Leunberger

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
Filthy

Leunberger

Post by Filthy »

DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

its a tough selection pick 2, but with Ryder, Laycock and Hille id be leaning towards hansen to fill a CHB.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

So are we saying that Ryder was a waste?

No point in picking up looney if we already have three ruckman and used a 1st round pick on one last year.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

It all depends on where Carlton go. They still might pick Looney up with pick 1 and then Gibbs is on the table.

It's only 2 weeks till the draft and all this will be over.
nmgilbert
On the Rookie List

Post by nmgilbert »

Dont think we need him, a ruck's importance to the side is probably not as huge as a CHB, onballer or CHF.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

The biggest thing we need is a CHB. Would he be capable of playing that position?
bomber_girl
High Draft Pick

Post by bomber_girl »

Nah... Leunberger's a pure ruckman. CHB = Hansen
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

I'm spewing....looks like the f****** DAWKS are going to be gifted the best ruckman available in years at pick 6!!!

Eactly what they need and want as well.

Had years of f****** mediocrity with the priority picks stocking up on midfielder and KPP. However, they got f*** all in terms of decent ruck prospects.

Suddenly there most likely going to be gifted Luenberger with pick 6, because the 5 teams in front of them have more pressing needs to cover.

I almost hope we take Loony with pick 2, just to f*** the Hawks over!!!

God damn it Blues....you're need are ruckman like buggery, just being stubborn bastards and just take him...he'll most likely be a gun anyway!! But no you had to go commit yourself to taking Cain Ackland indicating your going to take f****** Gibbs.

Scum bastards!!! Why won't you f*** the Hawks over!!!
Marillion
Top Up Player

Post by Marillion »

Yeah that's it, lets get a ruckman we don't need just to stuff up the Hawks and in the process miss out on one of the most promising Centre Half Backs in years! I really hope you were joking because if not,you are a tool of the highest order!............... :evil:
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Of course I was joking.

I'm just pissed off that the Hawks are going to be gifted exactly the player they need and want at pick 6 after already being rewarded for gross mediocrity for the past 4-5 years.

Hell if they couldn't find themselves a decent young ruckman in the past 3 years with all their priority picks and first round picks from dudding the Roos at the trade table....they don't deserve a decent young ruck prospect...let alone to be gifted the best one available in years.

God I hate the Hawks.

Come one Brisbane you need a ruckman, you've got Jamie Charman but he falls over injured at the sight of a football, what else to have there now that you've axed both Keating and MacDonald. Surely you'd want/need Loony at pick 4??!!!
2QIK4U
On the Rookie List

Post by 2QIK4U »

I think you will find that Brisbane will take Selwood with their selection - so that he can play with his brother. This is assuming they think he is over his knee problems.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Bloody hell! All the different combinations and possibilities is doing my head in. Imagine being in Dodoro's / Sheeds' shoes. Talk about a one way ticket to the nut-house!

If Looney is as good as Cox in a couple of years, maybe we should grab him and trade one of our other rucks next year for a ready made HB? Quality big men have good leverage in this day and age. Just a thought... :roll:
nmgilbert
On the Rookie List

Post by nmgilbert »

Who would u take a Dean Cox or a Matthew Pavlich type? The difference between the best ruckman and the worst ruckman in the league is a lot smaller than the vast difference between the best and worst key position players.

Imo much better to go for a key position player or an onballer than a ruckman. Especially considering our ruck stocks already.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Doctor Fish wrote:Bloody hell! All the different combinations and possibilities is doing my head in. Imagine being in Dodoro's / Sheeds' shoes. Talk about a one way ticket to the nut-house!

If Looney is as good as Cox in a couple of years, maybe we should grab him and trade one of our other rucks next year for a ready made HB? Quality big men have good leverage in this day and age. Just a thought... :roll:
Yes, but there's also comparison's with Josh Fraser, so he may turn out to be very crap!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Doctor Fish wrote:Bloody hell! All the different combinations and possibilities is doing my head in. Imagine being in Dodoro's / Sheeds' shoes. Talk about a one way ticket to the nut-house!

Andrew Embley decribed a young Dean Cox as un-coordinated and a 'joke' of an AFL footballer and zero chance of making it when he did his first pre-season with the Eagles.

Cox must have showed something no matter how small and the Eagles took the punt. Drafting ruckman is very much hit and miss and Leuenberger aside drafting a ruckman with an early pick doesn't guarantee a great player.

So as you can see, good ruckmen (premiership ruckmen) can develop from complete "jokes".

Interesting article.....

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/arti ... 97009.html
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

BenDoolan wrote:

Andrew Embley decribed a young Dean Cox as un-coordinated and a 'joke' of an AFL footballer and zero chance of making it when he did his first pre-season with the Eagles.

Cox must have showed something no matter how small and the Eagles took the punt. Drafting ruckman is very much hit and miss and Leuenberger aside drafting a ruckman with an early pick doesn't guarantee a great player.

So as you can see, good ruckmen (premiership ruckmen) can develop from complete "jokes".

Interesting article.....

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/arti ... 97009.html
Agreed Ben. But so can mid-fielders, HB's and other key position players for that matter... Can't believe he's only 24!
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

when was the last time a ruckman was taken top 3 in a national draft?

i've read reports gumbleton also has successfully played ruck.
if he can ruck, play down back and play forward, then maybe it is either him or leuenberger sheeds and dodoro are agonising over.

versatile good big men are worth their weight in gold IMO.

they dont seem to come around that often.

whilst it seems there are always plenty of guys around 6ft with a fair bit of pace and good footy smarts to pick from. I'd only use our first pick on a midfielder if he is a freak.(eg like judd/ball type).

if there is more than one lad who fits that bill this year(ie other than Gibbs) take him.

the only name I have heard mention in that mould besides gibbs is selwood.
Leigh
Top Up Player

Post by Leigh »

Gardiner was Pick No1 in the Draft a while ago now tho
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Gardiner was I think 1997?

Fraser was pick 1 in 1999.
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

Leunberger with the lot thanks!