Who will we take at Pick 2?

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Selwoods better then the lot. Dont forget he was AA captain infront of Marc Murphy when he was a bottom age player.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

boncer34 wrote:Selwoods better then the lot. Dont forget he was AA captain infront of Marc Murphy when he was a bottom age player.
Yes, but plenty of people have said things to the effect of 'if Marc Murphy was in this year's draft instead of last year's, he wouldn't even be in the top 8'.
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

Some people have gone as far as top 12...
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
boncer34 wrote:Selwoods better then the lot. Dont forget he was AA captain infront of Marc Murphy when he was a bottom age player.
Yes, but plenty of people have said things to the effect of 'if Marc Murphy was in this year's draft instead of last year's, he wouldn't even be in the top 8'.
And some people had Selwood at number 1 before his knee. Which he is over, guarantee 100%.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Is that you Joel?? :D
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

Crowny wrote:Hansen sounds the better out of him and Gumbleton. Selwood could be a smokey.
what is it about hansen that makes him sound like such a good recruit over gumbleton?

Gumbleton scored midfielder type results in the beep test at camp and has played successfully at both ends of the ground.

From what I have heard of Hansen, is that his skills aren't great but he is a fantastic ball winner, with plenty of courage.

I;ve seen a game or two on ABC of gumbleton playing, never seen hansen tho.
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

Hopefully we take whoever we think is better of Gumbleton or Hansen.
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

Hopefully we take whoever we think is better of Gumbleton or Hansen.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

tom9779 wrote:
Crowny wrote:Hansen sounds the better out of him and Gumbleton. Selwood could be a smokey.
what is it about hansen that makes him sound like such a good recruit over gumbleton?

Gumbleton scored midfielder type results in the beep test at camp and has played successfully at both ends of the ground.

From what I have heard of Hansen, is that his skills aren't great but he is a fantastic ball winner, with plenty of courage.

I;ve seen a game or two on ABC of gumbleton playing, never seen hansen tho.
Hansen is a defender, which is what Essendon need, Gumbelton is a forward. There are enough tall forwards on the list.
bomber_girl
High Draft Pick

Post by bomber_girl »

Hmm I think we might go Hansen
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

Actually, I think the reason many rate Hansen over Gumbleton is that a lot of people are split over which is better.

Personally, with Lloyd 29 and Lucas 28 (I think), I don't mind either of them. By the time they hit their straps, we'll be able to use them at either end of the ground.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

No not really antcl. Well not from what I've heard at least.

Hansen is a CHB, who has looked pretty poor when played forward.

On the other hand Gumbleton is a CHF who has shown some pretty good form at CHB as well.

Also from what I've read it seems pretty much a 50/50 split over who is rated higher out of Hansen and Gumbleton.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

Hansen is a defender, which is what Essendon need, Gumbelton is a forward. There are enough tall forwards on the list.
the whole 2 games i caught on ABC2 with gumbleton playing, he played down back and dominated.

the one think hansen has going for him is he is a victorian.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

tom9779 wrote:
the whole 2 games i caught on ABC2 with gumbleton playing, he played down back and dominated.

the one think hansen has going for him is he is a victorian.
I don't want a dominating CHB at Essendon. I just want a player who in a few years may be good enough to shut down or at least limit the big forwards on opposing teams.
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

j-mac wrote: I don't want a dominating CHB at Essendon. I just want a player who in a few years may be good enough to shut down or at least limit the big forwards on opposing teams.
Whoever they put down there doesnt need to be a Glen Jakovich. Right now I would almost settle for someone like Kevin Walsh
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

ealesy wrote:No not really antcl. Well not from what I've heard at least.

Hansen is a CHB, who has looked pretty poor when played forward.

On the other hand Gumbleton is a CHF who has shown some pretty good form at CHB as well.

Also from what I've read it seems pretty much a 50/50 split over who is rated higher out of Hansen and Gumbleton.
I'd heard that Hansen was considered able to play either end. I also said people were split over who was better.

But as I said, with Lloyd, Lucas & Fletcher all probably gone or close to gone in 3-4yrs, and that most KP players don't hit their straps until they're 22, either one being able to play either end will fill holes for us.

So I don't care who is picked as long as EFC thinks its the best of the two. But in mock drafts/preferences I'll keep saying Hansen as he's nominally what I think we need more (CHB).