such a dominant midfield and lack of injuries.

He was on the Eagles rookie list for 2 years, originally from Melbourne and was very highly rated as a youngster. Was considered quite a suprise when he wasn't drafted in the national draft.

Was selected in AA team of the year 2004 and averaged high numbers (25 possessions a game) at TAC level.

He's probably best remembered for kicking the winning goal in the carnival to win it for Victoria in 2004.

Now I wouldn't suggest wasting a Pre-season pick on him, but I would certainly consider rookie drafting him. Considering West Coast have had such quality rookies recently such as Priddis and Armstrongs who they were forced to elevate, it's not as if he was sacked because he was no good, there just wasn't a midfield spot for him.
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Don't remember him tearing up the WAFL???
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Fair logic. Most midfielders would be struggling for a game at the Eagles, so he might be worth a crack. Certainly sounds much better than some of the other names that are being bandied around.

Or even Michael Embley. I wouldn't know him from a bar of soap, but his brother is a gun, so....? You know, once there's one good footballer in the family, their brothers are bound to be guns too, like Matthew and Brad Lloyd, Nick and Ben Holland, Glen and Allan Jakovich and Luke and Sam Power.
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

I know WCE fans highly rated him at the end of 2005. But WCE have promoted two rookies this year, and overlooked him. Thats not a great sign.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

jimmyc1985 wrote:Fair logic. Most midfielders would be struggling for a game at the Eagles, so he might be worth a crack. Certainly sounds much better than some of the other names that are being bandied around.

Or even Michael Embley. I wouldn't know him from a bar of soap, but his brother is a gun, so....? You know, once there's one good footballer in the family, their brothers are bound to be guns too, like Matthew and Brad Lloyd, Nick and Ben Holland, Glen and Allan Jakovich and Luke and Sam Power.
So which one was the good footballer in that family?
To me, one was less retarted than the other.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Rossoneri wrote:
jimmyc1985 wrote:Fair logic. Most midfielders would be struggling for a game at the Eagles, so he might be worth a crack. Certainly sounds much better than some of the other names that are being bandied around.

So which one was the good footballer in that family?
To me, one was less retarted than the other.
Imagine those two as kids if the ball went over the fence no one would get it as they wouldn't know a "hard Ball get" if it smacked em in the face!!! :) :) :) :)
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

antcl wrote:I know WCE fans highly rated him at the end of 2005. But WCE have promoted two rookies this year, and overlooked him. Thats not a great sign.
I reckon that's even more rationale to pick him up.

They elevated Steven Armstrong and Matt Priddis.

Armstrong is a premiership player and obviously a key part of their side, Priddis played exceptionally well in his only chances (The Geelong comeback game springs to mind) and was pretty much emergency for the last 8 games of the year for them.

Sharp may be no good at all, but I reckon that most other clubs wouldn't have delisted him, it's just that West Coast has a glut of midfielders.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

There may be a few good young guys in line for a rookie spot... Sharp, Iacobucci, Ezard, Davies... the list could go on.
Leigh
Top Up Player

Post by Leigh »

I think WCE will pick up Sharp as a rookie again
as he is training with them

If not worth a punt for essendon rookie list
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
karmabomber
Top Up Player

Post by karmabomber »

Watch out for Ryan Anderson (Captain of Northern Knights) as the best project player in the draft! He is up against a number of aboriginal boys for selection in the main draft and hence may be available as a rookie!

He has pace to burn, great decision-making, vision on both sides and top skills. The downside is his size - around the 180cm mark hence lots of competition. Although he also captained the Vic metro side, didn't get an invite to Draft Camp.

One to watch with interest!!!
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

A. Neville: will almost certainly be rookied by Richmond and could be a serious player. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he came into their team and "did a Dean Polo" by adjusting immediately and becoming an important, regular player.

If they pass on him, we should get him.
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

Alastair?
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

rama_fan wrote:Alastair?
Yes.
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
Yes.
Think I've played against him at junior level.

If it's the guy I'm thinking of he's a freak and absolutely carved us up a new one.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

rama_fan wrote:
jimmyc1985 wrote:
Yes.
Think I've played against him at junior level.

If it's the guy I'm thinking of he's a freak and absolutely carved us up a new one.
He played for Oakleigh in the TAC Cup, and yes, he's a freak. You wouldn't have been the only team that he tore a new one, that's for sure. He nearly died of leather poisoning most weekends.

If he went in the draft when he was in year 11 (2002), he would've gone top 20. As it turned out, in year 12 his footy suffered because he become a zealot of studying, plus he had a severe ankle injury that limited his output. I think he captained Vic Metro in the carnival in 2003, but was played out of position at FB where he's more of a flanker/wingman, plus he still wasn't playing good footy because he took his studies so seriously. In the end, he didn't get drafted in '03, so he went to play in the VFL reserves at Hawthorn in 2004 and by 2005 he was playing in the Box Hill seniors and was in the top 5 nearly every match. He played for Coburg seniors this year and i think just missed out on their B&F even though he missed a number of matches through injury.
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

His name sounds awfully familiar, although I think I'm too young to have played against him. Unless it was just in an Oakleigh trial match or in one the initial squad games, wouldn't have been much after that seeing as I was cut by the Chargers then and there!
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

I have a feeling that there will be a heap of recently delisted players being put on rookie lists next year due to the depth and talent of the national draft. You have to feel for those players, having a bad year before perhaps the best draft ever would kind of suck! :P