MAL MICHAEL

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

Just quietly I reckon we've done some dodgies here.

I reckon Sheedy would have been talking to Mal well during the season, they've pretty much kept it quiet to avoid Carlton picking him at No.1.

Sheedy is a cunning f***.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

I wouldnt have given up a pick for Mal, but I would have given up the #2 in the PSD.

Brisbane cant do anything about it. They delisted him after he retired, he has now come back out of retirement, not sure how the AFL can stop that.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
sconsey
On the Rookie List

Post by sconsey »

Yes, sum sneaky business has been done, but it is all within the rules at the moment, though I'd say the rules will be changed as of now so it doesnt happen in the future. :lol:
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

BenDoolan wrote:
CameronClayton wrote:
It was only yesterday that Horsburgh was saying that the reason we didn't chase Aker too hard, was that we were looking at a flag in 2010, not make up the numbers in the 8 in the next couple. This signing goes against that, so which direction is the club heading?
There is a difference in chasing Aker and having to give up either #1 a couple of good players or #2 a couple of early picks. Getting Mal Michael the way we have has cost us FA, and we have without doubt the best pickup in the PSD. It means we didn't have to sign some complete hack because that's all there is.
You beat me to the punch Ben. It's especially good when you consider what else is available. Although I heard that Brisbane let young Anthony Corrie go. Thought he might have been worthy of another gig elsewhere...
sconsey
On the Rookie List

Post by sconsey »

Doctor Fish wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
CameronClayton wrote:
It was only yesterday that Horsburgh was saying that the reason we didn't chase Aker too hard, was that we were looking at a flag in 2010, not make up the numbers in the 8 in the next couple. This signing goes against that, so which direction is the club heading?
There is a difference in chasing Aker and having to give up either #1 a couple of good players or #2 a couple of early picks. Getting Mal Michael the way we have has cost us FA, and we have without doubt the best pickup in the PSD. It means we didn't have to sign some complete hack because that's all there is.
You beat me to the punch Ben. It's especially good when you consider what else is available. Although I heard that Brisbane let young Anthony Corrie go. Thought he might have been worthy of another gig elsewhere...
I mentioned that ages ago, but no-one was interested in acquiring him...
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

no one was interested in trading for him....or picking him up unless he was 100% committed to his football, at that stage he was saying he wasn't.
nmgilbert
On the Rookie List

Post by nmgilbert »

SEN right now
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

tom9779 wrote:nothing outside the rules....but I imagine a clause will be added to footy contracts from now on....

for example I had one of these in my contract when I worked for a internet company a while ago. I had to refrain from entering the same business for a year after employment.
no doubt this will become common in football as well if the issue drags on.
we should be fine tho.
There is such a contract, which is given out standard. But in Brisbane's case, there wasn't much point asking Mal to sign it given he was "retiring". This was damn low of Michael if he knew ahead of time. He deliberately stuffed the club that helped him win 3 premiership medals.
Filthy wrote:After getting it up the arse from the AFL since 2000....this feels beautiful!!! :D We are getting one back on all those bastards!!

Go ahead Vlad.... try and stop it...and have MM into the Supreme Court with a restraint of Trade action that you know he will win under the Trade Practices Act. You wouldn't dare.

Anyway...Watto retired and came back after being drafted by the WCE....so did Fish after playing with the Dawks.....whats the diff!!???
They might not be able to stop Michael directly, but they may be able to stop Essendon.

The more I think about it, the more this stinks. Have we just recruited an absolute mercenary into the side, who doesn't care about loyalty one whit? And if so, what good will that do our youngsters?

Remember, wasn't he one of the thugs that hit Riewoldt's shoulder after they knew it was injured?

I think Mal is a terrific player, but given where Essendon is at and who he is, I'm really really hoping the AFL nips this in the bud.
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

He's not the best public speaker going around is he?

Still as long as he's committed it's great to have him.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Another thought: one of the best things about picking Michael up is that Lloyd will no longer have to play on him. Can't recall a time where Lloyd ever really stitched him up. Ever.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Staggy wrote:Another thought: one of the best things about picking Michael up is that Lloyd will no longer have to play on him. Can't recall a time where Lloyd ever really stitched him up. Ever.
:lol: Good point.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Filthy

Post by Filthy »

antcl wrote:
tom9779 wrote:nothing outside the rules....but I imagine a clause will be added to footy contracts from now on....

for example I had one of these in my contract when I worked for a internet company a while ago. I had to refrain from entering the same business for a year after employment.
we should be fine tho.
There is such a contract, which is given out standard. But in Brisbane's case, there wasn't much point asking Mal to sign it given he was "retiring". This was damn low of Michael if he knew ahead of time. He deliberately stuffed the club that helped him win 3 premiership medals.
Filthy wrote:After getting it up the arse from the AFL since 2000....this feels beautiful!!! :D We are getting one back on all those bastards!!

Go ahead Vlad.... try and stop it...and have MM into the Supreme Court with a restraint of Trade action that you know he will win under the Trade Practices Act. You wouldn't dare.

Anyway...Watto retired and came back after being drafted by the WCE....so did Fish after playing with the Dawks.....whats the diff!!???
They might not be able to stop Michael directly, but they may be able to stop Essendon.

The more I think about it, the more this stinks. Have we just recruited an absolute mercenary into the side, who doesn't care about loyalty one whit? And if so, what good will that do our youngsters?

Remember, wasn't he one of the thugs that hit Riewoldt's shoulder after they knew it was injured?

I think Mal is a terrific player, but given where Essendon is at and who he is, I'm really really hoping the AFL nips this in the bud.
Suggest you read my post about his press conference.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

antcl wrote:

we should be fine tho.

Don't see the problem here Ant. If you're making a judgement about the character of the man, maybe you should read up a bit more about his activities outside football. As for Big Mal the player, how good will it be to have some intimidation back playing in our team for a change. BRING IT AAAAAWWWN!!!

As someone mentioned previously. How good is the first Ess v Bris game going to be? Especially if Brownie's fit for a change... Anyone know if it's in Melb?
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Staggy wrote:Another thought: one of the best things about picking Michael up is that Lloyd will no longer have to play on him. Can't recall a time where Lloyd ever really stitched him up. Ever.
yeah maybe, but Lloyd's prospects of getting a few ripper interclub matches earlier in the summer have just gone the drain!!! :D :D :D
Bombers4Premiers
Regular Senior Player

Post by Bombers4Premiers »

Doctor Fish wrote:As someone mentioned previously. How good is the first Ess v Bris game going to be? Especially if Brownie's fit for a change... Anyone know if it's in Melb?
Round 8
Saturday 19 May
Essendon vs. Brisbane Lions - Telstra Dome (Day) - 2:10pm
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

antcl wrote:Remember, wasn't he one of the thugs that hit Riewoldt's shoulder after they knew it was injured?
How does that make him a thug? If reiwoldt was injured, he should have gone off. I would be fuming if an Essendon player didnt do the same thing to an opponent. It was all fair, nothing was done to give away a free kick.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

More from an article on afl.com:

We made contact with Mal for the first time on November 2, through his manager Michael Quinlan, when we asked whether he would re-consider his retirement because we knew he was coming to Melbourne."

Jackson said that he also checked with AFL investigator Ken Wood as to whether the Bombers could secure Michael and had been given the go-ahead.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

Ben, you missed the gist of what i said. Horsburgh said they didn't recruit Aker cause they were looking at a flag for 2010 & beyond. Aker is 29 & 3 time premiership winner, the same as Michael is - in my eyes, no difference.

And the Doggies only gave up pick 30 something for Aker anyway, cheap as chips.

I have no problems with morals in regards to stealing him from BrisVegas - WCE did it to us with Watson, even though he never played with them, although as soon as they delisted him, he decided to come out of retirement & play with us in 1993 - no wonder other clubs hate dealing with us anymore, although I couldn't give a toss. We are in it to win flags, not friends. They are only our friends when they give the ok for Rama to play as a mature rookie :wink:

Now just wait for Carlton to get their ultimate revenge & pinch him from under our noses.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

CameronClayton wrote:Ben, you missed the gist of what i said. Horsburgh said they didn't recruit Aker cause they were looking at a flag for 2010 & beyond. Aker is 29 & 3 time premiership winner, the same as Michael is - in my eyes, no difference.

And the Doggies only gave up pick 30 something for Aker anyway, cheap as chips.

I have no problems with morals in regards to stealing him from BrisVegas - WCE did it to us with Watson, even though he never played with them, although as soon as they delisted him, he decided to come out of retirement & play with us in 1993 - no wonder other clubs hate dealing with us anymore, although I couldn't give a toss. We are in it to win flags, not friends. They are only our friends when they give the ok for Rama to play as a mature rookie :wink:

Now just wait for Carlton to get their ultimate revenge & pinch him from under our noses.
a PSD pick is even cheaper than the national draft.

Aker wasn't pursued after he made it clear he wanted a 3 year contract.
We would have had him if the requirement was only 2 years.

Carlton have signed Ackland and announced this as their 1st pick....it does make an interesting point if they reneg this....i doubt it though.
nmgilbert
On the Rookie List

Post by nmgilbert »

From the Brisbane Lions Website:

The Brisbane Lions have labeled ‘retired’ star Mal Michael’s shock two-year deal with the Essendon Football Club as a disgrace and an alarming precedent for the AFL.

When Michael was released from the final year of his Lions contract, he agreed to two years of ambassadorial duties for the Club, including game development in his native Papua New Guinea. This ambassadorship was on the understanding that Michael had genuinely retired from the AFL.

The 29-year-old full-back was granted early release after citing a lack of passion for the rigors of full-time professional football, stating that he wanted to move on with the next phase of his life.

The Lions are asking the AFL to rule Michael ineligible for December’s pre-season draft where Essendon have confirmed they will select him as their first round choice.

The Club will not rule out any options, including legal action, to ensure it is duly compensated for what is essentially a top drawer trade to Essendon.

Lions Chief Executive Michael Bowers said the matter should ring alarm bells for the AFL.

“Michael’s actions are disgraceful and make a mockery of the AFL draft system that ensures Club contracts are not at the mercy of players’ hidden agendas or changing whims,” Mr Bowers said.

“Mal said that he wanted to retire from full-time footy, so we agreed on terms out of respect for his personal wishes. If he really wanted to play for a Melbourne side then he should have prepared us for trading so we could be fairly compensated for losing a contracted year of his services.

“Essendon’s announcement makes a farce of Michael’s retirement discussions with us only six weeks ago when we feted the close of his career at the Lions’ Best and Fairest. We want the AFL to investigate this matter and we believe Michael should be disqualified from the draft and have his player registration refused for 2007.

“If this situation is left to stand, then the integrity of AFL contracts and the drafting system will be seriously undermined. It creates the potential for anarchy and no other AFL Club could seriously support such a precedent that could jeopardise their own future football planning.

“We will examine all avenues for stopping Mal Michael playing for Essendon or any other senior AFL Club until the end of 2007.”

It will be interesting to see how it turns out.