Who will we take at Pick 2?

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
bomber_girl
High Draft Pick

Who will we take at Pick 2?

Post by bomber_girl »

Ok, so who do you think the Dons will pick up with Pick 2?

I'm tipping Scott Gumbleton. Sheeds and Dodoro love the talls (Bradley, Ryder), and I think he's been playing in the WAFL against men.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

If Carlton take Gibbs then we will take Hansen.

We need a CHB/FB, Hansen is the best key position backman in the draft. Gumbleton might be a better player but he's more a CHF.

Look to Selwood as a smokey...highly rated but coming back from a knee reco.

Would've gone number 1 easily last year if he was a few months older.
sash
On the Rookie List

Post by sash »

Hansen hopefully he is just to good to pass up on since we need a CHB so badly. Need midfeilders too but that can be delt with later in the draft. Unless the club finds something they really don't like in him or Carlton leave Gibbs free for us than Im thikning Hansen.
Marillion
Top Up Player

Post by Marillion »

This is a funny one because Hansen AND Gumbleton can play at both ends of the ground but Scott has spent most of his time down back..... :evil:
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

I reckon Hansen most likely, the club need a CHB bad.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

I think that with DeLuca leaving, Carlton now have to take Leunberger.

In that case we should take Gibbs at 2.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Staggy wrote:I think that with DeLuca leaving, Carlton now have to take Leunberger.

Yes, that will be an interesting scenario (if it actually eventuates). I really wonder what EFC will do if presented with the choice between Gibbs/Hansen/Gumbleton. This will sure cause a headache for those who have to decide.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Staggy wrote:I think that with DeLuca leaving, Carlton now have to take Leunberger.

might be true, if you actually believe Deluca 'retired'.

All the Carlton fans I've heard talk about him were off the opinion he was one of the biggest hacks going around.

He 'retired' to save the club from delisting him.

They've just picked up Ackland as well.

If they pick up Gibbs then they are drafting arguably the best available player not the one that suits there needs the most. With the talent Luenberger has, it might not be the smartest thing to do in the long run, but all the moves they've made suggest to me they will taking Gibbs.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

ealesy wrote:
If they pick up Gibbs then they are drafting arguably the best available player not the one that suits there needs the most. With the talent Luenberger has, it might not be the smartest thing to do in the long run, but all the moves they've made suggest to me they will taking Gibbs.
You may very well be right but I hope you're not, because I would really like to get Gibbs.

While Carlton would be smart to take Gibbs (for all the reasons you mention), they are still in need of a quality long-term ruckmen. At the moment, the only rucks on their list are Ackland, Bryan, and D.McLaren, none of who are much chop.

Its going to be very interesting, that's for sure. I think that we are in desperate need of a quality midfielder, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us take Selwood if Gibbs goes at No. 1.
Marillion
Top Up Player

Post by Marillion »

We will be taking Bryce Gibbs at pick 2!.....Carlton WILL take Matthew Leuenberger now that Deluca is gone!................ :evil:
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Marillion, why do you feel the need to use the :evil: symbol after every post - are you implying you're a devil worshipper, or perhaps you're just angry with life?
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

jimmyc1985 wrote:Marillion, why do you feel the need to use the :evil: symbol after every post - are you implying you're a devil worshipper, or perhaps you're just angry with life?
Perhaps he is an emo? :lol:
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

Marillion wrote:We will be taking Bryce Gibbs at pick 2!.....Carlton WILL take Matthew Leuenberger now that Deluca is gone!................ :evil:
going by this article, I would say we won't be getting Gibbs, and my tip will be Hansen(Altho I think Gumbleton might be better...).

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/real ... 18793.html
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

tom9779 wrote:
Marillion wrote:We will be taking Bryce Gibbs at pick 2!.....Carlton WILL take Matthew Leuenberger now that Deluca is gone!................ :evil:
going by this article, I would say we won't be getting Gibbs, and my tip will be Hansen(Altho I think Gumbleton might be better...).

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/real ... 18793.html
Have a look at who wrote the article.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Hansen @ #2
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

I'd take Hansen over Gibbs in our present state anyway.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Welcome aboard Lachlan, hope you have a long and successful career!
Sol
Top Up Player

Post by Sol »

ealesy wrote:If Carlton take Gibbs then we will take Hansen.

We need a CHB/FB, Hansen is the best key position backman in the draft. Gumbleton might be a better player but he's more a CHF.

Who is better Gumbleton or Hanson? If Gubleton is better surely he should be our pick. CHF is one of the hardest positions in the game and if he is the best big man available and is a CHF the surely he can start an appreticeship at CHB and take over at CHF when Lucus retires.

Option B. is if he is good enough to take over at CHF in 07 then Lucus can play at CHB where he was AA. In fact I prefer Lucus at CHB, as with Fletch kicking Long to Lucus and Lucus kicking long to the forward line we really break opposition floods and provide plenty of room for what should be a strong forward line next year with Lloyd, Hird, Johns and maybe Gumbleton.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Sol wrote:
ealesy wrote:If Carlton take Gibbs then we will take Hansen.

Who is better Gumbleton or Hanson? If Gubleton is better surely he should be our pick. CHF is one of the hardest positions in the game and if he is the best big man available and is a CHF the surely he can start an appreticeship at CHB and take over at CHF when Lucus retires.

Option B. is if he is good enough to take over at CHF in 07 then Lucus can play at CHB where he was AA. In fact I prefer Lucus at CHB, as with Fletch kicking Long to Lucus and Lucus kicking long to the forward line we really break opposition floods and provide plenty of room for what should be a strong forward line next year with Lloyd, Hird, Johns and maybe Gumbleton.
From all reports, Hansen is a better player. Secondly, Lucas has never been AA (but did win a B&F playing CHB). Thirdly, Lucas may play CHB in any case because Hansen will not walk straight into the team and take that position (assuming our recruiters do in fact recruit him).
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

Hansen sounds the better out of him and Gumbleton. Selwood could be a smokey.