Nathan Ablett

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Nathan Ablett

Post by Doctor Fish »

Sounds like Sheeds is up to old tricks. Stated yesterday on SEN he was chasing the younger, still uncontracted Ablett from Geelong in the PSD. Haven't seen much of the kid. Know he's tall and can take a good grab. Any thoughts chaps?
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Why not!

He looks like a player and was never comfortable going to Geelong. Probably best thing for him would be to get away from all the baggage at Kardinia Park (including the rather imposing figure of his brother). Having said that, I cant imagine Geelong letting him go too easily
Dizzy_69
Regular Senior Player

Post by Dizzy_69 »

Geelong fans would be burning down the town if Ablett walked out
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

doing him a huge favour.

Nathan Ablett would have just received a healthy pay rise.

and Geelongs space in its cap just gets tighter......
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Excerpt from an article in the hun:

Geelong's new football director Neil Balme said Sheedy was wasting his time.

While Balme conceded Ablett was uncontracted, he expected him to sign a new deal soon.

"Nathan has had a manager, but we don't think it (new contract) will be an issue," Balme said. "We are in the process of doing it."

Balme said Ablett had completed his second season with Geelong and the club was keen to keep him.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

yep because we really lack "key forwards" and apart from 1.5 quarters in his first AFL game when his big brother was spoon feeding him....what the f*** has he done at AFL LEVEL to suggest he would be a good AFL Footballer.

Hooray Sheeds, he played well in the VFL Grand Final...must mean he's going to make it as an AFL footballer!!!
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

ealesy wrote:yep because we really lack "key forwards" and apart from 1.5 quarters in his first AFL game when his big brother was spoon feeding him....what the f*** has he done at AFL LEVEL to suggest he would be a good AFL Footballer.

Hooray Sheeds, he played well in the VFL Grand Final...must mean he's going to make it as an AFL footballer!!!
Lloyd & Lucas arnt going to be around for ever

in 5 years time i wouldnt mind every team talking about our forwards of Neagle, Johns and Ablett
2QIK4U
On the Rookie List

Post by 2QIK4U »

ealesy wrote:yep because we really lack "key forwards" and apart from 1.5 quarters in his first AFL game when his big brother was spoon feeding him....what the f*** has he done at AFL LEVEL to suggest he would be a good AFL Footballer.

So you are saying that we wouldn't take him in the PSD? Like there ARE better players available......
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

2QIK4U wrote:

So you are saying that we wouldn't take him in the PSD? Like there ARE better players available......
Well that's just the things....he isn't available in the PSD at the moment...he hasn't been delisted by Geelong, he just hasn't signed a new contract.

I woul bet there are still a fair few better players than him out there in that situation as well.

And if he's that good Geelong well eventually offer him whatever contract he wants to prevent him from going in the PSD.

Ever thought he might just be jacked with AFL footy...was never all that keen to join up in the first place??!!

And I was simply saying I didn't understand why everyone had got hard-ons over the fact he might be available in the PSD, when he pretty much done bugger all at AFL level.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I'm with ealsey on this one. It is a well known fact that he is afraid, literally scared of the AFL spotlight and of who he is. He will never be an AFL footballer of note unless he stands up and says "I am Nathan Ablett, I am Gary Ablett Snr's son, and I'm going to make a name for myself". Instead, he hides away from who he is, and wishes to be elsewhere other than the AFL. The amount of coaxing and convincing Geelong had to do just to get him there was incredible. The guy didn't even participate in the TAC cup because of his fear of publicity. The guy has issues. And as ealesy has said, he probably couldn't give a stuff about signing another contract.......anywhere!
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

He would be worth a shot but it would be a risk.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

BenDoolan wrote:I'm with ealsey on this one. It is a well known fact that he is afraid, literally scared of the AFL spotlight and of who he is. He will never be an AFL footballer of note unless he stands up and says "I am Nathan Ablett, I am Gary Ablett Snr's son, and I'm going to make a name for myself". Instead, he hides away from who he is, and wishes to be elsewhere other than the AFL. The amount of coaxing and convincing Geelong had to do just to get him there was incredible. The guy didn't even participate in the TAC cup because of his fear of publicity. The guy has issues. And as ealesy has said, he probably couldn't give a stuff about signing another contract.......anywhere!
We can't all be extraverts Benny. Must be tough being like that in a town like Geelong which rides the highs and lows of it's team like no other. It's a total fishbowl down there... Maybe the Cats picked him too young? Understandable really considering his old man is. Just a thought...
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Doctor Fish wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:I'm with ealsey on this one. It is a well known fact that he is afraid, literally scared of the AFL spotlight and of who he is. He will never be an AFL footballer of note unless he stands up and says "I am Nathan Ablett, I am Gary Ablett Snr's son, and I'm going to make a name for myself". Instead, he hides away from who he is, and wishes to be elsewhere other than the AFL. The amount of coaxing and convincing Geelong had to do just to get him there was incredible. The guy didn't even participate in the TAC cup because of his fear of publicity. The guy has issues. And as ealesy has said, he probably couldn't give a stuff about signing another contract.......anywhere!
We can't all be extraverts Benny. Must be tough being like that in a town like Geelong which rides the highs and lows of it's team like no other. It's a total fishbowl down there... Maybe the Cats picked him too young? Understandable really considering his old man is. Just a thought...
I'm not saying I don't understand his plight, I'm simply saying he's not worth the trouble because of his "phobia". Nothing wrong with being an introvert if you can perform to the best of your ability. Seems to me he is afraid to do so because of the hype he will receive.
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

Chances are he is going to be re-signed to Geelong. Even if he does not re-sign with the cats I reckon Essendon has more pressing needs than forwards right now. They are a CHB short (at this point in time, hopefully this will be addressed in the draft or by Andrew Lee) and need to plan for the retirement of Fletcher. Right now these are more pressing needs than drafting another key forward (or a ruckman for that matter).
tony coz
On the Rookie List

Post by tony coz »

it would be worth it just to hear the essendon supporters yell.......YYYABLETTT...........ala Rexy Hunt....at the MCG
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

The same traits really affected his father's career....
doogle
Regular Senior Player

Post by doogle »

A lot of you were wrong on this one...

Post by Guest »

doogle wrote:A lot of you were wrong on this one...
been handy at time this year, but still don't think he's going to be a dominant player.

seems to me that he'll pretty much always be the third tall forward. Tommy Hawkins is destined to be the next superstar Geelong forward, not Nathan Ablett.
doogle
Regular Senior Player

Post by doogle »

Hawkins Ablett Mooney will be there for a while. Nathan would walk into our team. He's still young without a lot of top grade footy.

Post by Guest »

doogle wrote:Hawkins Ablett Mooney will be there for a while. Nathan would walk into our team. He's still young without a lot of top grade footy.
Would he now....averages 5 kicks, 3 marks and 3 handballs in his career and kicks 1.4 goals a match.

Courtney Johns averages 6 kicks, 4 marks, 1 handball and 1 goal in his career.

I don't see Courtney walking into our side, and therefore, wouldn't see Nathan Ablett doing the same either. Maybe because his name is Ablett you seem to think he is better than he actually is....